Are games getting worse? Or am I losing Interest?

Aleks

I find most games super repetitive after a while. Maybe i expect too much, but i loved for example Darksiders 2, it's an awesome hack n slash and you learn new abilities and you have a lot of weapons.

Lately i've found the games to always have the same animation for the whole game, and i find that boring.

The only game i am looking forward right now is assasins creed unity, but considering the requirements, the cinematic 30fps bullcrap, and all that, i'm not so exited right now. I think a game has to ethier have an incredible story, or fantastic gameplay, a repetitive game with a shitty story is just not worth it.

Rig: I5-3570K@4.3Ghz - Cooler Thermaltake Frio Advanced - Ram Kingston 1333Mhz 8gb (2x4) - GPU GTX 970 4GD5T OC - Motherboard Z77MA-G45 - PSU CoolerMaster GX II 750w - Storage WD 500gb HDD - Sound Edifier M3700 5.1 - Headset Corsair Vengeance 1500 - Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013 - Keyboard Razer Anansi - Mousepad Steelseries QcK+ - Xbox 360 Wireless Controller x2

Games are getting worse because the love of actually making a game has gone away.  Hence, we are on part 4 and 5 of every game, paying to win, or re-branding every idea that has already been used.

Games will get good when you create something like BF4 with World of Warcraft.  This country is filled with too many whiny babies so when people die too much they cry too much. Resulting in nerfs and all the top end players leaving. This cycle happens to every game.

Plus you hear about a game coming out but it isn't coming out for a year... WTF is that?  The list goes on.

Also, we have to make the human cattle herd (PS4 and Xbox) cash machine going so that hurts pc graphics.. on and on and on.  Getting tired of games as well.

We need a fun game were we are not running around like ants and just killing eachother mindlessly (like BF4) then respawning to do it all over again.  

Get some balls and be creative.  We have the potential to do so and we are not taking advantage of the infinite market out there to be successful.

As people already stated bit of both. I made a mistake of playing too much MMO-s over single player games so i missed alot of good titles,but now im got mmo burned and catching up. Even older games can still give you alot of fun,try not to focus only on upcoming releases :)

"It is complete. I have created a god. But I have no control over it."" -Ergo Proxy

Games are just getting worse. Instead of making games harder in general or at  pvp and just play overall they are trying to appeal to casual less competitive players. (ie LOL, Heroes of the storm, archage, new mmos, BF 3/4 Cod is still the same old game from years ago) Sadly casual players are the target market for all these companies. Sadly the 3-4 most streamed games on twitch (hearthstone dota 2 , lol, and Counter strike global have next to no cpu requirements) Just like how intel keep pumping out these super GPU and processors  with hyperthreading but yet 90% of games appeal to the budget games that still run dual core stuff with older gpus. So my friend, we are losing out interest due to the lack of i challenging/harder games. Most games that are harder or have harder content usually get patched because the game realizes that all of its casual players can not do the content, so they rush to NERF/dumb it down.   

I believe that you might not like the way that games have changed recently. What you could do is possibly replay some of the older, more classic games that you do like, or even classics that you havent ever played. See if its just the way games are now or if its just the possibility that your life might be taking a bigger toll out of you to experience the fun in certain titles anymore. 
Personally, I feel the same way with some titles. I believe the developers are trying too hard to pander to every audience and therefore dont focus on what important. To try and get around that I am playing games that are a bit older. Currently Im replaying Bioshock 1, Crono Trigger, and Final Fantasy 6.
However, one of the other problems you might be having is that you may be wrapping yourself in playing a single genre, or ones that are far too similar. See if some game variety may help.

AAA games are getting a lot worse, indie games are getting a lot better

publishers are forcing content creators to build games for the lowest common denominator

Games that recently came out that I'd recommend (have played)

-Shadow of Mordor

-Depth (mp horror, asymmetrical sharks vs divers) just released at $25 and everyone should check it out

It's getting worse. We're in a recycling cycle at the moment, just releasing the same crap over and over again because if it made money the first time around, surely it will make money again.

The industry is dominated by soulless capitalists with all the artistic integrity of boiled turnip. Don't expect much to change till we have a second video game crash.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

I would agree with some of the other comments about how the industry is currently in a fairly full-on "recycle mode", but, for me personally, things like the nemesis system in Shadow of Mordor, little innovations that prove that game developers are still trying experiment with new things, give me hope in the future of gaming.

And, yes, there are some good gems in the indie scene. Although, in general, "indie" != "good" by any stretch -- just look at the majority of games sitting in Steam Greenlight, for instance. But occasionally, you'll get your Stanley Parable's, your Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, your Transistors (not too sure what made me think of these three).

Anyway, I think with any established creative medium, the vast majority of it is always going to be junk/mediocre. Some of it will be well funded, big budget, predictable junk like a good number of typical summer blockbusters, pop music, etc. Some of it will just be plain junk, but sometimes you'll get the gems. You'll find some game that'll stick with you as a reminder of why you love gaming -- at least for me whenever I get in this kind of mood, I eventually do.

I can't find a game that interests me either. I had good hopes for Civ Beyond Earth and see how that turned out.. 

I've also felt a lack of interest in games the past year/s. The last game I really enjoyed was The Witcher 2, since then the only games I've played are battlefield 4, Mass effect 3 and Metro Last Light, but quickly lost interest in them. So I haven't really been playing any games lately until I picked up Divinity Original Sin and I'm really enjoying it, you should give it a go if you haven't already. I mostly play on the weekends I feel this helps.

More and more triple A games are suffering from consolitus. (true story) <_<

I agree with what several others already mentioned; that triple A games aren't getting much better, but indie games are getting WAY better. Recently, more often than not, the games that actually stir something inside me and really hook my interest have been indie games.

Aside from that, if you haven't played or modded Skyrim, that will keep you busy for a very long time. It feels like a whole new game and with the visual mods, can look just as good as any new release today even. You can custom tailor just about everything in that game to your liking. When ever I get bored of gaming, but I still want to play something, I fire up my heavily modded skyrim, enjoy the scenery and just get lost in that world. It's awesome and never gets boring for me. :D

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

I personally play TF2 and CSGO alot (800 hrs on csgo and approaching 1300 in tf2). No single-player game has really peaked my interest at all though recently. Although I do like to fool around with skyrim mods a little.

like the other said,games are getting bad. i'm not too hyped about game anymore.when i was 7 till 11 (i guess?) i was exited to play games because it's still good. but maybe you are losing interest,like me. if you do, try get a girlfriend,play sports,etc

It seems that nowadays 95% of all new games are some sort of FPS and I haven't had any interest in those for atleast 10 years. The last FPS that I was really into was Quake II in 1997. That being said, there are several games coming out in the near future that I'm excited about, like DA:I, Witcher 3, Star Citizen, Elite Dangerous and maybe GTA V.

A bit of both. I was in the same boat not too long ago. You just have to take a break and think of something else thatn gaming

Publishers make a new version of a game every fteaking year = rushed crap out of someones butthole with little changes from previous title.

And then u have all DLC BS and poor ports to pc because biggest sale is on consoles and care for pc is not existant.

Tahat being said, i can say with confidence that there is one game a year which is really worth the money.

For me, its been likebthis: 2013 (CS:GO), 2014 (Next Car Game) and next year im picking up GTA V (worth the money ? To be seen but im pre-ordering it anyway because i love that game ).

I personally cant play singleplayer games anymore, i find them very boring because i need human interaction, not an AI.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Getting worse? Not quite. I definitely feel where your coming from, its more just our preferences and general interest in games that's been declining lately. While one thing I can say fairly surely is that release quality has been on a huge decline. Mainly due to release dates becoming a larger issue and games themselves becoming ridiculously more complex and large games are getting. The oldies are still there though I should point out. We have games like Banished, Towns (yeah, there's actually some devs working on the game again!!), and a few more arcade-like shooters and RTS's (planetary annihilation comes to mind). If main stream gaming can't catch your attention anymore, perhaps its time to start digging around.