PS3 OS and Linux

I'm sure this question has been asked quite a few times but I'll ask it again because I'm too lazy to search. If the PlayStation 3 operating system is linux based, is it possible to copy it to a pc and run ps3 games on pc, or is this near impossible?

near impossible

"Anything that makes a console more like a PC, makes it better" 

-Linus Sebastian

It may be possible, though I doubt it will work very well.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

idk if its possible or not but there is a ps3 emulator in the making but its still in alpha so maybe wait a bit but the guy that is working on the emulator was able to run 1 game but the fps he got with a 780 ti i think was 10 - 15.

My PC

[ I5 4690k (no oc) - Gigabyte Z97 D3H - 8GB Ram - Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X ]

No it won't work. The PS3 Cpu is based on the "Cell Architecture", which is completely different from your pc's x86 architecture. This is also the reason why there aren't any ps3/xb360 emulators since cell is very hard to emulate

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

I'm sure this question has been asked quite a few times but I'll ask it again because I'm too lazy to search. If the PlayStation 3 operating system is linux based, is it possible to copy it to a pc and run ps3 games on pc, or is this near impossible?

This was possible for the original PS3, but I'm pretty Sony modified it later on to block such act.

But I'm pretty sure @connorpiper can clarify this.

#SAMSUNG  "provided us 4 1tb ssds so we could run the whole site off solid state." - LinusTech

#GALAXY

#ATIV

Interesting. I love this forum because everyone is so fast at responses! I wonder if it will be possible with the ps4 or xbone since they're both based on x86 architecture?

You can use Linux on PS3 but it was in a old software. You can't use it now because the feature that was needed to run Linux on PS3 is removed from newer PS3 models and old PS3 models from a firmware update.

3.21 was the firmware update that removed the feature that allowed you to use Linux.

I think it was 3.15 that you can still use the feature for Linux.

But again, @connorpiper would probably know more than me because he has the fat PS3 that could be used for Linux(if you had the old software)

You can use Linux on PS3 but it was in a old software. You can't use it now because the feature that was needed to run Linux on PS3 is removed from newer PS3 models and old PS3 models from a firmware update.

3.21 was the firmware update that removed the feature that allowed you to use Linux.

I think it was 3.15 that you can still use the feature for Linux.

But again, @connorpiper would probably know more than me because he has the fat PS3 that could be used for Linux(if you had the old software)

Nope. I like the Fat PS3 with the reqular OS. You cannot use PS3 games on a computer due to the Cell CPU. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

This was possible for the original PS3, but I'm pretty Sony modified it later on to block such act.

But I'm pretty sure @connorpiper can clarify this.

'Twas the "Fat" PS3 only

And no, the games are made to run on the Cell CPU. 

What? 

I'm saying that even though it runs the Lnuix based OS. The PS3 has the Cell Processor.

And has not been emulated yet. 

How much difference is there between x86 and a cell cpu? Sounds like there is quite a bit. Is the cell cpu less efficient?