Spilled coke on my keyboard, now my "i" key is half-broken.

herecomestheking
Go to solution Solved by Tech_Dreamer,
Lel! i thought you were talking gibberish until i realized that is the keyboard faulty typo itself :D  ( i = io )

Anyways, i think you need to clean out your Keyboard with proper tools, since coke is dried up by now there must be sugar crystals that got stuck between those & causing these, your best alternative is to use another temporary keyboard for now & try to clear out the current KB, remove the key caps individual or the whole thing since you spilled everywhere , from the keyboard it self & wash it off preferably in isopropalcohol or just plain 100% vodka (clean & have a glass of drink afterwards ;))

use a q-tip to clean out the sugar crystals from the key pins (put up a few drops around it & press down in a fast pace until you get the original feel to the key press back) & you probably gonna  dampen it first with a bit of water inorder to loosen the keys from the sugar molecules stuck to it then use the isoprop to make it dry.. ususally this works in a few cases :/ but depends on your luck..

it's gonna take a bit of time or you can try to RMA it, but in most cases they won't since it's not a good thing for them to deal with these kinda things.. Also Check out  this video from paul.

Last nioght IO spiolled coke on my keyboard. Everythiong works except for my "i" key. As you can see, everytiome IO press iot down IO get an o behiond iot. IOs there anyway IO can fiox thios? IOt's pretty annoyiong, hah. IOt's a Corsaior K95 wioth red swiootches.

take the key off and clean it? 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

I don't think you can issue a RMA since this is user based damage. Try the rice trick- submerge your keyboard in a bag of dry rice for 24 hours to get rid of all the moisture. That should fix it. Kindly update us with the results.

I hope this helps! :)

PC in Profile

remove all key caps and as much of the keyboard as you can, use a slightly damp cloth to remove any coke residue, or isoprop alchohol. then use rice bag

Lel! i thought you were talking gibberish until i realized that is the keyboard faulty typo itself :D  ( i = io )

Anyways, i think you need to clean out your Keyboard with proper tools, since coke is dried up by now there must be sugar crystals that got stuck between those & causing these, your best alternative is to use another temporary keyboard for now & try to clear out the current KB, remove the key caps individual or the whole thing since you spilled everywhere , from the keyboard it self & wash it off preferably in isopropalcohol or just plain 100% vodka (clean & have a glass of drink afterwards ;))

use a q-tip to clean out the sugar crystals from the key pins (put up a few drops around it & press down in a fast pace until you get the original feel to the key press back) & you probably gonna  dampen it first with a bit of water inorder to loosen the keys from the sugar molecules stuck to it then use the isoprop to make it dry.. ususally this works in a few cases :/ but depends on your luck..

it's gonna take a bit of time or you can try to RMA it, but in most cases they won't since it's not a good thing for them to deal with these kinda things.. Also Check out  this video from paul.

Details separate people.

take the key off and clean it? 

Everything is cleaned. No keys are sticky and feel like they are supposed to feel.

swiootches. hmmmmmmm... you be trolling? 

Did you even read my post? When I press down the "i" key I get an "o" as well. So if I press down the "i" key i get io, not only i.

I don't think you can issue a RMA since this is user based damage. Try the rice trick- submerge your keyboard in a bag of dry rice for 24 hours to get rid of all the moisture. That should fix it. Kindly update us with the results.

I hope this helps! :)

remove all key caps and as much of the keyboard as you can, use a slightly damp cloth to remove any coke residue, or isoprop alchohol. then use rice bag

There is no coke residue visible. 

I've already cleaned it. Spent 3 hours after the accident to make sure everything is clean. As I saif above, all the keys feel fine and how they are supposed to. Neither key is hard to press down and they are not sticky. This is not the first time I've spilled something on my keyboards, it is the first time it behaves like this though. 

After I posted this post they keyboard began to misbehave. it started to register keys I didn't press so I unplugged it again. I'm using my iPad as a wireless keyboard at the moment. 

Now.. As I stated there is nothing that feels wrong with the switches or the keys, so I am assuming there is something wrong with the pcb. I saw the video that Tech_Dreamer linked and he said that submerging the keyboard in water was only a last resort. I'm beginning to feel that I should try to do that. Anyone got more input?

submerging the keyboard in water was only a last resort. I'm beginning to feel that I should try to do that.

i think this is the only thing you can do as of now, if the PCB is shortened by the sugar crystal or a still wet (not completly dry) pcb by anychance this could clear it out, otherwise try a new USB port (most probably wont work but try atleast) Keep us updated..& good luck 

Details separate people.

i think this is the only thing you can do as of now, if the PCB is shortened by the sugar crystal or a still wet (not completly dry) pcb by anychance this could clear it out, otherwise try a new USB port (most probably wont work but try atleast) Keep us updated..& good luck 

Yes, it might be as you said. That it isn't completly dry. I'll let it stay in a bag of rice during the night and sed tomorrow. I do have a good feeling Bout this though since it worked for a while before. I'll report back tomorrow.

So, here's an update for them that cares. Keyboard appears to be working fine. I've used it for 2 hours now without any trouble. Some keys are starting to feel "sticky", but that's an easy fix. 

Just want to say thanks to everybody that gave me some kind of input. Anything is better than nothing. I thought some kind of miracle would have to happen to get this thing working again since I spilled a full glass of coke over it.