Computer won't post

Genecidalic

So I built my first computer today and after it was all said and done I plugged in my psu and turned it on my motherboard's power button lit up so I pressed it to see my machine at work... and nothing happened I checked my plugs and plugged in a moniter and it does nothing. It just sits there and mocks me. Any ideas on what it could be. Im headed to dallas so I wont be able to do anything with it for a week but suggestions will help.

Do you have a motherboard speaker by any chance? If not, not too big of a deal. Is there anything in the system that's been re-used?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Have you put the motherboard on the golden stands to the case? My friend forgot to do that and it short circuited on him and therefore didn't turn on.

Cpu: I5 3570k @ 4.3ghz Gpu: EVGA GTX 780 FTW edition Case: Corsair 300R​ Ram: 8GB Corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Motherboard: ASUS P8-Z77 V-LX Keyboard: Corsair k50 raptor  Mouse: Razer naga 2012 edition OS: Windows 8.1

Check all of your connections thoroughly, both internally and externally.

If you have an external graphics card, make sure you plugged your monitor into the graphics card and not the onboard I/O.

Do you have a motherboard speaker by any chance? If not, not too big of a deal. Is there anything in the system that's been re-used?

all of its new

Have you put the motherboard on the golden stands to the case? My friend forgot to do that and it short circuited on him and therefore didn't turn on.

case came with pre-mounted standoffs

Check all of your connections thoroughly, both internally and externally.

If you have an external graphics card, make sure you plugged your monitor into the graphics card and not the onboard I/O.

Im not using a graphics card and I checked very closely

Are you sure the video output plug is plugged in properly?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Does your front panel IO have a molex connector that needs to be plugged in?

Cpu: I5 3570k @ 4.3ghz Gpu: EVGA GTX 780 FTW edition Case: Corsair 300R​ Ram: 8GB Corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Motherboard: ASUS P8-Z77 V-LX Keyboard: Corsair k50 raptor  Mouse: Razer naga 2012 edition OS: Windows 8.1

You may have a DOA board.

if that is the case, you should call the manufacturer of the board about an RMA.

does your motherboard have a post reader or what ever it is (the thing with the screen) if it has a code on it when u turn it on refer to your manual

nd 

check what it means

or it might make a series of beeps in which case refer to manual not sure what else other than returning it 

the screen thing looks somming like this

126244.gif

You may have a DOA board.

if that is the case, you should call the manufacturer of the board about an RMA.

Well if its doa then would the power light turn on?

does your motherboard have a post reader or what ever it is (the thing with the screen) if it has a code on it when u turn it on refer to your manual

nd 

check what it means

or it might make a series of beeps in which case refer to manual not sure what else other than returning it 

the screen thing looks somming like this

126244.gif

Its not turning on

Are you sure the video output plug is plugged in properly?

Yes but I think what I should have said is that my computer is not doing anything

Well if its doa then would the power light turn on?

Its not turning on

Yes, your board seems to be DOA. There are cases where a PC power light would turn on but the motherboard was DOA due to electrical damage or a borked BIOS.

That's unlucky man.

is any other ocmponant of the computer turning on?

check every powercable is in to mobo and psu

also if not working take all cables out of case jump start psu to see if it working

Not really my psu isn't spinning up however when I power it on the power button on the motherboard lights up

Yes, your board seems to be DOA. There are cases where a PC power light would turn on but the motherboard was DOA due to electrical damage or a borked BIOS.

That's unlucky man.

well the power light is on the board its self.

Does your PSU's fan not spin when below a certain threshold?

I feel for you. It's probably a DOA board. Must sucks for a first build... Have you tried doing an out of the PC build with the least amount of parts?

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

Does your PSU's fan not spin when below a certain threshold?

wouldn't know

I'd also like to say that it could be RAM. I had DOA RAM sticks, and all I saw was a black screen.

I'd also like to say that it could be RAM. I had DOA RAM sticks, and all I saw was a black screen.

but his fans and stuff dont turn on it only mobo led

Are your fans connected directly to the motherboard or through molex?