Best On-Ear Headphones?

I am looking for a pair of On-Ear Headphones that I can use with my phone. ( I am expanding the choices to also Over Ear, but compact, enough to wear out in public with you phone. )

I want the absolute best sounding headphones for EDM music.

I bought Beats about 2 years ago, and lets just say I don't want to make the same choice mistake again.

I am looking for the best On-Ear Headphones for EDM music such as Techno, Electro, House, Dubstep, etc.

Can we try to keep the price under $200. Thanks for suggestions!

Audio technica ath m50(x) 

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Monitors: Dell U2414H 

I have a pair of shure srh 840s which come in just at your price range and are very good for the music I listen to which is mixture of quite a lot of genres but not too much of what you listen to unfortunately. I would do a bit of research into them if I were you to see if they would suit your kind of music because they are great for me. 

My rig: i5 2500k, MSI Z77A G45, Gainward GTX 980 Phantom, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, OCZ ZT series 750W PSU, 1TB HDD, 800D, fully water cooled. I am currently working on modding my HAF 912+ to fit a custom loop, here is the build log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/165963-project-viridis-water-cooled-haf-912/

I am looking for a pair of On-Ear Headphones that I can use with my phone.

I want the absolute best sounding headphones for EDM music.

I bought Beats about 2 years ago, and lets just say I don't want to make the same choice mistake again.

I am looking for the best On-Ear Headphones for EDM music such as Techno, Electro, House, Dubstep, etc.

Can we try to keep the price under $200. Thanks for suggestions!

To be honest, Beats are pretty good for that style of music. What didn't you like about them?

𝙶𝚊𝚖𝚎𝚜 𝚊𝚛𝚎 𝚙𝚛𝚎𝚝𝚝𝚢 𝚌𝚘𝚘𝚕

Unless you're a bird on ear headphones are incredibly uncomfortable

2 much bass

some are, some aren't but most are for extended sessions. I've always prefered over ears too, never been able to use in ears at all since they just hurt going in, let alone staying in.

As for great all round headphones, I can vouch for the ATH-M50s and Beyer DT-770s. Neither of those really require an amp to sound great yet they both benefit well with one. Both super comfy though the Beyers hurt after a few hours use (ymmv) and both built like tanks.

Asus Maximus VII GeneIntel i7 4790k @ 4.8 - Corsair Vengance Pro 16GB DDR3 @ 2000Mhz - Asus Strix GTX980 SLI @ 1400Mhz/8000Mhz - 2x Samsing EVO 840 500GB RAID0 - 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB Cooler Master v1000 - Focusrite Scarlett 18i6

Sennheiser Momentum Over Ear - Genelec 8040a Pair - Audio Technica AT4040 - Asus PG278Q ROG Swift - Asus PB278Q - 2x Bad Asus IPS 1080 Screens - Ducky Shine 3 w/Browns - Corsair m65 - Razer Orbweaver Clicky - Razer Sabertooth

Apple rMBP Late 2013 - Applie retina iPad 2 - Apple iPhone 5 - Apple iPod Classic - XBone - Wii U - Pikachu 3DS XL - Katsukity 3DS XL

To be honest, Beats are pretty good for that style of music. What didn't you like about them?

The bass drowns out the rest of the music and makes it sound muddy. And I've had em for 2 years so I am wanting to get something better.

Unless you're a bird on ear headphones are incredibly uncomfortable

2 much bass

They are uncomfortable, but I want a headset I can carry around with my phone like when I am at school.

some are, some aren't but most are for extended sessions. I've always prefered over ears too, never been able to use in ears at all since they just hurt going in, let alone staying in.

As for great all round headphones, I can vouch for the ATH-M50s and Beyer DT-770s. Neither of those really require an amp to sound great yet they both benefit well with one. Both super comfy though the Beyers hurt after a few hours use (ymmv) and both built like tanks.

I liked both of them, which one would you chose over the other?

Bose OE2, I think it was renamed now to Soundtrue or something like that.

I have the Around ear versions, very good, but I've tried the Over ear versions before, its pretty much the same quality
The bass is just right, amazing clarity, and its just so comfortable.

Edit: Ya, it seems like there's a OE2 and a Soundtrue now, though from my experience they are exactly the same, just the colors are different, though the prices are like a $70 difference

Here's the OE2: http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/headphones/ae_and_oe_headphones/oe2_headphones/index.jsp (cheaper)

Soundtrue : http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/headphones/ae_and_oe_headphones/soundtrue_headphones/index.jsp&Variant=soundtrue_oe_headphones (expensive)

And I got to agree, Bose TYPO! Beats have to much bass and are just so uncomfortable.

Intel i5-6600k (Cooled by a 212 evo) - Asus Z170-A - Asus Dual OC GTX 1060 - NZXT S340 - WD 1TB (Getting SSD this month, hopefully) - 8GB DDR4-2400

LG G4 - Asus Zenwatch 2

I quite like the Sennheiser HD 598... Edit: On ear, you might try Sennheiser Urbanites

I'm liking all of these suggestions. I am going to expand the choices to on ear or over ear (compact) The Sennheiser Urbanites look awesome, along with the Bose Soundtrue.

I liked both of them, which one would you chose over the other?

I'd take the Beyer DT-770s but it's close. I don't get out much and the ATH-M50's are probably better for street use though still not perfect. I don't actually use either atm, I'm still using my momentum over ears (out of your price range) but I'm looking at the AKG Q701s with my credit card ready!

Asus Maximus VII GeneIntel i7 4790k @ 4.8 - Corsair Vengance Pro 16GB DDR3 @ 2000Mhz - Asus Strix GTX980 SLI @ 1400Mhz/8000Mhz - 2x Samsing EVO 840 500GB RAID0 - 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB Cooler Master v1000 - Focusrite Scarlett 18i6

Sennheiser Momentum Over Ear - Genelec 8040a Pair - Audio Technica AT4040 - Asus PG278Q ROG Swift - Asus PB278Q - 2x Bad Asus IPS 1080 Screens - Ducky Shine 3 w/Browns - Corsair m65 - Razer Orbweaver Clicky - Razer Sabertooth

Apple rMBP Late 2013 - Applie retina iPad 2 - Apple iPhone 5 - Apple iPod Classic - XBone - Wii U - Pikachu 3DS XL - Katsukity 3DS XL

I'm liking all of these suggestions. I am going to expand the choices to on ear or over ear (compact) The Sennheiser Urbanites look awesome, along with the Bose Soundtrue.

Bose Blows™

Cheaper good closed cans would be the CHC Silverados. They've been $50 on Amazon.com for a nice long while.

Superlux HD572/A?

They sound pretty good but the build quality is less than ideal...

Philips Air Wear?

No sound isolation but they also sound nice and balanced (you can tweak this using the equalizer)... Comfortable and breathable cloth earpieces are nice to have but a hassle to clean...