Need Help with New Build

After 7 minutes of running prime 95 blend test my cpu voltage spikes to the 80's in celcius.  Idle temps are in  the 20's celcius.  I have Maximus Hero VII, Corsair H105 with sp120 fans and a 4790k.  No overclock is applied just went in AI Suite and set it to default to be certain nothing was changed.  Cpu Voltage was well under 1.2 and the max frequency was hanging around 4.39 or so.  Any ideas as to what is wrong or is this the norm?

I've been playing games fine but just wanted to  see what temps were like under full load.  I have the pump set to run at max at all time as with the exhaust fans for the radiator.  Ambient room temp is around  70F, the case is the 780T.

After 7 minutes of running prime 95 blend test my cpu voltage spikes to the 80's in celcius.  Idle temps are in  the 20's celcius.  I have Maximus Hero VII, Corsair H105 with sp120 fans and a 4790k.  No overclock is applied just went in AI Suite and set it to default to be certain nothing was changed.  Cpu Voltage was well under 1.2 and the max frequency was hanging around 4.39 or so.  Any ideas as to what is wrong or is this the norm?

I've been playing games fine but just wanted to  see what temps were like under full load.  I have the pump set to run at max at all time as with the exhaust fans for the radiator.  Ambient room temp is around  70F, the case is the 780T.

It can be a number of things.

1. LLC is set to Auto which will increase voltage thus making heat
  2. Prime95 will creat heat rather than reall stress test your 4790k because it does not understand the instruction set of the architecture
  3. The TIM used is a factor
  4. Did you remember to remove the plastic covering from the cold plate before instillation?
  5. Are you sure the pins are properly tightened?

Tips

1. Set LLC to regular or what ever is the lowest setting
  2. Use AIDA64 to do your stress testing
  3. A good after market TIM will help, i prefer IC Diamond but will be switching to Thermene in a few months when i do my PC cleaning later this year

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Thanks for you response.  I used stock TIM and yes the plastic was removed from the cold plate. Using intel XTU for 10 minutes my highest temp on core was 79 but averaged in high 60's-lower 70's.  I didn't touch the LLC I just changed the clock ration to 4.6 and set voltage to around 1.22.  Do you think I will be ok as I will primarily be gaming only.

Whenever stress testing, especially with P95, you need to set voltage to manual/constant/override/static.

LLC shouldn't be on auto. Set it to medium, 5/8, or 50-75% depending on how your motherboard has it.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

I'm trying to find where LLC is at in my bios. I tried with a manual cpu voltage of 1.25 volts at 4.4ghz and hit 90's almost instantly with small fft's.

Update:

ok i found it and it was set to auto is that why my load temps jump to 90c+?

Update:

What's strange is that if I run Intel Extreme Tuning Utility and run stress test for 5 minutes highest core is 75c

I played a very cpu intensive game and temps never broke 50c as well

I decided to run realbench for the stress test for 15minutes. I changed the core ratio back to 4.6 and changed offset to default and OC to 1.195. I noticed with coretemp that the voltage ranged from 1.979 for the biggest part and it would go up to 1.229 briefly. I'm attaching the screenshot of coretemp. Should I just leave it alone.
Here is the screenshot. http://i.imgur.com/9HH7Q2j.png
Tell me what you think.