PC Boot Issue

pawan1993

Hey guys. A while ago I noticed my PSU making a ticking noise which was quite loud. So I had a look at it, unplugged everything to make sure it was the PSU, then plugged everything back in to use it. Well it didn't boot and I thought that's fine and sent my PSU off for RMA anyway.

Just received a replacement and installed it in and found that my PC still does not boot! On pressing the power button on the case the LED flashes for a moment and all the fans (case, CPU and GPU) turn on for a moment and off just the same. Once this happens the power button will do nothing until I turn the PSU switch off for a while (a few seconds) and then on again.

Unplugged everything again except the PSU and the CPU fan, still nothing. Tried powering on by shorting the power switch pins on the motherboard instead of using the switch on the case and still the same. Sometimes when turning the PSU on again the fans and the power LED will remain on but there'll be no beep from the motherboard and nothing on a display. If I turn the PC off from this state (single push of power button), it won't turn on again until I turn off then turn on the PSU as before.

I can also get the PC to keep the power LED on the case on and the fans to keep spinning as before if I reset the CMOS while the PSU is on. The power LED on the motherboard itself doesn't turn on but the ethernet port on the motherboard does light up. I suspect the motherboard may be dead but I'll buy some batteries for the CMOS and try again after replacing them. I know this is a lot to read and thanks to anyone who can help me out here. It'll be very much appreciated.

Specs:
Motherboard: H61m D2 B3
CPU: i7 2600
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO
GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 760
RAM: G.Skill Sniper 1866 MHz DDR3 CL9 8 GB (2x4GB kit)
PSU: Seasonic G-550F3
Previous PSU: Antec HCG 520
Extras: Silverstone USB 3.0 PCIe expansion card

Are you sure the PSU is okay? short out the green and black wires on the 24 pin connection to test it

* 4930k * EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX * 32GB Corsair dominator platinum * ASUS Rampage iv Extreme Black Edition *
*corsair neutron GTX 240GB * Corsair force 3 60GB * WD black 1TB * WD green 3TB *
* Corsair ax1200i * Corsair H100i * NZXT Phantom v2 *

Are you sure the PSU is okay? short out the green and black wires on the 24 pin connection to test it

It's late at night right now where I am so I'll have a go tomorrow and let you know the results. I doubt it's the PSU since my older PSU which was working fine (besides the noise) ended up having the same problem before I sent it off. Thanks for the help though!

Yep I think psu

My Main Build: NZXT S340 - NZXT Kraken X31 - Crucial MX100 256GB - i5 4460 - Gigabyte Z97P D3 - Kingston HyperX Red 8GB - MSI Nvidia GTX 780 3GB - Corsair LL & HD RGB Fans, Corsair Lighting Node Pro. 

Yep I think psu

Hmmm. I'll test the PSU out tomorrow and then go from there. Has anyone ever had rotten enough luck to have a replacement PSU end up being bad?

I have, but it's very rare. I had this problem when I connected my power supply with different cables, also, make sure every cable is connected, and is secure. Hope this happens.

Ran by coffee

I've tested the PSU and no faults with that. The cables are also connected properly and are secure. I was hoping it to be a PSU fault or cabling fault. It's looking more and more like it's a motherboard problem. CPU has an LGA1155 socket so I'll have to get a new CPU too.