Free Upgrade from Sandybridge to Haswell?

I currently have a 2500k OC'ed to 4.5Ghz, cooled by an H100i, matched with an ASUS P8-Z68V Pro

And my cousin is also in the market for a custom build. So I'm seeing this as an opportunity to pass down my CPU and MOBO and upgrade my system.

My cousin isn't very tech savvy, and will be playing undemanding games like Guild Wars 2, LoL etc. So he wouldn't really care for the bells and whistles of Z87.

My question is, do you think upgrading from my current system to the current generation is a good idea at no cost? I know Sandybridge OCs the best and all, but what do you guys think?

I'm thinking of getting the same level of parts, just the current generation of them:

i5 4670k using the H100i to cool

ASUS Z87 Pro MOBO

Probably not. You get better overclocking capabilities on Sandy Bridge CPU's.

Well, if you were to negate any costs, you'd pretty much have to rip him off, in which case I'd say that it isn't a good idea at all.

Yeah, that's kind of a jerk move to sell him used components at full price.

But simply to answer your question, at no cost, sure, why not.  Z87 is wonderful.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

Sandy bridge may technically be "faster" in Mhz but remember; speed is not always equal to being more performance. If that was the case then we would all be running Pentium 4's or AMD APU's at 5Ghz. With decent cooling (H100) you can overclock the newer generations of processors (Ivy/Haswell) just as high as sandy (See TTL haswell review on cinebench comparisons on performance). Motherboards have also advanced a looooooooot in the time since your P67 was the 'go to' board for i5's.

I'd totally go for it if I were you.

non demanding games like Guild wars 2? WvW cripples every system because of bad optimization.  :unsure:

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

i think its a good idea... idk about sandybridge but with the z87 chipset you get everything usb 3.0 pcie 3 sata 3 (6 ports ) and a uefi bios...irdk which of those are incorporated in the sandybridge tho...but sure go for it...just dont rip your cousin off..

Do what I'm doing, sell him the parts cheap, put the rest up yourself. Just don't be a complete a-hole to your cousin.

Thanks for the input, guys. 

About the "ripping him off" thing, He's giving me money for the parts and labor. I initially didn't want a payment for doing it or anything since building a pc is fun to me, but of course he threw in an extra $50 for my troubles.

Just searched Amazon for a 2500k, and it cost MORE than the Haswell equivalents haha.

I personally would do it simply because whenever it comes time to upgrade again, your Haswell build will sell much better than a Sandy Bridge build.

Yah, i think its worth it to upgrade. Ivy bridge is 10% faster than sandy bridge, and Haswell is 10 percent faster than Ivy bridge.

So by upgrading you would be getting a 20% performance boost by default. Who knows how much more after overclocking.

My Rig: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.5 Ghz, Corsair H100i, Gigabyte gtx 770 4gb, 8 gb Patriot Viper 2133 mhz, Corsair C70 (Black), EVGA Supernova 750g Modular PSU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 motherboard, Asus next gen wifi card.

Go for it. Haswell does more operations per clock which means your 2500k at 5ghz could be matched by a haswell processor at like 4.5ghz. You also get the new motherboards with lots of native usb 3.0 and sata 3.