No sound in one ear with new Asus xonar Essence STX

Falmn

Hi everyone! I got Asus Xonar Essence STX yesterday and installed it, but the problem is that it only comes out sound in the right ear. Bearly in the left one, but noticeable if you really try. Right now it's installed in a PCIE 16x slot and I've re-installed the program many times. I use the 6.3 mm adapter with my Audio Technica ATH-M50, who works just fine. Also the same problem lies with my old Steelseries Sibera, no sound in the left ear. So I don't think the headphones are the problem.

PC specs:  Asus Z87-A, ASUS gtx 660 TI @ 1050 & 6500, Intel I5 4670k @ 3.4, Corsair vengeance 8Gb, Samsung 120gb SSD

I've googeled for a while now and i haven't found anyone with the same problem as me, is the card broken? I also have 2 1x PCIE-slots left, I will try those when i get back from work.

Any ideas? All help is much appreciated!

Best regards: Falmn 

Wiggle the connection a bit?  Improperly locked jacks can cause this :)

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

It could be the equalizer being off-center and instead of 50/50 L/R it could be Right-dominated, check it and make sure its in the middle? you could try drag it to the left a bit as well.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Return it and don't respend the money on another POS soundcard.

Lmao, yes. Return it as fast as you can.

I have one of these and have not experience this problem, and would not recommend it. I have a noticeable hiss of interference at high volumes. If you can return it and get your money back I would. You may want to look into an external DAC and amp like the objective 2.

Return it, return it, return it, return it, return it, return it, return it.

That's the best choice. Plus, you'll be more rich and have the imbalance fixed.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Wiggle the connection a bit?  Improperly locked jacks can cause this :)

I had some issues with skrewing it on due to my case's design, but i manged to put it on properly but with the same result.   :(

It could be the equalizer being off-center and instead of 50/50 L/R it could be Right-dominated, check it and make sure its in the middle? you could try drag it to the left a bit as well.

Yes, I've had tried this in the software and also in windows, but without any progress. 

I will try to switch it to a 1x slot if there is any difference, if not i will call the support center of the retailer and ask for their opinion. 

Thank all of you with your responses! I'm not English as you might have figured, but Swedish. And i haven't gotten any good responses from the Swedish sites so i decided to try here, and it turned out very well ;) .

Wish me luck!

I had some issues with skrewing it on due to my case's design, but i manged to put it on properly but with the same result.   :(

Yes, I've had tried this in the software and also in windows, but without any progress. 

I will try to switch it to a 1x slot if there is any difference, if not i will call the support center of the retailer and ask for their opinion. 

Thank all of you with your responses! I'm not English as you might have figured, but Swedish. And i haven't gotten any good responses from the Swedish sites so i decided to try here, and it turned out very well ;) .

Wish me luck!

Could Hardly tell, You're english is quite good.

Viva la Svenska.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Could Hardly tell, You're english is quite good.

Viva la Svenska.

Haha thanks mate ;). Gonna call the support center tomorrow, i'm quite confident that they will  help me to solve this! 

Forca Sverige! Long live the King! 

the sound card is fine. although it may vary to people. in my case any dac or amp below 400 bucks are junk but that's just me.

if you recently bought it you can easily return it so long as it's allowed, in my country once you buy it it's either rma it for warranty or stick with it no return no exchange.

check out if you got the sound stuff at 50/50 or 100/100 or whatnot.

could be your output though. my corsair  vengeance 1300 outputs no sound on left and sound on right side but whenever I plug in my headphones they all work normally.

Live your life like a dream.

O2/Odac is already transparent. Unless you want more features, more bling, or more power (to drive HE-6) that is all you need and spending more does not net you improvement in audio quality. It would be pretty embarrassing to fail a blind test with what you would call "junk". Placebophile audiopeelz abound.

kkthzbai

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

O2/Odac is already transparent. Unless you want more features, more bling, or more power (to drive HE-6) that is all you need and spending more does not net you improvement in audio quality. It would be pretty embarrassing to fail a blind test with what you would call "junk". Placebophile audiopeelz abound.

kkthzbai

that is true however it's just me and I think you failed to realize it. it's how I go with my life and it's my business I believe. 

oh and I am not some audiophile. I don't believe I could even be called one. I just love hardware and hate on those cheap alternatives. btw o2/odac combo I have it aswell it might be different to where you live but that thing cost 490 us dollar converted the time I bought it. so it's best to not just assume stuff there brah. my country is posted and if you know nothing about pricing then better keep it to your self. 

but I still stand any hardware below 400$ us converted normally for audio is junk in my eyes and it will never change no matter what other alternatives people may say cause they are not worth it for me.

the sound card is fine. although it may vary to people. in my case any dac or amp below 400 bucks are junk but that's just me.

if you recently bought it you can easily return it so long as it's allowed, in my country once you buy it it's either rma it for warranty or stick with it no return no exchange.

check out if you got the sound stuff at 50/50 or 100/100 or whatnot.

could be your output though. my corsair  vengeance 1300 outputs no sound on left and sound on right side but whenever I plug in my headphones they all work normally.

Hi and thank you for your response, the company who i bought it from is known to be a good retailer, so I'm not worried. The "sound stuff" is at 50/50, both in windows in the software. 

kkthzbai

So if i get the money back, should i buy an AMP? My knowledge in audio is minimal, so i have no idea what to buy. Witch one should i get instead of the sound card? 

Hi and thank you for your response, the company who i bought it from is known to be a good retailer, so I'm not worried. The "sound stuff" is at 50/50, both in windows in the software. 

So if i get the money back, should i buy an AMP? My knowledge in audio is minimal, so i have no idea what to buy. Witch one should i get instead of the sound card? 

well yeah if a sound card failed already you can buy something that's within your budget and headphone/set/speaker specs.

that is true however it's just me and I think you failed to realize it. it's how I go with my life and it's my business I believe. 

So... You post your opinions on a forum meant for discussion and we're not supposed to comment on it?

oh and I am not some audiophile. I don't believe I could even be called one. 

Audiophile is a loosely defined word.

I just love hardware and hate on those cheap alternatives. 

Why exactly? When you post your ideas like this you are liable to misleading the public. The primary use for audio hardware is sound. If your opinions about hardware is not related to sound you should note that.

btw o2/odac combo I have it aswell it might be different to where you live but that thing cost 490 us dollar converted the time I bought it. so it's best to not just assume stuff there brah. my country is posted and if you know nothing about pricing then better keep it to your self. 

Do you really think everybody (or anybody) that reads your post is doing the math for whatever the Philippines' currency is? This line also suggests that while you criticized me for not converting whatever currency I use into the one for your country and look at whatever markup you have to tolerate, you never bothered to look at what country I live in, which I find ironic. There would be no need to assume anything if you actually posted your ideas completely without missing facts or relevant data.

but I still stand any hardware below 400$ us converted normally for audio is junk in my eyes and it will never change no matter what other alternatives people may say cause they are not worth it for me.

If you're not going to say why, you're wasting my time. I was being very generous the first time: A simple $50 dac/amp is already basically audibly transparent. Why don't you unrustle your jimmies and try again?

I'm not sure you need to buy anything at all. The hardest to drive headphone you use right now is the M50? I don't think you told me you had issues with your onboard.

why would you need a sound card for ATH-M50 :huh: its a bad combination you know...

When 2 things meet each other, Quantum stuff happens.

So... You post your opinions on a forum meant for discussion and we're not supposed to comment on it?

Audiophile is a loosely defined word.

Why exactly? When you post your ideas like this you are liable to misleading the public. The primary use for audio hardware is sound. If your opinions about hardware is not related to sound you should note that.

Do you really think everybody (or anybody) that reads your post is doing the math for whatever the Philippines' currency is? This line also suggests that while you criticized me for not converting whatever currency I use into the one for your country and look at whatever markup you have to tolerate, you never bothered to look at what country I live in, which I find ironic. There would be no need to assume anything if you actually posted your ideas completely without missing facts or relevant data.

If you're not going to say why, you're wasting my time. I was being very generous the first time: A simple $50 dac/amp is already basically audibly transparent. Why don't you unrustle your jimmies and try again?

no but that means I also have no time to do the math for you there friend.

and yes 50 bucks will suffice but so will 5$ us - 20$ us earphones, headset.

so you want to know why I think anything below 400$ is junk normally on hardware? warranty, quality and other facts that you may want. I'm actually the one being more generous but you're even wasting my time. 

you friend need to learn more that not everyone goes with bang for buck or whatever is similar to it. 

guess you need to learn more about facts there brother you seem to be on the alternative side.

guess that's enough for now. you have no time for me and I have no time for you so we can call it quits bro.

why would you need a sound card for ATH-M50 :huh: its a bad combination you know...

well maybe he just wants it and if he does ts can buy it. he can be happy or regret stuff later.

so you want to know why I think anything below 400$ is junk normally on hardware? warranty, quality and other facts that you may want. I'm actually the one being more generous but you're even wasting my time. 

you friend need to learn more that not everyone goes with bang for buck or whatever is similar to it. 

guess you need to learn more about facts there brother you seem to be on the alternative side.

guess that's enough for now. you have no time for me and I have no time for you so we can call it quits bro.

Well the idea was to buy something more fancier in the future than the ATH-M50, but i don't really have the money right now so...

Well the idea was to buy something more fancier in the future than the ATH-M50, but i don't really have the money right now so...

Get rid of the STX, come back when you actually have money. Then we'll recommend a headphone, and at most an extra amp and that won't be the STX.

Get rid of the STX, come back when you actually have money. Then we'll recommend a headphone, and at most an extra amp and that won't be the STX.

Okey, I'll follow your advice. So what will the cost be with better headphones + amp at a reasonable price ? 

Okey, I'll follow your advice. So what will the cost be with better headphones + amp at a reasonable price ? 

My favorite suggestion is HD650. And if the person loves it and just wants to add some more bling, O2 and if they've got money to burn, Odac. Although, the Schiit equivalent (Magni/Modi) are fine replacements. HD650 we're talking $350 used in America. If you want to go a little cheaper, there are options like Q701/700x, often well regarded by gamers, to something like DT770 which has extra bass and treble. What I'd do is I'd save up for HD650 and not worry about the amp. And then maybe get an amp later if I come across some extra money. HD600/Q701/700x are all a bit bright, the HD650 on the other hand has less treble.

My favorite suggestion is HD650. And if the person loves it and just wants to add some more bling, O2 and if they've got money to burn, Odac. Although, the Schiit equivalent (Magni/Modi) are fine replacements. HD650 we're talking $350 used in America. If you want to go a little cheaper, there are options like Q701/700x, often well regarded by gamers, to something like DT770 which has extra bass and treble. What I'd do is I'd save up for HD650 and not worry about the amp. And then maybe get an amp later if I come across some extra money. HD600/Q701/700x are all a bit bright, the HD650 on the other hand has less treble.

Yeah, the HD650 is about the same price of a cheap gtx 970 here in Sweden, so it's a bit expensive. But i will buy it though ;) , when i have the money of course. Is there really a "huge" difference between ATH M50s and the HD650?