Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Question

CloudySky
Go to solution Solved by CloudySky,

I think you can perform a clean installation with it, i had a head-ache trying to install Windows 8.1 from a Windows 8 key, It would not let me download the ISO/USB creator files. 

For either of them, key is fine, ended up ordering a CD

But buy it and see if it clean installs, I think It only needs windows 7 if you are file transferring. I'm not sure if this copy is the "Upgrade Version or the full version". 

If it needs windows 7 to be installed, Download and burn an windows 7 ISO from digital river: http://www.techverse.net/download-windows-7-iso-x86-x64-microsofts-official-servers/ , you don't need a key you can just tell it to activate later and put it onto trial mode, then install windows 8.1 over it, so it goes (Windows 7, Check)

(It should give you the option of a clean install).  (Custom)

Also, I would call Microsoft store and ask them, They were really good with me in the UK.

You could always use Windows 10 preview, if you don't mind the odd glitch here and there... or Asimov watching your every move. At least it's free...

I'll be interested to see if it does work, because I plan on using it as well if I can.

Are you a university student by any chance? If you are, you might be eligible to get win 8.1 pro for free through dreamspark. Basically, you sign up for an account using your student email address and microsoft account (works with community college and universities email address).

https://www.dreamspark.com/Student/Default.aspx

Its a upgrade windows so it looks for windows 7 before instillation but there are ways to go around this as I have. Got the $15 windows 8 update promotion when it first came out and did a clean install no problems. 

Sounds good.

So you can install it clean so long as you have either a W8 disk or W7 PC with a USB drive to install it onto, that makes my life a hell of a lot easier.

Also: If you mark your own post as an answer to the thread, do that for a laugh  :P

search for your school manually and then enter your schools website through dreamspark and you can log in with your details

I go to a college( in UK) an I just saw that I can get these softwares for free!!

I just finished building my PC a minute ago.

I registered and used Windows 8.1 Pro For Students from Microsoft.

I'm posting back to confirm that it works for the previous posters in this thread.

I'm unsure where to place this thread, so I'll apologize in advance.

I'm building a new PC and noticed a discounted version of 8.1 on Microsoft's online store.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Windows-8.1-Pro-for-Students/productID.288769600

The price is $69.99 and is eligible for students after verification.

I'm eligible for this discount however I'm not 100% sure this will work on a system without OS.

This is why:

Important: Windows 8.1 Pro full version is for Windows 7 users only. Currently running Windows Vista or XP? First upgrade to Windows 8 Pro Upgrade – Student Offer. Upon installation you can update to 8.1 for free.

The wording on this is precarious due to its ambiguity.

After researching around, the installation process seems to require a computer with Win 7 and admin privileges to download the proper files.

Running the download exe will prompt a bootable installation on a USB flash drive where you could install it onto a new PC.

Let me know if this will work on a new build. I want people with actual experience to answer this.

Strange.... they don't have the same wording on there yet its the same product.

Secondly, have you used it before?

Does region matter? I have never bought something in pounds before. (using credit card in US currency)

I've not used it, but I will in the next couple of months, I'll get back to you if you like. And I don't think region will matter, but I'm not sure, sorry

I'm unsure where to place this thread, so I'll apologize in advance.

I'm building a new PC and noticed a discounted version of 8.1 on Microsoft's online store.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Windows-8.1-Pro-for-Students/productID.288769600

The price is $69.99 and is eligible for students after verification.

I'm eligible for this discount however I'm not 100% sure this will work on a system without OS.

This is why:

Important: Windows 8.1 Pro full version is for Windows 7 users only. Currently running Windows Vista or XP? First upgrade to Windows 8 Pro Upgrade – Student Offer. Upon installation you can update to 8.1 for free.

The wording on this is precarious due to its ambiguity.

After researching around, the installation process seems to require a computer with Win 7 and admin privileges to download the proper files.

Running the download exe will prompt a bootable installation on a USB flash drive where you could install it onto a new PC.

Let me know if this will work on a new build. I want people with actual experience to answer this.

I think you can perform a clean installation with it, i had a head-ache trying to install Windows 8.1 from a Windows 8 key, It would not let me download the ISO/USB creator files. 

For either of them, key is fine, ended up ordering a CD

But buy it and see if it clean installs, I think It only needs windows 7 if you are file transferring. I'm not sure if this copy is the "Upgrade Version or the full version". 

If it needs windows 7 to be installed, Download and burn an windows 7 ISO from digital river: http://www.techverse.net/download-windows-7-iso-x86-x64-microsofts-official-servers/ , you don't need a key you can just tell it to activate later and put it onto trial mode, then install windows 8.1 over it, so it goes (Windows 7, Check)

(It should give you the option of a clean install).  (Custom)

Also, I would call Microsoft store and ask them, They were really good with me in the UK.

"Use the force Harry" 

-Gandalf

So much uncertainty......

I guess my best bet is to call Microsoft lol.

Quote this and tell me what they say please :)

I could not download my ISO, I got the student offer from when it was released and it was dirt cheap, like £25. 

I could not download the ISO file, it said my key was not valid, called them and they said my key was valid. Spent 2 hours with a tech using LogMeIn trying to download it, did not work, then they said hey we have a premium support for £62. NOPE. 

But I ended up talking to a microsoft store representative and got a backup ISO sent to me for £10 ..something the tech had not even suggested.  

They don't make things simple, best bet is to ask the M$ store. :)

"Use the force Harry" 

-Gandalf

You could always use Windows 10 preview, if you don't mind the odd glitch here and there... or Asimov watching your every move. At least it's free...

Quote this and tell me what they say please :)

Will do

I could not download my ISO, I got the student offer from when it was released and it was dirt cheap, like £25. 

I could not download the ISO file, it said my key was not valid, called them and they said my key was valid. Spent 2 hours with a tech using LogMeIn trying to download it, did not work, then they said hey we have a premium support for £62. NOPE. 

But I ended up talking to a microsoft store representative and got a backup ISO sent to me for £10 ..something the tech had not even suggested.  

They don't make things simple, best bet is to ask the M$ store. :)

That's different because you used a Windows 8 key and then upgraded to Windows 8.1.

I thought about that but I don't think its a good idea to use a preview as the main OS for a new build....

I will get back onto this thread and post about this particular scenario since I haven't found anyone who's been in this situation before..

Will do

That's different because you used a Windows 8 key and then upgraded to Windows 8.1.

I thought about that but I don't think its a good idea to use a preview as the main OS for a new build....

I will get back onto this thread and post about this particular scenario since I haven't found anyone who's been in this situation before..

No I know its a different situation, I'm saying they make things complicated and annoying. 

Your trying to do a clean install and your hoping that that the student offer disc allows you to do so. Certainly like somebody has said above, the wording does not help in the description on their page. 

"Use the force Harry" 

-Gandalf

I've been using it as my daily driver since it came out, and it's been perfectly stable. Not a single hiccup, even when overclocking.

Not everyone has had such an experience with it though, so I understand.

Just a suggestion ;)

I'll be interested to see if it does work, because I plan on using it as well if I can.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Are you a university student by any chance? If you are, you might be eligible to get win 8.1 pro for free through dreamspark. Basically, you sign up for an account using your student email address and microsoft account (works with community college and universities email address).

I've tried this before...

My college doesn't create an email for their students. Instead, you use your own personal email as your college email.

I have to "request" an account from my college in order to get an account for the dreamspark premium.

I'll give it another go and hopefully they will send me one :(

-snip-

-snip-

-snip-

-snip-

-snip-

I spent about an hour and a half with the Microsoft tech support.

Quoting from them, you can install Windows 8.1 Pro for Students as a clean install if you have the physical disk for windows 8

or

Creating a bootable usb using an iso burner on a separate computer with admin and Windows 7.

The bit version of the Windows 8.1 Pro for Students will correlate with the computer you used to download the files from.

Example:

You use a Window 7 computer with 32-bit system. The downloader will download Windows 8.1 Pro for Students 32-bit.

You use a Window 7 computer with 64-bit system. The downloader will download Windows 8.1 Pro for Students 64-bit.

If dreamspark doesn't work for me, I will purchase Windows 8.1 Pro for Students and make a confirmation that it works. Will get back on this thread if it happens or not.

Edit: I ended up answering my own question.... lol :D

Its a upgrade windows so it looks for windows 7 before instillation but there are ways to go around this as I have. Got the $15 windows 8 update promotion when it first came out and did a clean install no problems. 

Sounds good.

So you can install it clean so long as you have either a W8 disk or W7 PC with a USB drive to install it onto, that makes my life a hell of a lot easier.

Also: If you mark your own post as an answer to the thread, do that for a laugh  :P

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Sounds good.

Not solved until I can confirm or unable to confirm it.

I spent about an hour and a half with the Microsoft tech support.

Quoting from them, you can install Windows 8.1 Pro for Students as a clean install if you have the physical disk for windows 8

or

Creating a bootable usb using an iso burner on a separate computer with admin and Windows 7.

The bit version of the Windows 8.1 Pro for Students will correlate with the computer you used to download the files from.

Example:

You use a Window 7 computer with 32-bit system. The downloader will download Windows 8.1 Pro for Students 32-bit.

You use a Window 7 computer with 64-bit system. The downloader will download Windows 8.1 Pro for Students 64-bit.

If dreamspark doesn't work for me, I will purchase Windows 8.1 Pro for Students and make a confirmation that it works. Will get back on this thread if it happens or not.

Edit: I ended up answering my own question.... lol :D

So, it's a yes? YAY! I can exploit my sister again :P

I've tried this before...

My college doesn't create an email for their students. Instead, you use your own personal email as your college email.

I have to "request" an account from my college in order to get an account for the dreamspark premium.

I'll give it another go and hopefully they will send me one :(

search for your school manually and then enter your schools website through dreamspark and you can log in with your details

I go to a college( in UK) an I just saw that I can get these softwares for free!!

So, it's a yes? YAY! I can exploit my sister again :P

Cannot confirm yet!

My parts are on its way...lol.

I should be able to confirm it around this weekend or early next week when they arrive.

No.....

You usually have to get an account from the admin of the Dreamspark premium of that college.

The admin at my college is the dean of the Computer Science department. He is the one who will issue me an account that will allow me to actually download the free programs or OS.

If he doesn't register me an account under his name, I cannot download anything.

The account made by you or from your college generally does not work unless the admin has made you the account using those credentials.

"Please enter a valid username and password. Note that you must register on this webstore to be able to sign in -- an account you may have with your institution is not sufficient."

"To access the WebStore, an administrator must first have created an account for you and you must complete the registration in order to activate the account.

Please enter your account identifier to complete the registration. If no account has been created for you, you can request an account."

I've tried dreamspark multiple times but it seems like the admin at my college won't register me. :(

Cannot confirm yet!

My parts are on its way...lol.

I should be able to confirm it around this weekend or early next week when they arrive.

Ok. Remember to quote me so I know asap :P

No.....

For me anyway I got the login screen for our Dreamspark Webstore Portal and I was registered in

So it might say it generally does not work... but I was the exception then :D

This is the first time in my lif that I have Windows legally and I love it :)