How much of an impact would CPU + RAM upgrade have

Sentrosi
Go to solution Solved by Wauthar,

Right now, at this moment, pretty much everything runs like crap as it is not optimised at all ;)

It all depends on what performance you have now in the game. Do note that it will be a long time before the game is released (Q1/Q2 2016?),so if you just want to upgrade for Star Citizen, wait.

If you are happy with what you are getting now in other games, I see no reason to upgrade yet (unless you want to get rid of some money :))

So I have a pretty good gaming PC so far but I am looking into upgrading the CPU and RAM but I am wondering how much of an impact it might have.

I currently have,

i7-920

6GB DDR3 1333MHz

EVGA GTX 770 SC

I am looking into getting a

i7 4790k

16GB DDR3 1600MHz

Would the upgrade be worth it or would what I have been good enough till Broadwell or Skylake CPUs come out?

Also, I know the min spec says 8GB of RAM, so would more RAM be a big improvement?

No real need to upgrade if you OC the 920. You COULD do with a bit more RAM but it's not required unless you like having 740721940714907914741 chrome tabs open.

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

No real need to upgrade if you OC the 920. You COULD do with a bit more RAM but it's not required unless you like having 740721940714907914741 chrome tabs open.

^

Dat.

If you want more FPS just get a higher end GPU. Your CPU is fine, you can OC it a bit but no real need.

-snip-

I'd say that if you aren't happy with whatever you have now, and you need more, upgrade now. If you can wait, wait. There'll always be new tech on the horizon, and if you upgrade now, within 6 months *something* will be of a previous generation already. 

6GB of RAM is enough for most things, even games, just make sure you close other programs before you play the game. 

If you want to see what's holding you back, open resource monitor and GPU-Z, then see the usage for each. If a single core on your CPU is near 100% whilst your GPU isn't close, then your CPU is the bottleneck. Once again, upgrade only if you need the performance, else the answer is always to wait. 

(Unless there's an insanely good deal going on.)

Remember to be a good citizen and choose a 'best answer' when your problem has been resolved!

(that way people know when a problem's been resolved)

Right now, at this moment, pretty much everything runs like crap as it is not optimised at all ;)

It all depends on what performance you have now in the game. Do note that it will be a long time before the game is released (Q1/Q2 2016?),so if you just want to upgrade for Star Citizen, wait.

If you are happy with what you are getting now in other games, I see no reason to upgrade yet (unless you want to get rid of some money :))

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

Damn it, that is exatly how many tabs I have to have open at all times! >< Well, got some good answers here, guess I will hold off till it is closer to release to upgrade. Thanks all!

I have pretty much the same Chrome usage habits as Linus and by the sound of it you to lol

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |