Sort of Uncomfortable with GTX 970 Reviews 700 series still viable?

MeesterJackson

Choose a newer architecture. When I updated my Core 2 Quad Q8400 CPU, I was most certain that I would get the Core i5-3570K. Then when I asked the LTT forum about this, they were all like "Get the newer architecture" so I went with the i5-4670K which I never ever regret buying.

So if I were you, you should do the same. I'll also be updating my GPU to a GTX 970 from a GTX 560 as soon as they get stocks in my country :D

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 8GB 1866 Video Card: MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G SSDSamsung 840 Evo 250GB HDD: WD 1TB + 500GB Caviar Blue
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 Case: Gigabyte GZ-G1 Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown MousePad: Corsair MM200
Steam/Origin/Uplay: renz62

Coil whine is usually worthy of an RMA, so I wouldn't decide based on that (also, I really haven't seen widespread concern about it from the tech sites I frequent).

But if you can get a great deal on a GTX 780 Ti, I can't see any serious issues with that choice. Power consumption is higher than the 970, but that isn't saying much. Its almost always faster—the 780 Ti compares more closely to the 980. As long as you can power it, keep it cool, and its fast enough for your needs, why would you care which architecture is simply newer?

got a Gigabyte 970 g1 gaming

its amazing

coilwhine IS an issue if:

youre gaming right next to an open case/a bench without sounds so yeahhh

not really that kind of an Argument

Performance is awesome imo, very good oc, not that much heat and youll never actually hear it in a closed case

How much could yo OC it? My overvolted G1 starts to suffer if I go more than 1560Mhz :(

Choose a newer architecture. When I updated my Core 2 Quad Q8400 CPU, I was most certain that I would get the Core i5-3570K. Then when I asked the LTT forum about this, they were all like "Get the newer architecture" so I went with the i5-4670K which I never ever regret buying.

So if I were you, you should do the same. I'll also be updating my GPU to a GTX 970 from a GTX 560 as soon as they get stocks in my country :D

You know the 3rd Gen i5 would have been fine. I like newer architecture's and everything, but not at the cost of them holding back my PC build from being done. 

Coil whine is usually worthy of an RMA, so I wouldn't decide based on that (also, I really haven't seen widespread concern about it from the tech sites I frequent).

But if you can get a great deal on a GTX 780 Ti, I can't see any serious issues with that choice. Power consumption is higher than the 970, but that isn't saying much. Its almost always faster—the 780 Ti compares more closely to the 980. As long as you can power it, keep it cool, and its fast enough for your needs, why would you care which architecture is simply newer?

Do youhave any video with a card whining enough to be RMA'ed? My 970 kinda whines, but I don't know if it's enough to RMA it.

Do youhave any video with a card whining enough to be RMA'ed? My 970 kinda whines, but I don't know if it's enough to RMA it.

My understanding is that coil whine loud enough to bother the end user is usually considered a defect covered under warranty. What "loud enough to bother" means is subjective and up to that end user. I don't think there's a specific cut-off measured in decibels. It never hurts to just ask customer service.

My understanding is that coil whine loud enough to bother the end user is usually considered a defect covered under warranty. What "loud enough to bother" means is subjective and up to that end user. I don't think there's a specific cut-off measured in decibels. It never hurts to just ask customer service.

Mine just whines when FPS are more than 1200, and today I was messing in the Crysis 2 menu (1200-1300FPS) and the coil whine suddenly stopped...

Mine just whines when FPS are more than 1200, and today I was messing in the Crysis 2 menu (1200-1300FPS) and the coil whine suddenly stopped...

In any regard, I've heard people RMA and still get models with Coil Whine after getting a second, and even a 3rd one. The 900 series is really hectic right now with it. 

we can together if you want tell each other what works

What are your OC speeds, i'm just wondering how high i can get up to...

we can together if you want tell each other what works

What are your OC speeds, i'm just wondering how high i can get up to...

Couldn't you both...you know, PM each other? This thread is pretty much dead. You guys keep reviving it. Lol 

Couldn't you both...you know, PM each other? This thread is pretty much dead. You guys keep reviving it. Lol 

It's just a minor thing

Even GTX 600 series is still a good buy for 1080p gaming. It's *super* cheap for a 670/680 and they perform about as noticeably* well as a GTX 970 at 1080p.

*by this I mean that it would get over 60fps with either card. If you're looking at >1080p or >60fps, then go for a 970.

I use a Lenovo T440: i5 4300U, 8GB RAM, 128GB Samsung 840 Evo, 14" 900p display and an external 23" 1080p passive 3D monitor. Extended 6-cell battery with internal 3-cell. Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (I only use open-source software -- haven't paid for a single program yet).

Mate, the 590 is still viable, let alone 780 ti

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it