Thoughts on my rig

de3pster
Go to solution Solved by DeViLzzz,

Hell maybe I am wrong.  Let me go check.  I don't mind being wrong at all.  However I think I am not ..

http://www.techpowerup.com/202196/asus-enables-overclocking-on-h97-h87-b85-and-h81-series-motherboards.html

CPU intel i7 4790k

Motherboard: Asus b85 PROGAMER

Video card: Asus GTX970 DC II Strix 4GB OC DDR5

Ram: Corsair Vengeance Pro 1600MHz CL9

Case: Fractal Design R4

Storage: Intel 530 ssd 128gb, WD 1TB

Cpu cooler: C.Master Hyper TX3 EVO CPU Cooler

Power supply: Corsair VS Series 650W PSU

And a couple of extra fans. I live in Singapore and im using it for gaming. Do you guys think its okay?

I'm loving that 1600mhz power supply too, good part choices!

~Just the tips

The only good human being is a dead human being. 

I5 4690K MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G MSI Z97 GAMING 5 G.SKILL RIPJAWS X 2X8GB 1600MHZ CL10 CORSAIR CX750M CRUCIAL MX100 512GB 2X WD BLUE 1TB CORSAIR 300R BENQ RL2455HM ♦ WIN 8.1 PRO ♦ UBUNTU 14.04

What's the Power Supply? change the mobo to a z97

My Current PC Codename: Scrapper

Spoiler

Intel i5-3570 | Some LGA 1155 MOBO Some Generic DDR3 8GB 1600Mhz | PowerColor RX 560 2GB | Recycled HP Case Crucial MX100 128GB 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM | Some Generic 500w PSU | Intel Stock Cooler

planned or already built? nice b85 board with a t1 i7 cpu m8...

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

planned

why do you have a b85 board...? you need a z97 board to make use on the unlocked cpu.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Uhhmmmm you are using ram as your PSU? LOL

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

why do you have a b85 board...? you need a z97 board to make use on the unlocked cpu.

will this do?? Asus H97-Plus

PSU rates well.  The cooler rates well.  NIce build but the Fractal Design R4 is too boring for my taste for a case but OP I hope you enjoy your pc when you get it.

Oh and about that motherboard it actually rates well in terms of overclocking so if this is an affordable option you need then yes the board will do the job you want it to.  Look at this review -

http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/review-asus-b85-pro-gamer-motherboard-makes-affordable-gaming-diy-systems-possible/results-power-consumption-overclocking-conclusion-1

PSU rates well. The cooler rates well. NIce build but the Fractal Design R4 is too boring for my taste for a case but OP I hope you enjoy your pc when you get it.

so should i change my motherboard to Asus H97-Plus?

so should i change my motherboard to Asus H97-Plus?

The only negative to the motherboard you picked is that you can't upgrade to a Broadwell cpu but if you don't ever see yourself doing that then if getting this motherboard saves you a fair bit of money that you need you can go with the Asus B85 Pro Gamer.  The link I provided in the edited post shows it to be a good board and it overclocks very well.  They use the term excellent to describe it's overclocking capabilities.

The only negative to the motherboard you picked is that you can't upgrade to a Broadwell cpu but if you don't ever see yourself doing that then if getting this motherboard saves you a fair bit of money that you need you can go with the Asus B85 Pro Gamer. The link I provided in the edited post shows it to be a good board and it overclocks very well. They use the term excellent to describe it's overclocking capabilities.

this may be a stupid question but what is overclocking? If i do there is a chance my pc will fail right? Does overclocking void my warranty?

this may be a stupid question but what is overclocking? If i do there is a chance my pc will fail right? Does overclocking void my warranty?

Overclocking is when you make the clockspeed of your CPU higher than the original. There's a chance of failing if you didn't research on what you're doing and yes it sometimes void your warranty on the CPU but it's fcking worth it. ;)

Spoiler

Intel i5-3570 | Some LGA 1155 MOBO Some Generic DDR3 8GB 1600Mhz | PowerColor RX 560 2GB | Recycled HP Case Crucial MX100 128GB 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM | Some Generic 500w PSU | Intel Stock Cooler

Overclocking is when you make the clockspeed of your CPU higher than the original. There's a chance of failing if you didn't research on what you're doing and yes it sometimes void your warranty on the CPU but it's fcking worth it. ;)

Do note that you can only overclock with a Z97 or Z87 mobo with your CPU. :)

Spoiler

Yes it voids your warranty but you don't tell them about it.  Also in regards to overclocking your pc may not be able to run at certain speeds you set but there is a way to reset things and you just try overclocking again.  It is a process.

Do note that you can only overclock with a Z97 or Z87 mobo with your CPU. :)

Wrong.  He can overclock with the B85.  Go to the link I provided earlier and see.

Wrong.  He can overclock with the B85.  Go to the link I provided earlier and see.

From what I've known, only the G3258 are compatible on overclocking in B85, H97, H87 motherboard. If you can overclock the G3258, why didn't they OCed the 4790k as well? I wouldn't recommend overclocking on those motherboards with an i5 or i7.

Spoiler

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/msi-h97-h87-and-b85-will-all-get-devils-canyon-support.html

MSI followed Asus in allowing overclocking on B85 boards.  

Quoted from article "If you peek at the screenshots you'll notice a i7 4790K on a B85-G43 overclocked to 4.5 GHz and a H97-Guard Pro motherboard with a  Pentium 'Anniversary Edition' G3258 at 4,5 GHz."

will this do?? Asus H97-Plus

Z...

OP the bottom line is if the B85 board you selected will save you significant money and you need that money saved then go with it.  Simple as that.