How To Get Into Cars

Snapy1

Okay well Im really into cars (as most of my buddys on the forums know) but I like them, I dont know that much about them. I know about as much as the average Joe does about cars.

Although I am really re-considering my options for college after highschool. I was honestly either thinking Film, Photography, or Computer Sciences, but recently the idea of being a mechanic has been swimming in my head for quite some time now.

How would one get into learning about cars, I dont really have any friends irl that are in to cars, most of my friends say "They get you from point A to point B and thats all that matters" and to whom I say "Bullshit".

I got a broken Mazda Mini Van all it needs is an new alternator, I was gonna do it myself but I looked it up and its not like most engines where the alternators sitting right there, this one to remove / replace it you have to take off the front left tire, remove the rotor, and lift up the engine. I dont own a garage so I dont really have the tools to lift up the engine and not to mention I dont have the knowledge either.

I was also thinking of buying a clunker for a couple hundred dollars and rebuild it or make it into a sleeper.

idk, just opinions / ideas please.

EDIT: Also about the film and photography I really have no clue. I have a 500USD Canon and I hardly use it.

Open the door and step in

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

Wait, what model minivan? Is it the MPV?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I thought you were going to break into a car!

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

Wait, what model minivan? Is it the MPV?

mazda MPV, yeah.

i got a few pictures on my dslr. Im to lazy to upload them now though.

mazda MPV, yeah.

what year?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Put some 20" Vossen's on that MPV and put it on bags

I got into it through photography. I offered my services and a few people with really great cars (S13/14's, R32/33/34/35's, Supra's etc) contacted me to take pics of their cars. Talked a lot, did some bbq'ing and ended up becoming friends with a couple of them. I knew a lot of theory beforehand but had never done anything practical as I didn't have the money to buy myself a car, but through these guys I got to help out with projects like engineswaps (CA18DET to SR20DET in an S13) and troubleshooting. Opening myself up to this community is easily one of the best things I've ever pushed myself to do. (Bonus: You get to drive a ton of cool cars)

i dont exactly know 2001, 2002 somewhere around there maybe.

I got one of those. The alternator should be that big of a pain in the ass. Well, considering the engine bay is too small, maybe.

Ask for work experience in a garage, but how old are you?

15, be 16 in late May

I got one of those. The alternator should be that big of a pain in the ass. Well, considering the engine bay is too small, maybe.

I was thinking about selling it. The sad part is, the front wind shield has a huge as crack and the rear passenger windshield (the one all the was to the left of the back) is shattered. And I lost the title to it.

If you like cars, you probably won't like being a mechanic for very long.

15, be 16 in late May

so you're not old enough for that then, learn the masses of theory for it then tackle work experience 

If you like cars, you probably won't like being a mechanic for very long.

I second that

I was thinking about selling it. The sad part is, the front wind shield has a huge as crack and the rear passenger windshield (the one all the was to the left of the back) is shattered. And I lost the title to it.

So you owned it at one point? And how does it get that much vandalism? my minivan is always outside and never gets molested.

I did work for free in a car shop few years back just to learn about them more and try to be self sufficient in case I need some basic mechanical repair ,people usually dont mind free work force but not sure how things work there.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

So you owned it at one point? And how does it get that much vandalism? my minivan is always outside and never gets molested.

idk about the front windshield my mom was driving and I think a rock hit it.

And the back windshield is my cousins fall he was hanging on it at one point and it shattered.

idk about the front windshield my mom was driving and I think a rock hit it.

And the back windshield is my cousins fall he was hanging on it at one point and it shattered.

Well don't let him fuck your minivan up like that. What a moron.

Well don't let him fuck your minivan up like that. What a moron.

Yeah I was quite pissed, I didnt own it at that point though, my mom gave it to me about a year ago.

Yeah I was quite pissed, I didnt own it at that point though, my mom gave it to me about a year ago.

but you don't have the title so really it could be anyones haha

Well, if he ruined your mom's minivan, you should have punched him. In the head would have been nice.

Well, if he ruined your mom's minivan, you should have punched him. In the head would have been nice.

he was like 6 lol