Where can I get a legit copy of Win Vista Home Edition?

LarsReviews

I kind of lost the disc and no one near me has a copy of it. Maybe this is important, the key was bought in the USA like 7 years ago. 

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

umm I have to think about it...  But I think dell has a copy of their OEM stuff on their website somewhere.  But that is the only place that I know of.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

Why do you want a copy of Vista?!

Just buy windows 8 on G2A

I got this old laptop that ran Windows VIsta and the drivers don't work that great under Windows 7 or 8. Also I kind of want to try it out after reading so much good stuff about it after SP2. 

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

Better hope Luke doesn't see this ;)

My Laptop
Apple Macbook Pro 13' with Retina Display, 2.4 GHz Core i5, 4 GB 1600 GHz DDR3, 256 GB m.2 SSD, OS X Yosemite, VMware Fusion Pro running Windows 7 and Ubuntu
<p>

Why do you want a copy of Vista?!

Just buy windows 8 on G2A

he did say legit. G2A keys are not legit, they are being illegally sold

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

he did say legit. G2A keys are not legit, they are being illegally sold

What ever, Some are, some arnt, its a grey market.

If someone wants to buy something from there than feel free to do so.

Can't get a legit ISO without a bit of work. However, here this is.

Edit: Yes, that's a legit ISO; it's a guide to do that 'bit of work.'

Thanks I will try that. My internet will just take a few hours for the download :D

What ever, Some are, some arnt, its a grey market.

If someone wants to buy something from there than feel free to do so.

no. some are pirated keys, the rest are msdn keys that are being resold(which also violates the the microsoft terms of service). they are not an authorized seller for windows liscenses and therefor cannot legally sell windows keys. im not saying they arent free to purchase one there(hell thats where i got mine), im just saying it shouldn't be recomended

in regards to OP. you can simply pull your key out of the registry and copy it down somewhere, then use any old iso to reinstall as long as you remember to deactivate it before you reuse it.

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Vista drivers almost always work with Win7 and Win8, so long as you're using the same 32bit/64bit as the drivers. 7/8 are both just revisions/minor changes/streamlined Vista. What model do you have and what is your reference for saying Vista drivers don't work?

Vista drivers almost always work with Win7 and Win8, so long as you're using the same 32bit/64bit as the drivers. 7/8 are both just revisions/minor changes/streamlined Vista. What model do you have and what is your reference for saying Vista drivers don't work?

It is this one: http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=VGNCR123E&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab=download#/downloadTab

It was updated to Windows 7 and since then it just crashed all the time. My grandma needs a new PC (the old one works, but sucks) and I thought I could give it to her, if the laptop works stabile with vista. 

Well, if you still have the license key you can just find an .iso of vista like the others are saying, but if you have a spare license for Win7 or Win8, I believe it would be fine. Those drivers look like they're 32-bit drivers though since it doesn't say 32 or 64 bit. If you installed 64-bit Windows 7 and the drivers didn't work, that is most likely the reason why the drivers didn't work. 32-bit Windows 7 or 8 should be just fine, but YMMV.

That being said, lacking a driver for a device should cause the device to stop working, not cause the entire computer to crash. Something else may be going wrong in that laptop. Hopefully it's just unrelated software, or a bad generic driver instead of a missing driver (rare). If it's hardware problems, you've got something else to worry about.

no. some are pirated keys, the rest are msdn keys that are being resold(which also violates the the microsoft terms of service). they are not an authorized seller for windows liscenses and therefor cannot legally sell windows keys. im not saying they arent free to purchase one there(hell thats where i got mine), im just saying it shouldn't be recomended

in regards to OP. you can simply pull your key out of the registry and copy it down somewhere, then use any old iso to reinstall as long as you remember to deactivate it before you reuse it.

He needs an iso to install it with. :l

I kind of lost the disc and no one near me has a copy of it. Maybe this is important, the key was bought in the USA like 7 years ago. 

post-16777-EoDb.gif

post-16777-IT-crowd-its-um-Vista-gif-MLT

post-16777-IT-crowd-were-going-to-die-gi

"Use the force Harry" 

-Gandalf

Vista is a perfectly fine OS. In fact, Win7 and Win8 are Vista just with a few tweaks (most of which have been given to Vista as well) along with a removal of some unnecessary features that led to more overhead.

Basically, Vista is a perfectly fine OS and I would be content with it if I had a copy. What I wouldn't be content with would be if his drivers restrict him to a 32-bit OS, because <4gb of usable memory is really shitty for today's workloads.

He needs an iso to install it with. :l

true, but if he has his legit license key, he can just torrent any old iso.

|Specs in profile|

true, but if he has his legit license key, he can just torrent any old iso.

Technically he could.

Lars, I have the Digital River ISOs for Vista (English, multi-installers, both in 32 and 64 bit) on file. Want me to put them on a stick and mail that to you by post? That way they're 100% virus-free, which can't be said for all torrents.

Technically he could.

Lars, I have the Digital River ISOs for Vista (multi-installers, both in 32 and 64 bit) on file. Want me to put them on a stick and mail that to you by post? That way they're 100% virus-free, which can't be said for all torrents.

Or could you upload it to dropbox or google drive?

I can try Dropbox. Could take a while to upload them though, Public folder, I assume?

Thanks that would be awesome. I think you can even share certain files, so it doesn't matter which folder you use.

I can try Dropbox. Could take a while to upload them though, Public folder, I assume?

Out of curioisity, would you at all be OK with giving me a link to this iso as well? I've been curious about vista for a while and have a code on my laptop for it.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11