What CPU is the best for Dota 2

hijynx

I was wondering as far performance what would be the best CPU for Dota 2? I was thinking 4790k but the $$ is bit much.  More cores or less cores? Chipset?  From my understanding it is a CPU bound game.  Would OCing make a difference or stick with a chip that is not OCing capable?  Thanks for any advice in advance!

I was wondering as far performance what would be the best CPU for Dota 2? I was thinking 4790k but the $$ is bit much.  More cores or less cores? Chipset?  From my understanding it is a CPU bound game.  Would OCing make a difference or stick with a chip that is not OCing capable?  Thanks for any advice in advance!

a 4790k is WAY overkill, hell, my old XPS 15 with an 840qm was more than enough. 

A Pentium G3258 would be more than enough to run Dota. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Intel Pentium G3258, is a great CPU,
owned one, I was impress with the performance on the CPU barely see any difference in game compared to my 4560k.

pentium g3258 or i3 4150. with cheap h97 mobo(to have compatibility with next gen intel)

pentium g3258 or i3 4150. with cheap h97 mobo(to have compatibility with next gen intel)

an intel core i3 Devils Canyon with an h97 mobo or Intel Pentium G3258 with a Z97 mobo for oc'ing

Pentium G3258 is the way you wanna go.

-edit: I just actually read the post.

You probably wanna to with B85 or H81 for money reasons, since you don't seem to be a heavy 4 way SLI user or streamer or anything alike. The Pentium G3258 is one of the best CPUs for it's price mark (at least in my mind) and has great performance if overclocked. Also a somewhat new CPU won't bottleneck any GPU, especially if overclocked, even if it's a CPU heavy game like Dota 2.

Here is a short list of good motherboards and what overclocks you can potentially get on a G3258: http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2389948

I hope this helps you and that you know what you want to get now.

I once had one of these, now I've got this.

As people have already stated, pretty much any newer, low cost Intel CPU would be more than enough. How much are you wanting to spend on a new motherboard/ CPU? I'd probably stick with the Pentium G3258, pick up a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ and overclock the snot out of it.

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

Thanks for everyone's advice - so I should not worry about bottle neck? I am looking at Strix GTX 970 (no SLI).  The mobo I am looking at is Asus H97M-E/CSM.  I am not trying to build a very low cost PC but something that can be upgraded in the future and still have a good running PC. 

This build is for a client's son who is playing DOTA (semi-pro?) and I would like to get the best performance possible out of it and not break the bank.  The mobo or anything else is not set in stone but was going to be part of the 1st option I am going to present to him.  It will be used in the future at college so I was thinking size wise it would work well.

a 4790k is WAY overkill, hell, my old XPS 15 with an 840qm was more than enough. 

A Pentium G3258 would be more than enough to run Dota. 

To expand on this my AMD Phenom II 810 can run DOTA 2. Any current CPU will be able to run DOTA2. Here is a video done by JayZtwocents on bottlenecking. I would recommend either a z97 or h97 board and an i5.