Best Mid-Range headphones and cheap mic for PC Gaming?

kkiller23

First of all. This is my motherboard http://us.msi.com/product/mb/P67AGD65_B3.html I won't need a soundcard/dac, correct?

I usally just buy like a 30$ headset, but think it's time to get something that will allow me to enjoy my TV shows and movies a bit more, since my PC is the only thing i use. I do everything on it, game, listen to music, watch movies/tv.

I've been thinking about going with the HD 518s. I'm no where near an audiophile, not looking to spend a ton of money. I'm just looking for a nice pair of head phones that will last and will sound good with games, tv, movies and classic rock/house music.

If someone could also recommend a cheap clip mic or something that would work with these that would be great. I was going to get this http://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-BoomPro-Gaming-Headset-Headphone/dp/B00BJ17WKK

then i saw it wouldn't work with most of the headphones. So if someone knows of a cheap portable mic for under 20$ would be great. I don't need like a 900$ boom mic that hangs off my ceiling. I just want something that will clip to my headphones cable etc

You're moving up. I'd recommend a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M40x, as they are a steal on Amazon as of current ($97) ! For a clip-on mic, the best one I can recommend is the ModMic 4.0 ($50). This combination should be well worth your money.

I'll be the guy who recommends a headset. I had a steelseries 7h for about a year the mic stopped working but i loved them for the sound quality and i do alot of what you do on my pc. So i just ordered the hyperx clouds http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JJNQG98/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. If they are on par or better than my 7h i will be happy. I am NOT an audiophile however.

try editors keys anx-10's. cost around a 100 bucks. sound like HD-25's although with a little less definition.
Use the ModMic 4.0 as a microphone

Welp

CPU: Intel 4790k Cooler: Corsair h100i Mobo: ASUS Z97-A RAM: Corsair 16GB Vengeance 1866 GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 Storage: Crucial mx100 512GB & x3 2TB HDDs Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl PSU: Seasonic SSR-650RM Monitors: Acer XB271HU and Asus VG236 Keyboard: Corsair Gaming k70 RGB Mouse: Cyborg RAT 7 Headset: Sennheiser 558 + Antlion ModMic 4.0 Speakers: Harmon Kardon Soundsticks

You're moving up. I'd recommend a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M40x, as they are a steal on Amazon as of current ($97) ! For a clip-on mic, the best one I can recommend is the ModMic 4.0 ($50). This combination should be well worth your money.

How does the ath-m40x compare to the hd-518?

Wouldn't the hd 518s have a better soundstage since it's an open headphone and has bigger drivers?

I'm no audiophile, but did a bit of googling and people are saying that open headphones are better for gaming if you don't mind other people being able to hear what you are listening too.

Thanks. Seen that on Amazon while looking at the hd518, but people on youtube were saying it's a really quite mic. Could just be them, do you know any other like that one?

Yes, the HD518s have a better soundstage due to its open back design. It's just personal preference that I use closed back design. Of course, it's all choice and opinion here.

Yes, the HD518s have a better soundstage due to its open back design. It's just personal preference that I use closed back design. Of course, it's all choice and opinion here.

Aftering doing a lot of googling and looking at prices. I'm gonna go with the HD 558. They are on Amazon "Like New" for 90$ shipped and pick up that 7$ Zalman mic. I really don't think i'll be able to find a better pair for that price. Thanks for all the help. I think this is going to make a great headset for a total of 98$ :P

Most likely sound better than most of the 200$+ headsets hopefully.

How does the ath-m40x compare to the hd-518?

Wouldn't the hd 518s have a better soundstage since it's an open headphone and has bigger drivers?

I'm no audiophile, but did a bit of googling and people are saying that open headphones are better for gaming if you don't mind other people being able to hear what you are listening too.

Driver size doesn't matter, it's a useless spec, but yes the open 518's will have a better sound stage which is better for games. They really don't like that much sound unless you are listening to them at insane volumes.