Planning my first Stryker build

I have been watching linus's videos since even before he went blonde (yeah remember that?) and i have never really built any computers because of money problems and the "gaming" pc i bought 5 years ago has held up pretty well.

Now i have been working and saving up money for a while and with the new 700 series cards and haswell coming out i think that it's time for me to start building myself a new system. This year i got a CM stryker case as a birthday present and i would like to set up my build in it.

as I'm not experienced in building computers i was hoping to get some help and input from you guys in the forums, I've got a basic idea of what i want in my build but everything could change depending on what the people on this forum tells me.

• MB: ASUS Z87-DELUXE ATX
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K 3.5 GHz
  • GFX: 2x Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 3GB
  • RAM: Kingston 32GB (4x8192MB) CL11 2133Mhz Beast Series
  • CASE: Cooler Master CM Stryker
  • PSU: ?
  • SSD: Samsung SSD Pro Basic 840-Series 512GB

For the motherboard i chose the ASUS Z87-DELUXE ATX because it has all the ports i need such as S/DIF, Wireless a/b/g/n/ac, dual gigabit, and ofcourse USB 3.0.

For CPU i chose the 4770k because it is the best haswell CPU out.

For my graphics cards i chose to use 2 GTX 780's because I want the best performance and i like using more then just 3-4 displays.

The RAM i need is 32gb because i use A LOT of it because i multitask a lot on my current system but i would like to do it even more, i also dont want low RAM to burden me in the future.

the case is obviously the CM stryker because i got it as a birthday present.

I am not sure what PSU would fit this build which is partly why im here.

For my storage i have a a single 512GB samsung pro where i want to store my OS, games, and applications on. I have a NAS for all my other necessary storage.

Now some other questions i have are:

As this is my first build i'm thinking that i shouldnt liquid cool anything - or atleast keep it to a minimum, as in getting maybe an h220 for the cpu?

For my fan solution i would want something with on/off green LEDs and not too loud, I've been checking out the Bitfenix Spectre Pro and they seem like a good choice.

5322142_0.png

Would i need an extra fan controller next to the one included in the Stryker case since its only got space for 2 fans aswell as the speed is manually controlled so i couldnt make them speed up when overclocking or slow down when idling automatically.

Would a dedicated sound card be a good investment? im using Logitech z906 speakers if that matters at all.

Green is the colour i wanted for the lighting in this case so if there are any components that are better then the ones i listed and are green that would be a nice plus.

The budget can be over 5000$ if i decide it's worth that much

I am located in Sweden

The aim of the build is mostly for gaming but i do torrents and run minor servers, stream videos and manga daily.

Running 3-4 monitors

Got/am getting all the peripherals i need

making a build because everything is outdated

In my opinion you could save some money on the RAM by going for 1600MHz CL9/10 instead. Don't really think you're getting much more practical performance out of higher clock speeds. 1.5V also produce less heat. 

On PSU you should get a real reliable powerhouse. I've heard the new AXi-series from Corsair is pretty good. All digital and stuff. 860i would be enough I think. It's that wattrange you should be looking anyways. Seasonic also make great PSUs. Some Corsair ones are actually made by Seasonic if I'm not mistaken. 

Otherwise it looks great. Love the Samsung SSD, Haswell and GPUs. A beast build. Although I really don't like the look of the MB, but that's personal preference. About the speakers and sound card you really have to try out someone elses before you make a decision. Some think it's a night and day difference, others don't care at all. 

Current build: Antec P180, Asus P8Z68 Pro, Intel i5-2500k, Asus GTX 570 2GB, Patriot 16GB 1600MHz, Corsair HX 650W.

New build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/11270-video-editing-workstation-build/

1. In my opinion you could save some money on the RAM by going for 1600MHz CL9/10 instead. Don't really think you're getting much more practical performance out of higher clock speeds. 1.5V also produce less heat. 

2. On PSU you should get a real reliable powerhouse. I've heard the new AXi-series from Corsair is pretty good. All digital and stuff. 860i would be enough I think. It's that wattrange you should be looking anyways. Seasonic also make great PSUs. Some Corsair ones are actually made by Seasonic if I'm not mistaken. 

3. Otherwise it looks great. Love the Samsung SSD, Haswell and GPUs. A beast build. Although I really don't like the look of the MB, but that's personal preference. About the speakers and sound card you really have to try out someone elses before you make a decision. Some think it's a night and day difference, others don't care at all. 

1. Theres a 30$ difference between the cheapest 32gb CL9/CL10 kit and the kingston memory i chose, to me 30$ here and there in this build isn't really much to care about.

Is the performance difference not noticable at all and/or could the potential heat that it generate cause problems?

2. I'll look some of them up, thanks =)

3. All right, thank you very much for your input.

Since i will be overclocking the cpu i heard the maximum speed of your memory will clock down so would 2133Mhz be useless?

still only 1 person responding? :s

The pictures in the post make it a bit of a pain for reading the text. 

Anyway, it seems you're building a very powerful/expensive rig but I'm not sure what you using it for.

It would help to know more about what you're using it for beyond what you already stated. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.