Best upgrades for older computer

The height of the GPU seems to be 1.57 inches. I should measure one of the slot covers on my computer to see if that's the same size. So, assuming the back plate of the GPU is the same size (as the card itself is only 1.57 inches high) it looks like this GPU would fit. Thanks for pointing me towards this GPU. 

This computer might not be able to take full advantage of an SSD, but I'm sure it'd be a worthy upgrade. But, if I were to get an SSD, it'd be for my laptop first.

Go on Wikipidea and search up the standards for PCI brackets

if you get something like an MX100 it would be cheap - give it a look!

Remember to be a good citizen and choose a 'best answer' when your problem has been resolved!

(that way people know when a problem's been resolved)

I have a Quadro NVS 310 I could give you. It's a low profile card and doesn't require a powerful PSU to run. It's not the best card but it fits in your low-profile case and gives you about GT 520 level performance. Come over some day and I'll hand it to you if you want.

Do you mean you're just going to give it? 

I have no signature. There is nothing to see here. Move along.

Do you mean you're just going to give it? 

If you'd like then sure. Maybe $5 for a day's lunch money or something would be nice, but you don't have to. 

"Rawr XD"

If you'd like then sure. Maybe $5 for a day's lunch money or something would be nice, but you don't have to. 

That's really too kind of you. I could give $5, if you really only want that much  :lol: But until I get my license it could be a while. I graduated high school and as such I have no need for a transit pass anymore and convincing my parents to take me (especially if you're located far from me) could prove to be quite a task.

That's really too kind of you. I could give $5, if you really only want that much  :lol: But until I get my license it could be a while. I graduated high school and as such I have no need for a transit pass anymore and convincing my parents to take me (especially if you're located far from me) could prove to be quite a task.

lol where are you

"Rawr XD"

lol where are you

I think it'd be best to keep that in a personal message.

• 6 years later...
On 10/20/2014 at 5:28 AM, LOLZpersonok said:

I feel that this is the best forum for this thread. If it isn't, please forgive me.

I have an HP Compaq dc7600 small form factor PC. I want to upgrade it to the best of its capability, just for the sake of it. That includes a new processor and graphics card. But, I'm not sure what I want to get.

Currently, it has a 3.0GHz Pentium 4 630 (hyperthreaded) processor, its default Intel graphics controller and 4GB of DDR2 RAM. I actually experimented with installing 8GB of RAM, and even though the BIOS correctly detected the full 8GB, the computer would crash after a few minutes. Windows did not, because it's a 32 bit installation.

I would like to upgrade the computer to be able to play some games, as a spare computer. Nothing really new and PC crunching and nothing on extreme graphics settings. We'll save that for another computer. I know that I'd be able to install a Core 2 Duo or possibly a Core 2 Quad in this computer but I'm not sure what kind of GPU. It has to be a low profile GPU, a regular, full-sized GPU is simply too tall to fit in the case. And that's where I'm not sure as to which GPU to get. I'm looking for a GPU that would go well with a Core 2 Duo or a Core 2 Quad.

Here are some more detailed specs:

• Hewlett-Packard 09F8h motherboard, DDR2 based board
  • Intel Pentium 4 630, hyperthreaded processor. 3.0GHz clock speed. Codename Prescott.
  • Socket 775 LGA
  • Bus speed is 200MHz, rated FSB speed is 800MHz
  • 4GB DDR2-667 RAM. 4GB limit. 4 slots, but 4GB can still be utilized in 2x2GB.
  • One PCIe x16 slot available, for low profile GPUs. It must be low profile, a regular height GPU will not fit.
  • Two SATA connectors on the board, SSD upgrades shouldn't be much of a hassle.
  • I believe the PSU is 240 or 250 watts. Most likely 240 watts. The PSU cannot be upgraded, due to the case design.

Things to remember:

• This isn't a powerful PSU, and has a low limit.
  • Low profile GPU!

What upgrade suggestions do you have?

please do tell me how did u manage to install core2duo on this motherboard everything i find it tells me the only proccesors that are supported are intel pentiums d from 800 -950 models