i7 920 still good?

Hey guys, quick question:

Is the Intel i7 920 still considered a "good' CPU? I've had mine for quite some time now and it still feels fast, but is it? What do you guys think?

Also, is it bottle-necking my EVGA GTX 660 SC?

Main uses for PC:

PHotoshop CS6

Premiere/AfterFX CS6

C4D

Gaming

fVzFpKE.jpg

post-27744-0-49226200-1370445883_thumb.j

post-27744-0-49226200-1370445883_thumb.j

Edited by fjorn1

I dont think is a bad CPU in fact I think for its age its still a great CPU. Is it OC'ed? What kind of games do you play? If you do not have it OC'ed then I think it might be a bottlekneck depeneding on CPU load and game being ran on it. 

CPU: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.8ghz  |  Motherboard: Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |  Video Card:  Radeon HD 7970 Ghz Edition 6GB  |  Ram: 32Gb Corsair 2400Mhz  |  SSD: Samsung 840 120GB X2 Raid 0  |  Storage: WD Black 2TB X2 Raid 0  |  Power Supply: Corsair AX1200   Case: Corsair 800D  |  Monitors: 3X 2560X1440 LED  |  OS: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit  |  Keyboard: Logitech G19  |  Mouse: Logitech G600 MMO  |  GamerTag: ZombieS1ayerKing  |  Quote: “Programming is like sex, one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life.”

I would say that you still have a good CPU

even if you play today's games

WHY!!!

Still rolling with my 930 @4.2ghz . I see no reason to upgrade unless you have one of the newer gen GPUs.

My Mobile Devices: HTC Dream (G1) Rooted, HTC Bravo (Desire) Rooted, Samsung Galaxy SII Rooted, Samsung Galaxy Note II Rooted, iPhone 4s Jailbroken, iPad 2 Jailbroken

I have an 920, and I considered changing it out fora 3770k or a 4770k but tbh. It still eats all up.

The only time when I have issues is when I encode in 1080p and plays at the same time.  But tbh. THAT eats up A LOT of dough.

I'm going to continue using mine for the next year.

And no - It's not going to bottleneck the 660 SC. I use a 660ti and that hits max usage before my cpu.

I game bf3, arma 2,3 and a lot of dayz wich destroys your cpu, but it runs smoothly.

Gaming PC: i7 4770k - 660ti SLI - Asus Z87 Pro - 2x8gb DDR3 Crucual Ballistix Sport 1600 - 840 Evo 120 gb - OCZ agility3 120gb - Check my pc HERE
Streaming PC: Xeon 1230v3 - 2x4gb DDR3 - 120gb SSD - Internet: 50/25 - Microphone: AT2020 + Behringer Xenyx Qx1002USB

Gaming & Streaming PC connected via Elgato Game capture HD - Check out my DayZ content on Youtube

It's OC'd slightly, as I'm afraid to go too much higher due to its age. I was deciding between liquid cooling and a new PSU or a whole new MOBO/CPU and it looks like I'm going to be sticking with the 920 for awhile.

I use a i7 930 OC@4.0Ghz. Sure it bottlenecks my GTX 680 Directcu II TOP in games, and yes there are faster options for video editing/enconding. BUT it works!

:D

Still rolling with my 930 @4.2ghz . I see no reason to upgrade unless you have one of the newer gen GPUs.

What's your BIOS Config and your cooling solution's/Case ?

Hell, A whole rundown of the computer specs would be greatly appreciated!  

What's your BIOS Config and your cooling solution's/Case ?

Hell, A whole rundown of the computer specs would be greatly appreciated!  

I will note the settings next time im in my bios and let you know. The PC is not that "wow". The cooling is an H100 with scythe gentle typhoons and the cooling paste is AS5. Case is a modified HAF-X.

My Mobile Devices: HTC Dream (G1) Rooted, HTC Bravo (Desire) Rooted, Samsung Galaxy SII Rooted, Samsung Galaxy Note II Rooted, iPhone 4s Jailbroken, iPad 2 Jailbroken

I will note the settings next time im in my bios and let you know. The PC is not that "wow". The cooling is an H100 with scythe gentle typhoons and the cooling paste is AS5. Case is a modified HAF-X.

Alright liquid cooled! I use air cooling (Noctua nh d14) and a Fractal Design R4 case with closed top & double intake fans in front and one outake. 

May i ask, What's your idle temps? 

I will note the settings next time im in my bios and let you know. 

Thank you! :)

Alright liquid cooled! I use air cooling (Noctua nh d14) and a Fractal Design R4 case with closed top & double intake fans in front and one outake. 

May i ask, What's your idle temps? 

Thank you! :)

Room temp is about 21-23, idle temp 42.

Room temp is about 21-23, idle temp 42.

Alright, mine are 22- 24. Idle Temp around 50. 

That was the very first gen i7 lowest model processor. I rather keep it instead of letting its life-span running. :(

Not in production anymore. But you still can buy them from 1st holder.

I'll be retiring my 920 but not because it's not good for gaming any more :)

I'm currently running an i7 950 - It'll do 4.0Ghz on stock volts, but because it's 1366 overclocking disables the speedstep technology so it runs hotter and louder when idle than I'd otherwise like. Having said that, it'll bawss through any of the latest games no problem with my overclocked and liquid-cooled GTX 680 even at stock speeds.

My main reasons for looking at Haswell are front panel USB 3.0 (seriously annoying having those connectors non-functional XD), adaptive overclocking (by the looks of things I could overclock it, but set it to only go up to that speed when under load) and the fact that I find myself doing a lot more Handbrake transcoding - Some of the big 1080p files take about 4 hours to encode into .mp4 on this 950, so I'm kinda looking to reduce that by moving to a 4770k.

The other option would be Ivybridge-E in September (on socket 2011), which you might benefit from given your stated uses (Photoshop, Premiere/AfterFX CS6 and C4D), especially if you have the cash for a 6-core model and lots of RAM.

The 950 is still a great CPU though if you don't find yourself lacking in features/wishing you were able to do something which another platform is capable of. Essentially if it still feels fast, it's fast enough :)

Why are you asking us? load up FRAPS and record your FPS. If you are dropping below 30 and it's no fault of the GPU then just upgrade.

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

Its still a good cpu, im still rocking my 1090T so! 

1090T FTW lol I remember when I got that CPU I still think it was a great multitasker to say the least.

CPU: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.8ghz  |  Motherboard: Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |  Video Card:  Radeon HD 7970 Ghz Edition 6GB  |  Ram: 32Gb Corsair 2400Mhz  |  SSD: Samsung 840 120GB X2 Raid 0  |  Storage: WD Black 2TB X2 Raid 0  |  Power Supply: Corsair AX1200   Case: Corsair 800D  |  Monitors: 3X 2560X1440 LED  |  OS: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit  |  Keyboard: Logitech G19  |  Mouse: Logitech G600 MMO  |  GamerTag: ZombieS1ayerKing  |  Quote: “Programming is like sex, one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life.”

The 900 series processor is still kick-ass. The performance increase form the latest Intel processor from what you have is negligible in real world, unless you do CPU intensive tasks, and you really want to shave off that extra few seconds from some hour process or something like that.

In gaming, the CPU is not even being closed to be pushed, even on CPU demanding games.

Honestly, I won't be surprised if you can keep it in total 5-6 years from the moment of purchase.

If you wanna upgrade then i would recommend that you wait another year or two years to see what comes after 1150. Preorder your z107 motherboard.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1