Whats a good motherboard and cpu to get for 200 pounds/ 321 dollas

At Christmas i'm going to get around 200 pounds or 321 dollars and im not quite sure on what CPU and motherboard to get, can i get any help looking please or maybe experience of some people i'm really stuck.

At Christmas i'm going to get around 200 pounds or 321 dollars and im not quite sure on what CPU and motherboard to get, can i get any help looking please or maybe experience of some people i'm really stuck.

What is the system being used for?

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

gaming and general use. but mainly just gaming on.

Will you be OC'ing?

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

gaming and general use. but mainly just gaming on.

Over budget, but with overclocking:

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/LjPJmG

Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/LjPJmG/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£169.60 @ Aria PC)

Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£61.26 @ Amazon UK)

Total: £230.86

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-17 16:14 BST+0100

Under budget, without overclocking:

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3qyHRB

Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3qyHRB/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£131.94 @ Aria PC)

Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty H97 Killer ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£55.99 @ Amazon UK)

Total: £187.93

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-17 16:15 BST+0100

In games, they will perform similarly.  Some games will benefit from overclocking, but not all.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

If OC'ing (Board is automatically limited to 1.3V which is what you do not want to exceed anyway so perfect for that) without SLI support. If you need SLI support then get the MSI Z97-G55 SLI instead.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£169.60 @ Aria PC) 

Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£61.26 @ Amazon UK) 

Total: £230.86

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-17 16:17 BST+0100

If not OC'ing but has hyperthreading which will make the CPU last a lot longer in terms of keeping up to date.

Total: £241.20

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-17 16:18 BST+0100

If not OC'ing and don't need the hyperthreading:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£148.00 @ Aria PC) 

Total: £209.26

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-17 16:19 BST+0100

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

thank you some good suggestions but i have heard before that AMD could be more of a value for money or have i heard wrong?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor  (£124.61 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard  (£65.88 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £190.49
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-17 17:04 BST+0100

With only 190 quid you can already outperform i7 2nd and 3rd gen processors and still have a bit of headroom left.

EDIT: The Xeon mentioned by Archangel1994 slightly outperforms this AMD rig, but it really depends on what you are going to do with the rig.

The AMD FX-8350 does outperform all the i5's mentioned before, and the motherboard allows overclocking if you are into that.

Edited by TwOne

Laptop: Intel Core i5-4200H, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD, GeForce 840M

Desktop: Intel Core i3-6100, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD, GeForce GTX 750 Ti

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor  (£124.61 @ Amazon UK)

Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard  (£65.88 @ Ebuyer)

Total: £190.49

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-17 17:04 BST+0100

With only 190 quid you can already outperform i7 2nd and 3rd gen processors and still have a bit of headroom left.

EDIT: The Xeon mentioned by Archangel1994 slightly outperforms this AMD rig, but it really depends on what you are going to do with the rig.

The AMD FX-8350 does outperform all the i5's mentioned before, and the motherboard allows overclocking if you are into that.

Thank you but lets say i'm just going to be gaming whats my best bet in going for.

Thank you but lets say i'm just going to be gaming whats my best bet in going for.

Best bet for gaming is Intel. Even a locked i5 outperforms the FX8. Hello, i3s outperform FX8

Best bet for gaming is Intel. Even a locked i5 outperforms the FX8. Hello, i3s outperform FX8

so all together which will be the best one for me to get to game with?

<snip>

**in multithreaded

so all together which will be the best one for me to get to game with?

i5-4690k + Z97 if you can afford it.

If not,

Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpick...RB/by_merchant/

Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty H97 Killer ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£55.99 @ Amazon UK)

thank you all im most likely going to ask for some extra money from other relatives, and go for the 4690k and the z97.

i5-4690k + Z97 if you can afford it.

If not,

Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpick...RB/by_merchant/

what would be a sensible OC on this CPU i've never OC before?

what would be a sensible OC on this CPU i've never OC before?

You have to go into overclocking with an open mind.  Try not to compare your results with others, because your results are going to be unique to your processor.  I would venture a guess that you will be able to hit 4.2Ghz easily.  4.4-4.6Ghz seems to be the average.  Above 4.6 at 1.3v or below is a very nice chip.

Overclocking is a mix of voltage and temperature.  You increase the voltage, the power supplied to the CPU, and you increase the multiplier.  As you increase the voltage, the heat rises.  You want to keep the heat down as low as possible.  1.3v / 85C and lower is considered safe for 24/7 use.  You are not going to be able to overclock on the stock cooler.  You will need a more expensive after market CPU cooler.  This will cost another 25 pounds.  I wouldn't worry about a CPU cooler from the start, get in there, play around with your CPU at stock settings, and then as you get more money, then buy an after market CPU cooler.  I highly recommend the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO.  It is very inexpensive, wildly popular and performs incredibly given its price.

With overclocking, it is often referred to as the silicon lottery, its complete luck of the draw.  Some chips are good, some are bad, and most are in between. When you start to overclock, you should do a lot of research, read a lot of guides, watch some videos, and focus on getting the best possible result for your chip that you're comfortable with.

You have to go into overclocking with an open mind.  Try not to compare your results with others, because your results are going to be unique to your processor.  I would venture a guess that you will be able to hit 4.2Ghz easily.  4.4-4.6Ghz seems to be the average.  Above 4.6 at 1.3v or below is a very nice chip.

Overclocking is a mix of voltage and temperature.  You increase the voltage, the power supplied to the CPU, and you increase the multiplier.  As you increase the voltage, the heat rises.  You want to keep the heat down as low as possible.  1.3v / 85C and lower is considered safe for 24/7 use.  You are not going to be able to overclock on the stock cooler.  You will need a more expensive after market CPU cooler.  This will cost another 25 pounds.  I wouldn't worry about a CPU cooler from the start, get in there, play around with your CPU at stock settings, and then as you get more money, then buy an after market CPU cooler.  I highly recommend the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO.  It is very inexpensive, wildly popular and performs incredibly given its price.

With overclocking, it is often referred to as the silicon lottery, its complete luck of the draw.  Some chips are good, some are bad, and most are in between. When you start to overclock, you should do a lot of research, read a lot of guides, watch some videos, and focus on getting the best possible result for your chip that you're comfortable with.

thank you very much i will be sure to go with your advice and put it on my Christmas list