Fan Orientation vs Dust

Go to solution Solved by Aphexx,

also... (10 character limit)

I live in a particularly dusty house (it's quite old) and am having a few dust issues with my setup, so I was wondering if there was a particular case fan orientation/setup that would minimize dust intake (past just adding filters and such).Thanks!

Positive pressure (more intake than exhaust) lets the dust just pass through your computer. Good airflow in general will help too. No dead spots means no places for the dust to deposit.

Positive pressure (more intake than exhaust) lets the dust just pass through your computer.

Positive pressure does not mean this at all. Positive pressure means dust doesn't get sucked in from gaps in the case as air is always "leaking" out of the gaps.

If the dust is in the air and you want to push air through the case without dust the only thing you can do is filter it, well beyond extremes like running an air duct from outside or moving house :p

use positive pressure (3 fans intake, 2 fans out for example) and you wont get any dust in your case from the cracks and gaps in your case.

just be sure that your intake fans are filtered.

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff."

Dont understimate my skillsz, you might look foolish.

I keep meaning to tune into a livestream to ask for an update on this linus build

edit: personally I've been using dryer sheets as adhesive filters with tape on less visible parts of the case it does a bit of air freshening for a couple days.

Thanks for all the help!

Make sure you have more fans as intake than exhaust.Positive removes dust bunnies and reduce dust build up by a lot. Eventually, you will have to clean your computer.

You could always get something like a DataVac to blow out your computer every once in a while. They are very effective and aren't too expensive.

You'll have to clean out your dust filters every so often anyways because of the build up of dust. Since your house is quite dusty, the dust filters will build up extremely fast and eventually you'll have little to no airflow at all.

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=73297&vpn=ED500&manufacture=Metro

Trying not to repeat what other people say but if your house is that dusty try and make your intake from the top and exhausts at the bottom.

It will stop dust from being sucked up into the case.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.