Am I the only one that feels like Sony and Samsung have similar phones?

Sonefiler

First of all is the clear naming similarities. Samsung has the S and Sony has the Z. 

(This also matches with how Samsung has curvy phones and Sony has sharper corners)

Sony did waterproofing first.

Sony did the whole "crazy good camera" thing first.

TouchWiz looks like Sony's skin (don't know the name)

And overall a lot of the stuff just is... similar. I don't know why. Does anyone else feel that way?

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

No

Case: Corsair Carbdie 330R Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P Asus Z97-A CPU: AMD FX-6300 i5 4690K 3.5 GHZ + 212 EVO GPU: ASUS GTX 760 DirectCUII Ram: Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb (2x4gb) HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M
Monitor: AOC Q2963pm 29'' 21:9 IPS Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Mousepad: Mionix Sargas 320 Headset: HyperX Cloud Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 RGBIKEA Headset/Headphone Holder

Smartphone companies, competing aggressively against by copying each other's designs? 

Unheard of..

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

They have nothing in common, your arguments could go to every flagship comparison... LG G,2,3...
Cameras will progress as usual...

I kind of feel this way about all phones and have not had much motivation to upgrade for years outside of necessities/exceptional deals.

no, the design is totally diffrent of almost everything, sony's look elegeant and premium and samsungs looks like a band-aid, sony has an almost naked android skin that is very lightweight and samsung has crappy and slow as fuck touchwiz

Xperia-Z2-vs-GS5-and-HTC-One-M8_4-640x42

sony-gsamsung-gs5-z2.jpg

totally diffrent....

msi z97m gaming - i5 4690k @4.4ghz 1.2V corsair h110 powercolor r9 290x pcs+ - 8GB corsair vengeance dual channel @2133mhz - thermaltake smart power se 730watts - intel 530 series 240GB ssd seagate 1tb 7200rpm - corsiar obsidian 350D - 2x enermax tb silence 140mm - logitech x-530 - sony mdr xb600 - medion 24'' 1080P cm storm quickfire tk white edition with cherry mx red cheap but awesome mouse #GloriousPaintMasterRace

Completely different in every way

Unless you class every android phone as the same... the sonys and samsungs do not have much in common besides the OS they run on, and the fact they make high end large and mid range compact phones

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii