Single vs Double Gpu

XCore

Hi,

I a computer with 

AMD FX-6300 Ram Oc to 4.4(normal 3.5)

8GB 1866MHz Hyperx Genesis

120GB SSD Kingston

Radeon R9 270 2GB and a Gigabyte motherboard.

In my country, Sweden, u can buy either 1 gtx 780 + 750 psu or 2 gtx 660 + 750 psu for the same price.

And since im a noob at building computers i need 2 know where i will get most performance.

I run a double monitor setup with both at 1920x1080. I play games like watch_dogs, Lol, Cs go and planning on buying AC Unity and Shadow of Mordor.

I feel that my grapich card is faling me and i have black/freeze screen sometimes, i want an upgrade and i needs some help with it.

Thank you and sorry for any english misstakes :)

Hi,

I a computer with 

120GB SSD Kingston

In my country, Sweden, u can buy either 1 gtx 780 + 750 psu or 2 gtx 660 + 750 psu for the same price.

And since im a noob at building computers i need 2 know where i will get most performance.

I run a double monitor setup with both at 1920x1080. I play games like watch_dogs, Lol, Cs go and planning on buying AC Unity and Shadow of Mordor.

I feel that my grapich card is faling me and i have black/freeze screen sometimes, i want an upgrade and i needs some help with it.

i believe the 780 will perform better then the two 660's

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Go for the 780, SLI doesn't work in every game and the card is a beast, it will outperform 2 660's most of the time.

Edit: Welcome to the forum!

Mah Build:  CPU: Intel i7-7700K COOLING: NZXT Kraken X52 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1080 MOBO: Asus Strix Z270F RAM: 16GB GSKILL TridentZ RGB 3000 

CASE: In Win 303 STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate 1TB  SSHD PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750W

IMO always go for the best single card you can

SLI is not supported by everything so in some games you will be relying on a single card, which is lame, also it does not scale as well in all games so sometimes you will not gain that much from the second card, plus extra power draw, extra heat etc etc

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

The GTX 660 Sli should gives you a edge over GTX 780 but not if the game is kind of broken in Sli support like Borderlands Pre-Sequel I play. If you use softwares like Shadow Play to record game footage, you will get more performance from GTX 780. The two GTX 660s will get hit so much hard by capturing software in gaming.

PC : | CPU: Intel 4790K | COOLER: Corsair H105 w/ JetFlo's Push/Pull | MOBO: EVGA Z97 Classified | GPU: EVGA FTW 4GB GTX 970 X2 | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 1866Mhz 32GB | CASE: HAF Stacker 945 | PSU: Corsair AX1500i | DISPLAY: Asus MX299Q | SSD: 2 X Corsair Neutron GTX 480 GB in RAID0 | mSATA SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB | HDD: 4 X Western Digital RED 4 TB in JBOD |

I would point you to read the SLI information guide in my signature (it's a clickable link) to find out what what the benefits and drawbacks are about SLI if you are considering it, however I PERSONALLY suggest the 780, especially since most new games (especially AAA ones) do not support SLI on release, but good luck!

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Here in the US, the GTX 780 isn't available for cheap enough to be worth buying over the new GTX 970. I know pricing and availability will differ in Sweden, but it would be worthwhile to check and see if the GTX 970 is available for a similar price.

SLI and Crossfire are generally things to avoid unless you need absurd GPU power for something; 4K, or multiple monitor gaming or something.

Thank you for all ur comments, ur really the best.  I will look into the 970 and and i dont find it cheap enough I will go for the single card :D

Agien Thank you all

i would go 780 or 970 there is not much price different komplett.se 780=2900sek 970=3100sek

what about a 970 ? it would be an even better deal than the 780

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

I need 2 check my motherboard aswell dont i, gtx 970 isnt supported on anything than x99? am I wrong?

I need 2 check my motherboard aswell dont i, gtx 970 isnt supported on anything than x99? am I wrong?

Yep you're wrong. 

Does your motherboard have this slot: (The red one in this case) (PS colour doesn't matter As long as it is a PCI-E 16x slot)

f32b2095058a8ec7a8602641ff50c0ff.png

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

You could get a 650W PSU and a GTX 970 if it comes out at the same price point as the 780 + 750W. It would work great.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

-

Welcome to the forum! Please remember to follow your topics so you're notified when someone answers ;) in my sig you can find links to the CoC and the forum's F.A.Q. check them out!

Don't touch those two options for your own sake ^^ get a gtx 970 or an amd R9 290 if it's 80bucks or more cheaper.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Yep you're wrong. 

Does your motherboard have this slot: (The red one in this case) (PS colour doesn't matter As long as it is a PCI-E 16x slot)

f32b2095058a8ec7a8602641ff50c0ff.png

Oh nice, Thank you

DONT GET A 780! get a 970, it performs better than a 780. No reason to get a

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Hi,

I a computer with 

120GB SSD Kingston

660's will give you more raw FPS but i had loads of problems with my 660 sli setup , go with the 780 , 1 high end GPU is always better than 2 mid range GPU's :)

My Pc Specs

CPU : AMD FX-8350 @stock w/Noctua NH D-14   Mobo: Asus M5A99FX    Ram : 16gb Corsair XMS3 @1600mhz    GPU : Gigabyte GTX970 Windforce OC 4GB @1429mhz   SSD: Sandisk X110 256gb    Case: Be Quiet Silent Base 800 Windowed  PSU: EVGA 850w g2  Peripherals : Corsair K70 w/Red Switches , Logitech G502 , Samsung SyncMaster S22B300 (1920x1080) , Ttesports Shock one headset , Phone : HTC one A9

between those choices I'd go with a single 780.

but if it were me just for the sake of sexiness I'd slap in x2 780 :)

Live your life like a dream.