Looking for New Headphones

I am a senior in high school and am looking to upgrade to better over ear headphones. I have had the same terrible Skullcandy Skullcrushers for 5 years now, and really want something better. So I made a deal with my parents that if I got good grades this marking period they would help pay for new headphones. Initially I was looking at the Sennheiser HD8 DJ because of how much Linus loved them, but after more research I have found that many people do not. So are those headphones right for me or should I go with something else? I am looking for something closed back because I want good noise isolation and about $400 or less. I'm not a huge games so it shouldn't have a mic. Would be running them from a cheap MSI motherboard but may upgrade to add an Objective 2 amp+dac at some point in the future (or I could spend less on headphones now and get an amp+dac also). I also have an HTC One M7 but don't predict having to use that to drive headphones all that much. I listen to a wide variety of music, with an emphasis on classic rock and jazz. I also watch a lot of movies on my computer, so they would have to be good for those. While I sometimes like bass-heavy music (I am a millennial after all) I rarely if ever listen to dubstep or house music. While I usually just listen to Spotify or MP3s, I am interested in upgrading to higher quality files in the future (i had no real incentive to before because I couldn't hear the difference on my Skullcrushers). It is also fairly important to me that they have a detachable cable and/or a cable running to only one ear. I absolutely love the look and durability of the HD8 DJs but would be willing to give that up for better sound quality. 

Thanks!

-A budding audiophile

Quick note on higher quality audio files. If a file is encoded properly to a 320kbps MP3 file, 99% of people cannot hear a difference. Don't be too surprised if your ears can't tell them apart from a lossless file, nothing is wrong with you or your ears.

I like the HD650 which you can get for $360 used on Amazon right now (although you might be able to find a better deal if you wait... this one is an open-box, basically like-new condition). It's an open headphone, so if you listen to music in a very noisy environment they are not good. Them being open gives a bigger soundstage, a more spacious sound. These particular headphones have somewhat of a ressessed treble, so it's a more laid-back sound signature I would say. It doesn't get super in your face with details for clarity. It's still there though. They have removable cables. An amp is probably not necessary... but it's really hard to say because I don't have any measurements for any motherboard's onboard amp because mobo vendors are retarded. However, the amp required should cost no more than $140, like the O2. The improvement you will hear from Odac vs onboard is likely small unless your mobo is old. However, I find it very cool personally to own an amp/dac combo (o2/odac). That way you know for sure you have enough power for whatever you want and that the sound won't get any more accurate than that, even if it's a bit overkill sometimes. In a good way IMO.

Oh, and they look a little derpy because they were based on the HD600s which are like... early 90s. So... aesthetics has gone a ways since then. However, they have stood the test of time and today people still upgrade to them... If you're looking for HD650s but with more up-front treble and a bit less bass, the HD600s are a little bit cheaper and might be what you want. Both should be OK on your cell phone. Stop trying to crank them up to 100+db on your cell phone and you'll probably be fine (besides, your ears will thank you, what use is an audiophile with gimped ears?).

A cheaper option would be DT-880. The 770 or 990 have a more 'exciting' sound signature, in that it hypes the highs and the lows a whole freakin' lot, but the added treble can get a bit much and I think the HD650 is an all-around winner. The DT-880 is a bit more balanced than 770 or 990, and these can go down to like $190 used. So... go this way, you can save quite a bit of cash.

Finally, another option I like is the Mad Dog. It's got some elevated bass/highs, but definitely not extreme. They run $300, the drawback is you cannot buy it from Amazon (so no cheap used Mad Dogs for you!), you will have to buy it from Headfi or Mr. Speakers website or someplace like that. I got the sit down with those and I also feel that the Mad Dog represents a good value for the money. Some claim that MayflowerElectronics' own modified Fostek headphones sound similar for a slightly lower price, but I haven't tried those. The Mad Dogs are closed headphones unlike the HD650s, so they block out outside noise a bit better. The seal can make for more and better bass than HD650 IMO.

The HD650 has replaceable cable and so does the Mad Dog. The DT880 I believe does not.

So those three are my favorites.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Get the new Sennheiser Urbanite XL, and then write us a review. :D

They should be much better for the general populous than the DJ's.

Quick note on higher quality audio files. If a file is encoded properly to a 320kbps MP3 file, 99% of people cannot hear a difference. Don't be too surprised if your ears can't tell them apart from a lossless file, nothing is wrong with you or your ears.

I like the HD650 which you can get for $360 used on Amazon right now (although you might be able to find a better deal if you wait... this one is an open-box, basically like-new condition). It's an open headphone, so if you listen to music in a very noisy environment they are not good. Them being open gives a bigger soundstage, a more spacious sound. These particular headphones have somewhat of a ressessed treble, so it's a more laid-back sound signature I would say. It doesn't get super in your face with details for clarity. It's still there though. They have removable cables. An amp is probably not necessary... but it's really hard to say because I don't have any measurements for any motherboard's onboard amp because mobo vendors are retarded. However, the amp required should cost no more than $140, like the O2. The improvement you will hear from Odac vs onboard is likely small unless your mobo is old. However, I find it very cool personally to own an amp/dac combo (o2/odac). That way you know for sure you have enough power for whatever you want and that the sound won't get any more accurate than that, even if it's a bit overkill sometimes. In a good way IMO.

Oh, and they look a little derpy because they were based on the HD600s which are like... early 90s. So... aesthetics has gone a ways since then. However, they have stood the test of time and today people still upgrade to them... If you're looking for HD650s but with more up-front treble and a bit less bass, the HD600s are a little bit cheaper and might be what you want. Both should be OK on your cell phone. Stop trying to crank them up to 100+db on your cell phone and you'll probably be fine (besides, your ears will thank you, what use is an audiophile with gimped ears?).

A cheaper option would be DT-880. The 770 or 990 have a more 'exciting' sound signature, in that it hypes the highs and the lows a whole freakin' lot, but the added treble can get a bit much and I think the HD650 is an all-around winner. The DT-880 is a bit more balanced than 770 or 990, and these can go down to like $190 used. So... go this way, you can save quite a bit of cash.

Finally, another option I like is the Mad Dog. It's got some elevated bass/highs, but definitely not extreme. They run $300, the drawback is you cannot buy it from Amazon (so no cheap used Mad Dogs for you!), you will have to buy it from Headfi or Mr. Speakers website or someplace like that. I got the sit down with those and I also feel that the Mad Dog represents a good value for the money. Some claim that MayflowerElectronics' own modified Fostek headphones sound similar for a slightly lower price, but I haven't tried those. The Mad Dogs are closed headphones unlike the HD650s, so they block out outside noise a bit better. The seal can make for more and better bass than HD650 IMO.

The HD650 has replaceable cable and so does the Mad Dog. The DT880 I believe does not.

So those three are my favorites.

thanks for the informative post. Ya, I would ideally like open headphones and would love the Sennheiser HD 600/650s or maybe even HiHiMan HE-400s but I am worried about sound isolation. I will be in college next year, and don't want to disturb my roommate with my music. Plus, it would be really nice to block out loud people if I need to study or something. While I wouldn't say active noise cancellation isn't an necessity, the Bose Quiet Comfort 25s are in my price range and have gotten pretty good reviews. Thoughts?

thanks for the informative post. Ya, I would ideally like open headphones and would love the Sennheiser HD 600/650s or maybe even HiHiMan HE-400s but I am worried about sound isolation. I will be in college next year, and don't want to disturb my roommate with my music. Plus, it would be really nice to block out loud people if I need to study or something. While I wouldn't say active noise cancellation isn't an necessity, the Bose Quiet Comfort 25s are in my price range and have gotten pretty good reviews. Thoughts?

If you're really into sound isolation, an in ear will probably do even better than the Bose and without requiring batteries. I know less about in-ears though at that price range. I have not tried the QC 25s because they are a pretty new product. The HE400s can get a bit heavy/clunky and have a dip at 4-5khz. (They are also harder to drive, I'm unsure if they'll do well on a cell phone. maybe if you crank volume to max.) Typically with open headphones the worry is that other people will annoy you, not the other way around. If you're listening loudly enough to bother other people, you are hurting your ears. Unless you're in the school library and it's one of those really silent libraries with people nearby, it's not a problem. In my college it's not too crowded, so you can usually find some place where you are kindda alone, without people sitting right next to you. You know, in case the guy next to you is in a bitchy mood. For a dorm room your noise won't annoy others. And about other people bothering you, that partially depends on how loudly you listen to music. Think of it this way... If you took your speakers to your dorm and played music at 80db, would you be annoyed by somebody talking (or watching TV, etc) nearby? The music you'll listening to will help drown out the sound outside. Of course, for studying purposes, some people have lower tolerances to outside noise before they lose concentration.

I am thinking of doing a video or test in the future where I measure and record the volume of sound leakage on my open headphones.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Actually, the audiophile community will tell you that Bose tends to be overpriced, and that active noise cancellation takes away from the overall quality of the sound. To be honest, if you got a good pair of closed headphones (like the Mad Dogs, which are some of the best in this regard), you'll barely be able to hear anybody without music playing, and you can't hear anything other than the music when you're listening to something. Seriously. If a band of ninjas decided to take you out, you wouldn't know until it was too late. I've used the Mad Dogs (and reviewed them), and can attest to their lack of leakage.

On the other hand, while open headphones have better soundstage and clarity, they leak a lot. As in, if you're going to have roommates you simply cannot use open headphones unless they're okay with hearing your music.

So really it's back to what you want. The HD8 DJ are a really nice headphone, you can't really go wrong with Sennheiser. However, something like the Mad Dogs (which cost much less) could get the job done just as well. One thing to point out though is that the Dogs (and probably the HD8 DJ too) really benefit from proper amping, so if you upgrade to one later on you'll definitely see a difference in sound quality. I'd recommend either the Schiit Magni/Modi (clean solid state amp), the Schiit Vali/Modi (for that warm tube sound), the newly released Schiit Fulla (not out yet, but it's an $80 amp.dac), or the O2+ODAC (as Linus said, it sounds like that Magni/Modi but costs more).

Last thing, if you're looking into IEMs (for sound isolation), check out the RHA T10i. It's brand new, and going to be released in mid-November at $200 USD. I had a chance to demo them, and they sound absolutely incredible for the price. I'm going to be picking up a pair myself as soon as possible.

i have the bose but i don't use them that much because while the noise cancellation is really good,  they are not very good for when you don't need the noise cancellation. The problem with the noise cancellation for me is that i can't use them for too long or else i get a headache, but not everyone does.

The HE400s can get a bit heavy/clunky and have a dip at 4-5khz. (They are also harder to drive, I'm unsure if they'll do well on a cell phone. maybe if you crank volume to max.)

Having HE400's myself I can tell you that they don't get loud enough on my phone (iPhone 5) to really enjoy listening to them. If I'm in a room that's very quiet, it's alright but not ideal.

As far as weight goes they are a bit on the heavy side, but for me it hasn't been an issue. I don't forget that I'm wearing them like I do with my HD558's but it's not distracting in any way.

Desktop - CPU Core i7 4770k - MOBO ASUS Maximus VI Hero - GPU Nvidia GTX770 - RAM 16Gb Corsair Dominator GT - PSU Corsair TX750V2 - Storage OCZ Vertex III 120Gb - Case Fractal Design Arc Midi R2

unRAID - CPU Phenom X6 1090T - MOBO ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R1 - RAM 16Gb Kingston ECC - PSU EVGA 650G1 - Storage 5x3TB WD Red - Case NZXT Source 210

Mr. Speakers, MoonAudio,and The Cable Company offer 15 or 30 day money back guarantees, so I plan to buy a few headphones and test them out for a week or two before picking one. I think my current short list is the Sennheiser HD8 DJs, AKG K550, Mad Dog Pros, and maybe the Beyerdynamic T70p, Audio Technica ATH-A900X and Denon AH-D 600. Also, I think I will purchase the Fiio E10k or maybe Shiit Stack and some high quality recordings of albums I know well for testing the headphones.