Very specific wishlist for Headphones

Misanthrope

Hi guys so I'd like a bit of help on headphones because I have a very specific list (well maybe not that much when it comes to technical details but for what I need) and price point though if what I'm looking for is not doable in my price range of course I'll save up.

Here's the list

-Noise isolation/Noise cancelling: This is the main feature I want. Background is that I have very sensitive ears and cannot tolerate high volumes. I also need to use a headset at work for 8 hours of the day so any ear ache is out of the question. So just cranking up volume isn't a solution, I need good noise isolation, enough to block out really noisy streets while commuting so I can keep my volume reasonable cause right now all my in-ear thingies can get loud but it hurts almost immediately

-Detachable cable/VERY durable cable: I seriously go through a pair of headphones every 3 months and I'm getting tired of it. I need something with a detachable 3.5 input so I can just replace that and not my headphones. If it's not detachable it needs to withstand massive pulls since I'm a pretty heavy guy and not very nimble so accidents will happen early and often

-Music, specifically metal, as the main use: I don't ever plan to use this for PC gaming (I have 5.1 speakers and much rather use those at home) and when it comes to music I'm pretty much a metalhead and sometimes listen to some rock and prog but not too often. So it's all about the mids for me. Bass I like it to be sharp and clear to hear the bass player notes but very sharp I hate booming or overpowering bass.

-Microphone not important: I plan to use this with my mobile phone but I don't care about answering calls I just want music listening, don't mind a basic microphone but don't need one

-100 to 150USD Price range: I'd hate to be using more than this and of course the lower the better but if there's just no option for nice noise isolation/canceling then I'll save up

-Sorta clean looks: This is last on the list cause is the least important but I'd prefer cleaner looks nothing too flashy. Also I'm assuming I need over-the-ear but if in-ear can do good noise cancelling I'd like that better, but very low priority as I said.

Thanks in advance for the tips

-------

Current Rig

-------

I'm not too sure about the cable but the Hyper x cloud's sounds like the way to go. 

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

Grab a Shure SE215 - it's an IEM, but has really great isolation, so you should be able to keep the volume low.

Alternatively, Beyerdynamic DT770 32 or 80 ohm (whichever is cheapest). It does not have a removable cable, but it would be fairly simple to learn how to fix it when it breaks, or mod in a removable cable jack. Could also see if there's any electrical shops near you who'd be willing to let you pay them to do it.

I'd also check out headfi.org cause they have some dedicated audiophiles that may be able to get more specific

I see how it is.

post-2468-0-73954700-1396547659.gif

I'd also check out headfi.org cause they have some dedicated audiophiles that may be able to get more specific

No.

OP Sony MDR 1R comes to mind. Used ones go for around $130 on ebay and when the cable breaks you can get a v-moda one which is basically indestructible.

No.

OP Sony MDR 1R comes to mind. Used ones go for around $130 on ebay and when the cable breaks you can get a v-moda one which is basically indestructible.

Damn, do'es mids doe:

2d84af49ed.png

Hello fellow metalhead! I'm gonna go ahead and agree with ShearMe on the SE215, althought I haven't tried it. If you don't want in-ears, you can take a look at those Sony MDR-1R's recommended earlier here, and I recommend you take a look at the CHC Silverado's. I use them myself on pretty much a day to day base, when I am out walking to the store or whatever.

Pros: very interesting sound, as they are made of like 90% metal they have a very cool sound, fits well with straight up rock and heavy metal, I can't really explain, but I can guide you to ShearMe's review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/94057-review-california-headphone-company-silverado/ where he talks about it. They do have a bit of a bass boost, but it's not bad. certainly much better than my friends' Beats Pro. The soundstage is also very limited, but I find that fun for metal, especially thrash metal as the guitars get right up in your face.

They isolate VERY nicely, I used them for drumming until I had to move to go back to school and can't have my drums here Q_Q

they are very comfortable, although sometimes I need to stretch them out, but I have a larger head than most. They are on an amazing offer still.

cons: Cable is.. meh. it IS replacable, but you need the exact cable from them unless you are a magician and can find a cable that works, as they use some weird setup for it. it's thin, very light, and seems durable enough, but said weird cable setup is... a little unsettling for me at times, as it will probably be a bit of a hassle getting a new cable all the way to Norway.

They get super hot after a while due to the amazing leather pads. the pads aren't anything like what they look like in the pics on amazon though, I've got the exact ones ShearMe reviewed and they are very comfortable.

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

lol all of you, i already found ( and have ) the thing OP wish for, its the Sennheiser HD380 pro.
it fits all your bill :)

When 2 things meet each other, Quantum stuff happens.

Obviously you're just not "dedicated" enough to match the headfi guys :rolleyes:

It just tears me up inside.

post-2468-0-77597500-1410382155.gif