Help with apparently dead onboard audio?

chipsndip104

Hey all,

Just need some help with my computers audio that appears to be dead. No sound is coming out of any jacks and I've tried my speakers and headphones on different devices and they worked perfectly without a hitch, my audio has been acting up for a while now but I didn't think anything of it and now it seems to be dead... Just wondering if I missed anything or didn't try something, all ideas are welcome as I'd rather not have to buy a sound card to get sound again. Is there a driver issue I can solve or something  :blink: I'm a bit of a noob in terms of windows audio (more of a casual user myself).

My audio is:

ASUS Crosshair V Formula Z

A pair of ancient gateway speakers (confirmed working)

Sony MDR-XB500s (Also confirmed working)

Specs: CPU: FX 8350 MOBO: Crosshair V Formula-Z RAM: 2x4GB Kingston HyperX Beast 1600Mhz GPU: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce GHz Edition PSU: Corsair CX750M Case: Corsair 750D Storage: Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB + WD 2TB Green + WD 200GB Black (non-functional/to take up space) Monitor: ASUS PB238Q Upgrade Plans Herehttp://pcpartpicker.com/user/chipsndip104/saved/3AAt

Hey all,

Just need some help with my computers audio that appears to be dead. No sound is coming out of any jacks and I've tried my speakers and headphones on different devices and they worked perfectly without a hitch, my audio has been acting up for a while now but I didn't think anything of it and now it seems to be dead... Just wondering if I missed anything or didn't try something, all ideas are welcome as I'd rather not have to buy a sound card to get sound again. Is there a driver issue I can solve or something  :blink: I'm a bit of a noob in terms of windows audio (more of a casual user myself).

My audio is:

ASUS Crosshair V Formula Z

A pair of ancient gateway speakers (confirmed working)

Sony MDR-XB500s (Also confirmed working)

Happened to me a few months ago. Moved my office (and my PC, of course), and the mobo started acting up. First the audio is dead. The digital VU meter still give readings, but no sounds at all. Then my USB ports started to give crazy electricity, frying a few of my mouse (there was a short or something, I think). Ended up getting a new mobo after all.

As for the audio, I ended up getting a Xonar DG (before I bought a new mobo). It's cheap and does the job, and that's all I need. Later on, sold the DG anyway. 

Happened to me a few months ago. Moved my office (and my PC, of course), and the mobo started acting up. First the audio is dead. The digital VU meter still give readings, but no sounds at all. Then my USB ports started to give crazy electricity, frying a few of my mouse (there was a short or something, I think). Ended up getting a new mobo after all.

As for the audio, I ended up getting a Xonar DG (before I bought a new mobo). It's cheap and does the job, and that's all I need. Later on, sold the DG anyway.

Okay I think Ill RMA the board. I've been moving around my PC a fair bit in the last few weeks and I don't want to take any chances.

Specs: CPU: FX 8350 MOBO: Crosshair V Formula-Z RAM: 2x4GB Kingston HyperX Beast 1600Mhz GPU: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce GHz Edition PSU: Corsair CX750M Case: Corsair 750D Storage: Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB + WD 2TB Green + WD 200GB Black (non-functional/to take up space) Monitor: ASUS PB238Q Upgrade Plans Herehttp://pcpartpicker.com/user/chipsndip104/saved/3AAt