Thoughts on a new build? Also Watercooling or no?

dragonite400

Hey guys, so yeah the title pretty much says it all haha, I would absolutely love some advice on what I should do as this will be the first desktop I ever build :).

My budget is, well, I'm not too sure what it is, I'd like to not let it get too expensive, so probably 1.5-2k would be great, although I'd be willing to hit 2.5k but certainly no more.

As for my location I'm an aussie, and that's one of the main things I'm thinking about with the whole watercooling deal, like most of the year I doubt I'd need it, winters cool, spring and autumn are pretty much fine in terms of temperatures, although when it his Summer, man does it heat up, some days hit 40C or even higher, which umm for Americans is like 104F or so, that doesn't happen every day in summer, but a lot of the time its hitting 30C which is still pretty hot, and I don't want my build to overheat and crap happen to it, so yeah whats your guys' thoughts on watercooling? and if so, how much watercooling?

The aim is mainly for gaming, perhaps video editing in the near future, I also don't want to have to upgrade anytime soon. It'll be hardcore gaming more or less, and lots of it, Wildstar, Minecraft, League of legends, Dishonoured, Rust, DayZ, Skyrim, and a bunch others.

I'll start with one monitor, probably bump it up to two within a year, I'll just see how it goes and how I feel.

Yeah I'll need peripherals, I have no idea about what mouse I should get, although with keyboard I'm pretty happy with the DeathStalker Expert I think it is, the one with backlit keys, it's around $75, a bit costlier than I'd realllllly like, but it's flat (I've had laptops all my life, so it's similar) and I can see the keys in the dark.

And the reason I'm upgrading is because as I've said I've used laptops all my life, and I'd love to be able to hit up some of the heavier games without crap tonnes of lag hah or at least with some games that I can play on low low settings, at least then I'd be able to play them on high and enjoy em that bit more ^_^.

I currently have a build set out, like this is what I'm thinking so far, some of it is a bit overkill, but as I said I'm planning on not needing to upgrade it for a while.

Intel® Core™ i5 4690K Processor $269
Corsair Hydro Series H100i CPU Cooler $149
ASRock Z97 Extreme4 Motherboard $179
Galaxy GeForce GTX 780 Hall Of Fame Super OC 3GB $549
Kingston Hyper X Fury HX318C10FBK2/16 16GB (2x8GB) Black $185
Samsung 840 EVO Series 250GB SSD $139
Seagate Barracuda 2TB ST2000DM001 $95
Antec EA-550 Platinum Power Supply $119
NZXT Phantom 820 Case Matte Black $255
Microsoft Windows 8.1 64bit OEM $115

[one thing I'm definitely fine to reconsider would be the case, pretty overkill, it looks great and breathes great, but costs a tonne for a case hah so yeah, cheers]

If anyones willing to help after reading all this, thank you so very much, as I know I wrote a lot, thank you greatly!!!!!! I hope you have a wonderful day :D

MJ

Welcome to the forums @dragonite400. There's some parts that you might want to swap out like the case, gpu and some other stuff. Going to post a build in a jiff. :)

EDIT: Btw, do you need an OS?

My Current PC Codename: Scrapper

Spoiler

Intel i5-3570 | Some LGA 1155 MOBO Some Generic DDR3 8GB 1600Mhz | PowerColor RX 560 2GB | Recycled HP Case Crucial MX100 128GB 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM | Some Generic 500w PSU | Intel Stock Cooler

What about going for an Asus Strix GTX 980 OC ? check out some of the reviews and benchmarks the 980 has the pants down of the 780

What about a NZXT H440 case I think they look amazing... :) 

IMG_20140228_074337_zpsa558c14a.jpg

Ryzen 9 7900X

Asrock X670E PG Lightning 

32GB G.Skill 6000mhz DDR5

1TB Samsung 990 Pro 

Rdna 2 iGPU 

Wouldn't go with such an expensive case. I have a 900D and I regret getting it, it's just not worth it.

Anyway, here's a build, I recommend acquiring windows "differently";

EDIT: Woops! I forgot to add a harddrive! You can probably substitute half the SSD for a 2TB HDD and maybe be about $10-20 over budget.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($234.95 @ OutletPC)

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($74.99 @ NCIX US)

Motherboard: MSI Z97-G55 SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($116.99 @ Amazon)

Memory: Team Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($68.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($128.99 @ Amazon)

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($349.99 @ Amazon)

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($349.99 @ Amazon)

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ NCIX US)

Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ NCIX US)

Total: $1474.87

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-13 06:53 EDT-0400

Overpriced by $85 but it's totally worth it.(We can still lessen the price by swapping out the peripherals and monitor but the components are set(but I think we can still change the SSD :))) You can also opt to remove one GPU 1st then upgrade your CPU(i7-4790k) and probably the RAM(16GB) and SSD(250/256GB)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($279.00 @ PCCaseGear)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 280L 122.5 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($125.50 @ Centre Com)
Motherboard: MSI Z97-G55 SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($178.50 @ Centre Com)
Memory: Kingston Fury Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($95.00 @ Centre Com)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($82.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($97.00 @ Centre Com)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($469.00 @ Centre Com)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($469.00 @ Centre Com)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case  ($119.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($149.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Monitor: Asus MX279H 27.0" Monitor  ($375.00 @ Centre Com)
Keyboard: Ducky DK2108-BUSLLA Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($83.00 @ MechKB)
Mouse: SteelSeries Rival Wired Optical Mouse  ($64.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Total: $2585.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-13 22:06 EST+1100

Spoiler

Intel i5-3570 | Some LGA 1155 MOBO Some Generic DDR3 8GB 1600Mhz | PowerColor RX 560 2GB | Recycled HP Case Crucial MX100 128GB 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM | Some Generic 500w PSU | Intel Stock Cooler

Woah you guys responded fast, I didn't really expect so many people to be willing to help me out so fast! You guys are awesome :D

@MrBaker89 Cheers man for letting me know haha I'm sure the 980 takes out the 780 easily hah, but I suppose I just don't want to be spending toooo much on GPU's, like the 780 should do me pretty good for hopefully a fair bit of the forseeable future, and as for the case, I actually also had my eye on it haha and I totally agree it looks great and seems great, the only downside is the lack of airflow it gets, unless of course you take off the front/top, then theres barely any real good available airflow, but thank you so much for letting me know :)

@FearMe Yeah I totally agree, I'll definitely downsize the case, but to what I'm not certain, I'll be checking out reviews and stuff of everything you gave me though, especially the case, thank you for that, hahaha yeah I'll keep my mind open for the 'different way' xP It would certainly save some cash, actually really your whole build would save me a whole bunch of cash, definitely going to help me downsize I think, thank you again :)

@vern021 thanks so much man for such a tank build and for welcoming to the forums :) Yeah I'll be needing Windows for my operating system, I've considered getting freeware OS' and whatnot, but considering some of the games I play, they won't accept other OS's apart from Windows and Mac. and Mac isn't really my style, too heavily based around editing and whatnot. As for now I'll be sticking with just a singular GPU as going duo just costs a tonne and singular still gives great benchmarks, but seeing as you and Fearme already mentioned it I will think about it for future builds.

I'm definitely gonna be taking everything you all said into planning and theory and whatnot, but thank you all so so very much! :D

@dragonite400 you can always try dual OS if you really want to but take note that some components need to be compatible. Unfortunately, I don't know much about hackintosh builds but somebody in the forums can easily give some advise on what to get. ;)

Spoiler

@dragonite400 the 980 is actually cheaper than the 780 especially the Asus strix model :)

No problem with the help dude anytime I can impart some for of wisdom I will try :)

Ryzen 9 7900X

1TB Samsung 990 Pro 

Rdna 2 iGPU 

Woah you guys responded fast, I didn't really expect so many people to be willing to help me out so fast! You guys are awesome :D

@MrBaker89 Cheers man for letting me know haha I'm sure the 980 takes out the 780 easily hah, but I suppose I just don't want to be spending toooo much on GPU's, like the 780 should do me pretty good for hopefully a fair bit of the forseeable future, and as for the case, I actually also had my eye on it haha and I totally agree it looks great and seems great, the only downside is the lack of airflow it gets, unless of course you take off the front/top, then theres barely any real good available airflow, but thank you so much for letting me know :)

@FearMe Yeah I totally agree, I'll definitely downsize the case, but to what I'm not certain, I'll be checking out reviews and stuff of everything you gave me though, especially the case, thank you for that, hahaha yeah I'll keep my mind open for the 'different way' xP It would certainly save some cash, actually really your whole build would save me a whole bunch of cash, definitely going to help me downsize I think, thank you again :)

@vern021 thanks so much man for such a tank build and for welcoming to the forums :) Yeah I'll be needing Windows for my operating system, I've considered getting freeware OS' and whatnot, but considering some of the games I play, they won't accept other OS's apart from Windows and Mac. and Mac isn't really my style, too heavily based around editing and whatnot. As for now I'll be sticking with just a singular GPU as going duo just costs a tonne and singular still gives great benchmarks, but seeing as you and Fearme already mentioned it I will think about it for future builds.

I'm definitely gonna be taking everything you all said into planning and theory and whatnot, but thank you all so so very much! :D

I agree dude, the H440 Doesn't seem the best for airflow... I may be changing my mind one again for the case...

Ryzen 9 7900X

1TB Samsung 990 Pro 

Rdna 2 iGPU 

@vern021 Oh, yeah, I totally forgot about dual OS-ing, that ain't too bad an idea haha, but yes you're completely right, some stuff would need to be compatible, cheers though for the idea, didn't even come across my mind xD

@MrBaker89 Dude you totally have to link me the cheaper 980 haha, that'd be awesome xD So far I can't see any 980's that are cheaper, they're all at least 200-300 above the 780, but that'd be sick if you could C:

Ryzen 9 7900X

1TB Samsung 990 Pro 

Rdna 2 iGPU 

Bugger the AIO cooler!

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($279.00 @ Centre Com) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($89.00 @ Mwave Australia) 
Motherboard: MSI Z97-G55 SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($178.50 @ Centre Com) 
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($139.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($97.00 @ Centre Com) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card  ($489.00 @ Mwave Australia) 
Case: Zalman Z3 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.00 @ Mwave Australia) 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($109.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer  ($19.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($115.00 @ Centre Com) 
Monitor: AOC E2460SD 60Hz 24.0" Monitor  ($165.00 @ Mwave Australia) 
Case Fan: BitFenix Spectre LED 43.5 CFM 120mm  Fan  ($9.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Keyboard: Ducky DK2108-BUSLLA Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($83.00 @ MechKB) 
Mouse: SteelSeries Rival Wired Optical Mouse  ($64.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Total: $1988.50
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-14 20:55 EST+1100

Your price is fantastically generous, so I decided to be so too. This spec will do the biz like you want it to, and has the option SLI with a second 970 at some point in the future. To that end, it has a 750w psu, good stuff. Good airflow in the case, which will help the star of the show, the Noctua NH-D14. This was the daddy of all monster heatsinks, but even lacking that title, its still a cool mofo. Case is cheap but good for all that, and an extra fan to put at the front. Nice mech keyboard with Cherry MX Browns. Right handed gaming mouse. 24'' 1080 monitor (if you want a larger monitor, I would recommend a 27'' 1440 monitor but that's damned expensive). Well sized and reputable SSD and HDD. Only 8gb of RAM, but you can increase that if you want. Getting 2 kits of those (4 dimms) works out cheaper than most other kits.