Is it worth getting a 120Hz or 144Hz monitor?

Benefitz

Hello everyone.

I have an AMD Radeon HD 7850 with a 60Hz Asus panel (Not sure about specifications) and I'm looking on getting a new, 120Hz (or 144Hz) monitor instead.

It seems that 144Hz monitors are cheaper than 120Hz for some reason.

This is the one I'm looking at currently (Asus VG248QE)

I have a few questions: 

• Will my GPU be able to run a 120 or 144Hz monitor (I'm talking framerate here)

• Should I have both my 60Hz and my new monitor connected at the same time, so I have 2 monitors?

• What cable do I connect my new 120/144Hz monitor with? I hear that HDMI limits to 60Hz

• Any suggestions on which monitor I should buy?

I might be upgrading my GPU to a GTX 770 soon, which will help out with the framerate, especially if I'm going to have both monitors connected.

You most defiantly can't reach 120 FPS with a 7850. With a 770 you might reach 120 FPS if you turn the settings in the game to low or you're playing a easy to run game like CS:GO.

To take advantage of a 120hz+ monitor in modern games you either need two 770s or one 980. If you can't spend that much money on GPUs you should instead get a nice IPS monitor like the Dell U2414H.

worth it?

do you play competitive?

Java Programmer, AMD Fanboy and soon to be casemodder

You should be able to run @ 144 FPS with a 770 if you turn down all settings low enough...

You should get a 970 though.

Is it worth the extra 100 bucks for a 970?

And will the 970 be able to run @ 144 FPS on ultra graphics?

Is it worth the extra 100 bucks for a 970?

And will the 970 be able to run @ 144 FPS on ultra graphics?

Depends on what games you play. In harder to run games: no.

You most defiantly can't reach 120 FPS with a 7850. With a 770 you might reach 120 FPS if you turn the settings in the game to low or you're playing a easy to run game like CS:GO.

To take advantage of a 120hz+ monitor in modern games you either need two 770s or one 980. If you can't spend that much money on GPUs you should instead get a nice IPS monitor like the Dell U2414H.

Will one GTX 970 be sufficient for a 120hz + monitor?

EDIT: Oh, you just answered it 2 seconds before I posted

In my opinion, that is a great monitor for gaming & streaming. You will probobly not reach 120FPS( I would guess something around 60FPS). 

By the way, you connect your monitor with either HDMI or VGA.

This Is A Signature

Depends on what games you play. In harder to run games: no.

Okay, So the only way I can benefit from  a 120hz + monitor on high/ultra graphics will be to spend $500 on a 980 or 2x 770s?

Just confirming.

Yes the 120hz is worth it, after you get used to the 144/120hz monitor, 60hz will look choppy.

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k | Mootherboard: ASUS P8z68v-Pro | GPU: EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB (4GBx2) 1600mhz | PSU: Corsair AX760 | STORAGE: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB | COOLER: Noctua NH-C14 | CASE: Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl Black | Operating SystemWindows 7 Professional 64-bit |

Okay, So the only way I can benefit from  a 120hz + monitor on high/ultra graphics will be to spend $500 on a 980 or 2x 770s?

Just confirming.

All depends on what games you play, so what games are you playing/planning to play?

No dont bother unless the games you play is LoL and Minecraft no single gpu will do 120/144FPS in most games.You will need a dual gpu setup dual 7850,dual gtx 970/980 dual r9 290/x etc.

Conclusion dont bother.

If you wanna find out you dont really have to ask me cause im stupid,just run msi afterburner and fraps in the games you play at the settings you play max or medium or whatever and run FRAPS benchmark and also monitor realtime using msi afterburner if you get 100 + fps constant in the games you play then go ahead buy whatever you want.

UNLESS you plan to run on 1360x768 at medium low settings @120hz/144hz then you could get away with 1 single gpu,but sacrifice resolution and game quality for a few more FPS?

120hz could be an enjoyable experience,but how do you know you personally will notice a difference?some people do but what about you maybe dual-gpu 120/144hz monitor is not worth for you.When you buy a gpu or cpu or ram you look at benchmarks you know thats what you want/thats what you will get,unless you tried such a monitor and you know thats exactly what you want i wouldnt bother.

Dual gpu setup FTW tough even on 60hz panel hehehehe,CRANK that SH#T UP!!

Yes the 120hz is worth it, after you get used to the 144/120hz monitor, 60hz will look choppy.

I have a 120hz monitor and I'm not that happy with it; I barely notice the difference between 60hz and 120hz, I only really notice it if I have V-sync on.

I have a 120hz monitor and I'm not that happy with it; I barely notice the difference between 60hz and 120hz, I only really notice it if I have V-sync on.

Yes but do you really get constant 120FPS without huge drops thats the critical question.Have you even properly tested to see?

I doubt you do,you need at least dual-GPU high end gpu for that.

Yes but do you really get constant 120FPS without huge drops thats the critical question.Have you even properly tested to see?

I doubt you do,you need at least dual-GPU high end gpu for that.

I have 2 670s and when I'm playing Payday 2 and Just Cause 2 I get a constant 120FPS and lately Just Cause 2 doesn't like SLI for some reason so now it's running at around 60FPS and I don't really notice the difference to 120FPS.

All depends on what games you play, so what games are you playing/planning to play?

BF4, Crysis games, LoL, Counter Strike games, and other high end games when they are released like Tom Clancy's The Division

Ermmm troll or just misinformed? 

It wasn't a troll and defently not misinformed. In the orginal post you asked for with cable you connect with.

I have a few questions: 

• Will my GPU be able to run a 120 or 144Hz monitor (I'm talking framerate here)

• Should I have both my 60Hz and my new monitor connected at the same time, so I have 2 monitors?

• What cable do I connect my new 120/144Hz monitor with? I hear that HDMI limits to 60Hz

Anything else you'd like to add?

This Is A Signature

Like others have said, even a 770 won't be enough to get you well over 60 fps on many of the more demanding games unless you turn down details.

I wouldn't ever go with 120 fps + low quality settings + TN panel.

Give me 60 fps + high quality settings + IPS or PLS.

Oneplus 6 | Sony 55" X900F . Lenovo Y540 17" 144Hz RTX 2060 . i7 9750h. 

Audio-GD DAC-19MK3 > Schiit Lyr 2 + > FOSTEX TH900 . Sony XBA-Z5

No dont bother unless the games you play is LoL and Minecraft no single gpu will do 120/144FPS in most games.You will need a dual gpu setup dual 7850,dual gtx 970/980 dual r9 290/x etc.

Conclusion dont bother.

If you wanna find out you dont really have to ask me cause im stupid,just run msi afterburner and fraps in the games you play at the settings you play max or medium or whatever and run FRAPS benchmark and also monitor realtime using msi afterburner if you get 100 + fps constant in the games you play then go ahead buy whatever you want.

UNLESS you plan to run on 1360x768 at medium low settings @120hz/144hz then you could get away with 1 single gpu,but sacrifice resolution and game quality for a few more FPS?

120hz could be an enjoyable experience,but how do you know you personally will notice a difference?some people do but what about you maybe dual-gpu 120/144hz monitor is not worth for you.When you buy a gpu or cpu or ram you look at benchmarks you know thats what you want/thats what you will get,unless you tried such a monitor and you know thats exactly what you want i wouldnt bother.

Dual gpu setup FTW tough even on 60hz panel hehehehe,CRANK that SH#T UP!!

No single gpu will run 120 fps in most games?

Please, that is bullshit.

CPU: i7 - 2600kGPU: GTX 1070Mobo: intel somethingRAM: Corsair XMS3 @1600Mhz (8GB)SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB. HDD: WD Green 1TB . Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Monitors: LG 25UM65-P and Benq 2200HD Keyboard: Corsair vengeance K70 FPS Red switch. Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core. Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

It wasn't a troll and defently not misinformed. In the orginal post you asked for with cable you connect with.

I have a few questions: 

Anything else you'd like to add?

Annnnnnnd? You told him to use VGA of all things? -_- You ARE misinformed. 

If my words are bullshit then so are these scores http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_geforce_gtx_780_ti_matrix_review,18.html

Only one game scores averages even over the 120 spec at 1080p thats tomb raider,and thats exactly what i said no single gpu can run MOST games at constant 120fps@1080p,tomb raider being one of the few exceptions.

If you want to talk about lowering resolution and graphic options to obain 120fps then we could all run 120fps then and we wouldn't be here arguing.

If those scores are bullshit ill stop reading any tech from now on since its all pointless anyway right?

Just a note,in my opinion if your game runs at 70-80 fps that doesnt mean youll notice much difference hell i dont even know if 120hz is big difference,but is certainly not worth investing without dual-gpu if all you get is lousy 10-20 fps extra.Anyway you should also notice benefit in controls latency just like going from 30fps to 60 but probably not as big from 60 to 120.

Also just because you have 120hz monitor it doesnt mean you will get any benefit regardless of your gpu performance,ingame your gpu must produce close to 120FPS+ to get full benefit else its a waste.

Thats my final opinion about it @OP if you cant get 100+ average on most games at max setting i think its pointless investing in a 120hz monitor,you are much better off selling that middle range 7850+ monitor cash buy a proper single gpu at least like a 970/980 /R9290/x.

As for connection im not really sure myself im not very informed either but whichever may be the gpu should support it, can only be one of these 3 > hdmi/duallink dvi or display port,all newer gpu's including 7850 supports all 3.

My ati 4870 ran cs:go and lol at 144fps @ 1080...

144hz is amazing, if you need to see exactly what is on the screen all the time (competitive fast paced gaming) then refresh rate/input lag > resolution

I don't play competitive (only for fun) and find I spend more time playing single player adventure style games so I sold my 144hz and went to 4k.

Took a while to adjust back to 60hz with input lag.

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

I know right. What is with all these people saying you need at least dual GPU's or 980 to benefit from a 120 hz monitor.

If my words are bullshit then so are these scores http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_geforce_gtx_780_ti_matrix_review,18.html

Only one game scores averages even over the 120 spec at 1080p thats tomb raider,and thats exactly what i said no single gpu can run MOST games at constant 120fps@1080p,tomb raider being one of the few exceptions.

If you want to talk about lowering resolution and graphic options to obain 120fps then we could all run 120fps then and we wouldn't be here arguing.

If those scores are bullshit ill stop reading any tech from now on since its all pointless anyway right?

Just a note,in my opinion if your game runs at 70-80 fps that doesnt mean youll notice much difference hell i dont even know if 120hz is big difference,but is certainly not worth investing without dual-gpu if all you get is lousy 10-20 fps extra.Anyway you should also notice benefit in controls latency just like going from 30fps to 60 but probably not as big from 60 to 120.

Also just because you have 120hz monitor it doesnt mean you will get any benefit regardless of your gpu performance,ingame your gpu must produce close to 120FPS+ to get full benefit else its a waste.

Thats my final opinion about it @OP if you cant get 100+ average on most games at max setting i think its pointless investing in a 120hz monitor,you are much better off selling that middle range 7850+ monitor cash buy a proper single gpu at least like a 970/980 /R9290/x.

As for connection im not really sure myself im not very informed either but whichever may be the gpu should support it, can only be one of these 3 > hdmi/duallink dvi or display port,all newer gpu's including 7850 supports all 3.

Also, if you don't even have a 120 hz monitor why are you preaching about things you have no idea about. You don't need to have a constant 120 fps to benefit from a 120 hz monitor. I have the Benq XL2420z being run by a R9 280x and I am able to have an amazing time running Tomb Raider on Ultra preset, and trust me there is a difference as I've played the game on a 60 hz AND a 120 hz. So unlike you, some of us have valid opinions.

My PC: i7 3770k @ 4.4 Ghz || Hyper 212 Evo || Intel Extreme Motherboard DZ77GA || EVGA Hybrid 980ti || Corsair Vengeance Blue 16GB || Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB || WD Black 1TB

Peripherals: Corsair K70 RGB || Sentey Pro Revolution Gaming Mouse || Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250 Ohm Headphone || Benq XL2420Z Monitor