am3+ motherboard

hey guys im looking for a bit of a better motherboard my ones good but it throttles the cpu so i can only get 4ghz out of it anyone recommend a better one that's not gonna cost me an arm and a leg?

What board do you have now? are you sure the throttle is because of the board and not the CPU getting too hot?

What CPU do you have?

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

Motherboard - ASUS m5a78l-m/usb3

CPU - AMD FX4100

yeah i googled it the cpu is fine for up to 4.6ghz as i got a bit of a better cpu cooler witch is fine for overclocking 

TBH mate I wouldn't waste money on a new board just to get the 4100 to overclock.

My CPU throttles in Prime 95 but only because my cooler isn't good enough. In everything else it's fine though..

I think you're better off waiting possibly and upgrading to an 8 core with a half decent board. Good boards are the Sabertooth, Asrock 990 Fatal1ty, Crosshair V, Asrock Extreme9 Gigabyte UD5 and so on. However, those boards are around £150 which is a total waste of money for a FX 4100. As I said, you're better off biting the bullet and going 8 core with a sufficient motherboard, otherwise you'll gain pretty much nothing.

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

I recommend you the Asus M5A99X Evo R2.0, its nice looking, its cheap, allows you to run crossfire or sli, and also I've been able to reach 4.8Ghz with my FX8320. Keep in mind that if you plan an insane oveclocking, the socket temp might get a bit high ,but nothing to be worry about, max socket is 73, mine never went over 70, even at 4.8

Mobo: Asus Maximus Impact VI Processor: Intel 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.22Vlts Memory: 2x8 GB DDR3 1866Mhz GSkill Sniper

VGA: Sapphire HD 7970 3GB OC Audio: Asus Impact Supreme FX SSD: Mushkin Chronos 120GB HDD: WD Black 500GB

Power Supply: Coolermaster V650 Semi Modular Case: Bitfenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i

TBH mate I wouldn't waste money on a new board just to get the 4100 to overclock.

My CPU throttles in Prime 95 but only because my cooler isn't good enough. In everything else it's fine though..

I think you're better off waiting possibly and upgrading to an 8 core with a half decent board. Good boards are the Sabertooth, Asrock 990 Fatal1ty, Crosshair V, Asrock Extreme9 Gigabyte UD5 and so on. However, those boards are around £150 which is a total waste of money for a FX 4100. As I said, you're better off biting the bullet and going 8 core with a sufficient motherboard, otherwise you'll gain pretty much nothing.

He could also get a nice mobo now, so he can get a good OC, and later update to some 8-core, maybe he can wait until steamroller is released.

Mobo: Asus Maximus Impact VI Processor: Intel 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.22Vlts Memory: 2x8 GB DDR3 1866Mhz GSkill Sniper

VGA: Sapphire HD 7970 3GB OC Audio: Asus Impact Supreme FX SSD: Mushkin Chronos 120GB HDD: WD Black 500GB

Power Supply: Coolermaster V650 Semi Modular Case: Bitfenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i

i guess your right its not an expensive MB or cpu so ill just leave it till something better comes along thanks

He could also get a nice mobo now, so he can get a good OC, and later update to some 8-core, maybe he can wait until steamroller is released.

Yeah that's not a terrible idea :)

The only concern I would have about that is where AMD are headed on a TDP point of view. You may find that Steamroller needs a new board just to power it up.

Yeah that's not a terrible idea :)

The only concern I would have about that is where AMD are headed on a TDP point of view. You may find that Steamroller needs a new board just to power it up.

Nice opinion. That might be true, as we saw with the first 8 cores not being supported on early boards because of the lack of power.

Well fingers crossed that it's actually lower. Mind you, with ghz playing a strong part the buggers will probably just keep clocking it up until it uses 125w haha.

What did you end up picking? I got the 4100 and cant overclock it past 4,3 since the M5A97 cant stable the vcore so no matter what i do, it gets unstable.

PC setup

Case: Fractal Define Nano S Windowed | Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty x370 Gaming-ITX/AC | CPU: Ryzen 1700 @ 3,8 GHz | GPU: Nvidia 1080 Ti Founders Edition | Ram: G.Skill Flare X @ 2933MHz | PSU: Corsair RM850

Cooling

CPU: EK Supremacy EVO | GPU: EK Block + Backplate | Rad: 2x EK-CoolStream SE 240 | Pump: EK XTOP DDC 3.2 | Res: EK-Res X3 110 | Fans: 4x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000

Misc: EK fittings | EK Ekoolant EVO | EK Duraclear tubing

Id say get a 970a g46 from msi, Its good and it won't break the bank

I say the Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 I have it and it is a great overclocker. 

XYPHER AMD FX8350 @ 4.6Ghz ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD RADEON HD 7970 @ 1140Mhz 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE 1600Mhz OCZ VERTEX 3 240GB SSD Corsair H100i 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4 CORSAIR K90 MADCATZ RAT 3 iiyama ProLite B2480HS 24"

tpbe honest i cant even get it to 4.3 so even that would be a help