best motherboard for i5 4690k

alvez

Look at these two MSI boards. You had the Z97 Gaming 3 board listed. One of these has more USB connections and the other has more SATA internal connections. 

MSI Z97S SLI Plus LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

MSI Z97 U3 Plus LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

They are in the same price range as the original board you listed. 

i kind of like the gaming 3 features, its has 6 sata connections bro and 6 usb wich is more than enough for me to be honest i only use 2 usb, my mouse and my keyboard, sometimes a usb flashdrive, but thanks tho!

anyways for the MSI Z97 GAMING 3 how many fans could i get on it ? :o

| Case: Cooler Master Elite 371 | Cpu: i5 4690K @ 4.20 GHz | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 |

| Gpu: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 | SSD: Crucial MX100 256 GB | HDD: Samsung 128GB Ram: Kingston 8GB DDR3 1333MHz | 

| Screen: Benq XL2411Z | Mouse: Logitech G 403 | Mousepad: SteelSeries QcK+ NiP Edition | Keyboard: Steelseries 6GV2 | Headset: Kingston Hyper X Cloud |

That depends on which motherboard exactly you're looking at (maker and model). The high-end ASUS boards, for example support 6-8 fans with 4 pin headers (but can also be used bei 3-pin fans). Haven't checked, but I'd think it to be very likely that lower tier boards probably have fewer options. You'd have to go and check the exact model you choose to find out. However, PWM splitters are available for a couple of Euros, so there is actually no real limit (other than noise and room in your case) to how many fans you can run.

well im going to go with the MSI Z97 GAMING 3 how many fans could i get on it ? :o

| Case: Cooler Master Elite 371 | Cpu: i5 4690K @ 4.20 GHz | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 |

| Gpu: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 | SSD: Crucial MX100 256 GB | HDD: Samsung 128GB Ram: Kingston 8GB DDR3 1333MHz | 

| Screen: Benq XL2411Z | Mouse: Logitech G 403 | Mousepad: SteelSeries QcK+ NiP Edition | Keyboard: Steelseries 6GV2 | Headset: Kingston Hyper X Cloud |

well im going to go with the MSI Z97 GAMING 3 how many fans could i get on it ? :o

As many adapters and fan pins you can find your board. If you have a power supply with lots of plugs you won't have to rely on the motherboard fan inputs. It depends mostly on your power supply. 

As many adapters and fan pins you can find your board. If you have a power supply with lots of plugs you won't have to rely on the motherboard fan inputs. It depends mostly on your power supply. 

oh ok, i have a nice psu :)

According to newegg it has 2 cpu fan headers and 3 4 pin fan headers.  You can also buy a fan controller if you want more fans but it should be enough.

i like my Gigabyte GA-Z97x - SLI and it was cheap and has nice Bios and nice overclocking software and nice fan curves on all the system fans with is about 4 + CPU

Needs Update

Maximus VII Hero.

PC : | CPU: Intel 4790K | COOLER: Corsair H105 w/ JetFlo's Push/Pull | MOBO: EVGA Z97 Classified | GPU: EVGA FTW 4GB GTX 970 X2 | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 1866Mhz 32GB | CASE: HAF Stacker 945 | PSU: Corsair AX1500i | DISPLAY: Asus MX299Q | SSD: 2 X Corsair Neutron GTX 480 GB in RAID0 | mSATA SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB | HDD: 4 X Western Digital RED 4 TB in JBOD |

All of these brands are good, but try to not get an AsRock board, they are the worst of the good motherboard manufacturers. ASUS is my personal favourite.

I partially agree, but ASRock gives you more features for a lower price but isn't necessarily the best in terms of support, website etc. But Asus is more expensive but better build quality, UI etc for the same feature set. Failure rates these days are so low it doesn't really matter. So this is what I normally do: ASRock for lower end, Gigabyte/MSI for mid range and Asus for high end

Part of the Q6600 club

Asus Z97-A

Spoiler

CPU: i7-5820k @ 4.4GHz Motherboard: Asus X99 Strix  Graphics Card: Gigabyte 980Ti G1 Gaming Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 24GB (3x 8GB) Hard Drive: 1TB WD Green SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 250GB CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W Case: Corsair 400c Mouse: Logitech G502 Keyboard: Asus Strix (mx reds)  Monitor: BenQ XL2730Z 1440p@144hz OS: Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit Laptops: Lenovo Y50-70: i7-4720HQ - 16GB RAM - 256GB SSD - GTX 960m 4GB - MacBook Pro (Early 2016) 2,0GHz i5 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD Phone: iPhone 7+