best motherboard for i5 4690k

alvez

Hello guys tomorrow im going to buy a i5 4690k and i need a good motherboard,

i was thinking to buy a msi z97 gaming 3 but some friends told me that asus is more reliable,

im looking for good motherboard suggestions, im not going to overclock now but i will in the future

max 125 €! :)

thanks  :D

| Case: Cooler Master Elite 371 | Cpu: i5 4690K @ 4.20 GHz | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 |

| Gpu: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 | SSD: Crucial MX100 256 GB | HDD: Samsung 128GB Ram: Kingston 8GB DDR3 1333MHz | 

| Screen: Benq XL2411Z | Mouse: Logitech G 403 | Mousepad: SteelSeries QcK+ NiP Edition | Keyboard: Steelseries 6GV2 | Headset: Kingston Hyper X Cloud |

Really anything from ASUS, MSI, AsRock or Gigabyte. Just find something that has the features you want and matches your color scheme.

My favorites right now are the MSI z97-G55 SLI and Asrock Z97 Extreme4.

I'm that guy with the GPD Win.

Really anything from ASUS, MSI, AsRock or Gigabyte. Just find something that has the features you want and matches your color scheme.

uhmm so if o opt for this msi will be a good choise and as reliable as the other brands ?

| Case: Cooler Master Elite 371 | Cpu: i5 4690K @ 4.20 GHz | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 |

| Gpu: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 | SSD: Crucial MX100 256 GB | HDD: Samsung 128GB Ram: Kingston 8GB DDR3 1333MHz | 

| Screen: Benq XL2411Z | Mouse: Logitech G 403 | Mousepad: SteelSeries QcK+ NiP Edition | Keyboard: Steelseries 6GV2 | Headset: Kingston Hyper X Cloud |

All of these brands are good, but try to not get an AsRock board, they are the worst of the good motherboard manufacturers. ASUS is my personal favourite.

"Maybourne, you are an idiot every day of the week; why couldn't you have just taken one day off?!" —Samantha Carter

uhmm so if o opt for this msi will be a good choise and as reliable as the other brands ?

They pretty much all have the same failure rate, so if you like what the MSI has to offer, then go for it.

All of these brands are good, but try to not get an AsRock board, they are the worst of the good motherboard manufacturers. ASUS is my personal favourite.

That's what everyone seems to say. I guess I've just gotten lucky since I've never had any problems with them.

so what would be your suggestion ?

They pretty much all have the same failure rate, so if you like what the MSI has to offer, then go for it.

ok :)

so what would be your suggestion ?

I am going to assume you are Germany for the purpose of making this easy. The price per region in Europe varies a lot so these may not be accurate + Germany has some really good, cheap computer website but I forget their names, sorry.

de.pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-gaz97xgaming3 116,89

http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/Asus-Z97-A-Intel-Z97-So-1150-Dual-Channel-DDR3-ATX-Retail_961243.html 128,85 (slightly over budget and not amazing looking but certainly good)

The MSI board you have picked is very good, and you should only wish to change it if you decide that you prefer the colour schemes of these motherboard or they have a feature you wish to have. I only prefer ASUS because I like the look of their boards.

"Maybourne, you are an idiot every day of the week; why couldn't you have just taken one day off?!" —Samantha Carter

I am going to assume you are Germany for the purpose of making this easy. The price per region in Europe varies a lot so these may not be accurate + Germany has some really good, cheap computer website but I forget their names, sorry.

de.pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-gaz97xgaming3 116,89

http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/Asus-Z97-A-Intel-Z97-So-1150-Dual-Channel-DDR3-ATX-Retail_961243.html 128,85 (slightly over budget and not amazing looking but certainly good)

The MSI board you have picked is very good, and you should only wish to change it if you decide that you prefer the colour schemes of these motherboard or they have a feature you wish to have. I only prefer ASUS because I like the look of their boards.

thanks, i like the aspect of it since all i have is red and black :) ty

Asus Z97-AR

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Asus Z97-AR

too expensive... :\

Any of the ones mentioned are good to use.  If you're looking for black and red scheme then Asus or MSI are the way to go.  Just get a good z97 board with the features you want.  Also if you're looking to overclock then make sure you do research on the board before you make the purchase. 

Any of the ones mentioned are good to use.  If you're looking for black and red scheme then Asus or MSI are the way to go.  Just get a good z97 board with the features you want.  Also if you're looking to overclock then make sure you do research on the board before you make the purchase. 

uhmm ok

the thing is ive heard people has problems with this motherboard because of some kind of porblem on the bios version or what it is called

the thing is ive heard people has problems with this motherboard because of some kind of porblem on the bios version or what it is called

The issues I've seen with bios on z97 were because of overvolting.  These were fixed with updates to the bios which are easy to install.  It's usually good to have an updated bios version anyways when you get a new mobo.

The issues I've seen with bios on z97 were because of overvolting.  These were fixed with updates to the bios which are easy to install.  It's usually good to have an updated bios version anyways when you get a new mobo.

how / were are this updates available on ? and how its to install it ?

how / were are this updates available on ? and how its to install it ?

You can download them from the manufacturers website.  As far as installation most motherboards these days will allow you to install from a thumb drive.

You can download them from the manufacturers website.  As far as installation most motherboards these days will allow you to install from a thumb drive.

anyways i need to install this bios update as soon as i isntall the setup ?

anyways i need to install this bios update as soon as i isntall the setup ?

Not really. But I'd say probably the sooner, the better.

[Main rig "ToXxXiC":]
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K | MB: ASUS Maximus VII Formula | RAM: G.Skill TridentX 32GB 2400MHz (DDR-3) | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Hydro Copper | Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD (+NAS) | Sound: OnBoard | PSU: XFX Black Edition Pro 1050W 80+ Gold | Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II | Cooling: Full Custom Watercooling Loop (CPU+GPU+MB) | OS: Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit)

Not really. But I'd say probably the sooner, the better.

ty

Asus, MSI and Gigabyte are the big 3 in motherboards. Have had all 3 brands over the years. I go by price and features between those 3 brands. 

Asus, MSI and Gigabyte are the big 3 in motherboards. Have had all 3 brands over the years. I go by price and features between those 3 brands. 

Sometimes i make tard questions but well I really dont know and i need to ask xD

how much fans will i be able to turn on this motherboard ? connection 3pin MB, 4pin PSU?

thanks!! :D

Sometimes i make tard questions but well I really dont know and i need to ask xD

how much fans will i be able to turn on this motherboard ? connection 3pin MB, 4pin PSU?

thanks!! :D

That depends on which motherboard exactly you're looking at (maker and model). The high-end ASUS boards, for example support 6-8 fans with 4 pin headers (but can also be used bei 3-pin fans). Haven't checked, but I'd think it to be very likely that lower tier boards probably have fewer options. You'd have to go and check the exact model you choose to find out. However, PWM splitters are available for a couple of Euros, so there is actually no real limit (other than noise and room in your case) to how many fans you can run.

[Main rig "ToXxXiC":]
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K | MB: ASUS Maximus VII Formula | RAM: G.Skill TridentX 32GB 2400MHz (DDR-3) | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Hydro Copper | Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD (+NAS) | Sound: OnBoard | PSU: XFX Black Edition Pro 1050W 80+ Gold | Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II | Cooling: Full Custom Watercooling Loop (CPU+GPU+MB) | OS: Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit)

Look at these two MSI boards. You had the Z97 Gaming 3 board listed. One of these has more USB connections and the other has more SATA internal connections. 

MSI Z97S SLI Plus LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

MSI Z97 U3 Plus LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

They are in the same price range as the original board you listed.