what is the biggest difference between X99 and Z97 except the RAM slot?

please someone help me on this. what were they difference (on the same price) except the RAM slot.

Support for Haswell-E CPUs which includes much more PCIE lanes.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

The core count and the extra PCI lanes as well as more L3 cache. Plus the price :=)

What you looking to do?

Specs: Case: NZXT H440 ] CPU: I7-5960x | CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 AIO | MOBO: ASUS Rampage V  | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970  | RAM: Gskill Ripjaw 4 16GB 2133Mhz DDR4 kit | PSU: EVGA 1000G2 | SSD (Boot): Samsung 850pro 128GB | HDD (mass storage): WD 1TB Blue 7200RPM  | SDD (Working Drve): Samsung 850 evo 500GB | Keyboard: Logitech G510s | Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core | Display: Asus VG248 24in. 144Hz 1ms 

1. Support 8 core CPU

More PCIE lanes

Both are overclockable ,support 2 extra cores on this

better integrated voltage regulator VRM

More USB3 lanes & sata express lane added

Details separate people.

1. Support 8 core CPU
  2. More PCIE lanes
  3. Both are overclockable ,support 2 extra cores on this
  4. better integrated voltage regulator VRM
  5. More USB3 lanes & sata express lane added

The core count and the extra PCI lanes as well as more L3 cache. Plus the price :=)

What you looking to do?

Support for Haswell-E CPUs which includes much more PCIE lanes.

if they're on the same price, which one should i go for an upgrade?

there are all sorts of differences manly refinements and updating the platform a few goodies   

18 core  processors  Xeon-Processor-E5-2699-v3 possibly more in future 

more pci-e

more ram up to 768 GB in certain configurations 

more sata

Forum Links - COC I FAQ I

It's a completely different platform.  Depends what you want to do with the PC.

As Samfisher said, what is the task you are going to be doing with your pc? I would recommend a 5820k if you plan on doing more than gaming and if your willing to spend an extra 100-200 ish over the 4970k, note that x99 mobo and ram are pretty expensive :)

Specs: Case: NZXT H440 ] CPU: I7-5960x | CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 AIO | MOBO: ASUS Rampage V  | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970  | RAM: Gskill Ripjaw 4 16GB 2133Mhz DDR4 kit | PSU: EVGA 1000G2 | SSD (Boot): Samsung 850pro 128GB | HDD (mass storage): WD 1TB Blue 7200RPM  | SDD (Working Drve): Samsung 850 evo 500GB | Keyboard: Logitech G510s | Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core | Display: Asus VG248 24in. 144Hz 1ms 

Well... it depends on your idea of definition, Mine would be that you should go with the latest one,

But if you mean upgrade as in performance wise, the suggestion is that it has no actual performance bump in gaming betwen a 6 core or new 8 core unless future games support it (eg: 8 core vs i7)..

My Final suggestion is that you go for the x99 if going with an 8 core (2011-3 socket, sata express,more ubs & pcie lanes)

, or z97 for the 4-6 core criteria (solid gaming upgrade,lower price comparitively to later x99,same performance in gaming* compared to x99 )

*8 core CPU beats the current 6 core CPu in compute intensive processses, keep that in mind, it's only the same in just gaming

Details separate people.

Here's the thing, they won't be the same price.  X99 boards are considerably more expensive and DDR4 is ridiculous The mainstream platform is where one should be in unless you do a lot of video editing or compute.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

i mostly use my PC for Lumion and gaming. which one is good to go?

As Samfisher said, what is the task you are going to be doing with your pc? I would recommend a 5820k if you plan on doing more than gaming and if your willing to spend an extra 100-200 ish over the 4970k, note that x99 mobo and ram are pretty expensive :)

Well... it depends on your idea of definition, Mine would be that you should go with the latest one,

But if you mean upgrade as in performance wise, the suggestion is that it has no actual performance bump in gaming betwen a 6 core or new 8 core unless future games support it (eg: 8 core vs i7)..

My Final suggestion is that you go for the x99 if going with an 8 core (2011-3 socket, sata express,more ubs & pcie lanes)

, or z97 for the 4-6 core criteria (solid gaming upgrade,lower price comparitively to later x99,same performance in gaming* compared to x99 )

*8 core CPU beats the current 6 core CPu in compute intensive processses, keep that in mind, it's only the same in just gaming

Here's the thing, they won't be the same price.  X99 boards are considerably more expensive and DDR4 is ridiculous The mainstream platform is where one should be in unless you do a lot of video editing or compute.

as i mentioned before. i mostly use my PC for Lumion (3D design program) and gaming. which one u prefer?

and about processor, i'm quite confused between 5860 and 5930. they're quite similar right? but the price is OMG! 

as i mentioned before. i mostly use my PC for Lumion (3D design program) and gaming. which one u prefer?

and about processor, i'm quite confused between 5860 and 5930. they're quite similar right? but the price is OMG! 

8 core , definitely, worth the extra money & the new dram will make sure you'll have a fluid & fast workflow.. don't know about the GPU tho :/ , other members might help you with that one..

Details separate people.

8 core , definitely, worth the extra money & the new dram will make sure you'll have a fluid & fast workflow.. don't know about the GPU tho :/ , other members might help you with that one..

they both same have 6 cores. but the 5930 price is a lot more expensive.

i'm using GTX 780 right now and i think i won't upgrade it till february. i plan to upgrade my mobo and processor first

they both same have 6 cores. but the 5930 price is a lot more expensive.

i'm using GTX 780 right now and i think i won't upgrade it till february. i plan to upgrade my mobo and processor first

Assuming you are referring to buying a 6 core for x99 if not 6 core for z97  then there's no large difference & it will depend on whether you want to spend more on latest release version(general upgrade) vs saving a few & going for the z97(same but cheaper upgrade) ,

it's quite confusing what you were saying right there,  if you're mistaken,  the sockets are different between the two & has modified & different chipsets especially for the new dram are different on X99 means that it carries (2011-3 socket for haswell E & Haswell refresh CPU's with ddr4 support) z97 means it's got 1150 socket pins for first haswell line of products with support for ddr3 alone & not cross compatible i believe, correct me if i'm wrong..

Details separate people.

Assuming you are referring to buying a 6 core for x99 if not 6 core for z97  then there's no large difference & it will depend on whether you want to spend more on latest release version(general upgrade) vs saving a few & going for the z97(same but cheaper upgrade) ,

it's quite confusing what you were saying right there,  if you're mistaken,  the sockets are different between the two & has modified & different chipsets especially for the new dram are different on X99 means that it carries (2011-3 socket for haswell E & Haswell refresh CPU's with ddr4 support) z97 means it's got 1150 socket pins for first haswell line of products with support for ddr3 alone & not cross compatible i believe, correct me if i'm wrong..

wow.. thx for your teaching sir. but right now i use my PC for Lumion and playing games. which one do u prefer for that jobs? the X99 or Z97?

I have no idea of Lumion is CPU or GPU intensive so I can't really comment.  Just remember that Haswell-E (x99, 2011-v3) is exactly the same as regular Haswell chips (1150, z97), they just have boatloads more PCIE lanes and cores.  4 vs 6 or 8 cores.

wow.. thx for your teaching sir. but right now i use my PC for Lumion and playing games. which one do u prefer for that jobs? the X99 or Z97?

right.. <_<

Simply put go with x99 along with 8 core chip (better for workload & same for gaming, comparitively better is what you want & you didn't memtion price being an issue)

BUT! if you're planning to buy a 6 core or a 4 core you better stick with z97(for this category) this is the best advice anyone can give (for free :P)

Details separate people.

I have no idea of Lumion is CPU or GPU intensive so I can't really comment.  Just remember that Haswell-E (x99, 2011-v3) is exactly the same as regular Haswell chips (1150, z97), they just have boatloads more PCIE lanes and cores.  4 vs 6 or 8 cores.

basically, lumion is a GPU all out program. the processor itself doesn't work that much. but maybe the RAM is different. as far as i know rendering needs more RAM. but still i don't know for sure for Lumion even i use it everyday.

right.. <_<

Simply put go with x99 along with 8 core chip (better for workload & same for gaming, comparitively better is what you want & you didn't memtion price being an issue)

BUT! if you're planning to buy a 6 core or a 4 core you better stick with z97(for this category) this is the best advice anyone can give (for free :P)

hahahhaa... aye aye sir. thx for your advice. i think what i need to do right now is finding out about RAM's benefit on Lumion.

right.. <_<

What 6 core is available for Z97? I can't even think of any 6 core Xeon's socketed for 1150.

If you want a 6 core or higher the only choices are X79 and X99.

Everything on Z97 is either dual core, quad core (no HT), or quad core 8 thread (HT).

A solid X99 build is going to cost you north of $1300, and that's only with the 5820K. If you want 40 lane support tac on another $300-1000 for the 5930k or 5960x.

IMO you're much better off getting a 4790K on a Z97, your wallet will thank you, and unless Lumia is the most highly threaded application in the world you will see 0 difference between the two platforms for your uses.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |