Cant get my GPU to fold?

Hey guys, so I am starting to actually get into folding and I am currently trying to add my GPU to my folding. It is detected and put into the folding slot, but the work queue just says Download and it stays that way permanently. It never starts folding. It says its waiting on "WS Assignment" and the Work Server and Collection Server both say 0.0.0.0... It just keeps attempting and failing. Can someone tell me why this is happening and how to fix it? Thanks!

Heres some log for ya:

02:38:04:WU01:FS01:Connecting to assign-GPU.stanford.edu:808002:38:04:WU01:FS01:News: Welcome to Folding@Home02:38:04:WARNING:WU01:FS01:Failed to get assignment from 'assign-GPU.stanford.edu:8080': Empty work server assignment02:38:04:ERROR:WU01:FS01:Exception: Could not get an assignment

ALSO another quick question: I have a 6 core cpu, if I want to use multiple of those cores, should I actually add another slot?

First off, what GPU is it? You could try deleting the GPU slot, then re-adding it.

Your CPU slot should say, CPU:5 or something similar - this would mean it is using 5 cores. You can modify that one, to be 6, to use all your cores, 4, to use 4.... but, you only use one GPU slot. Even if you have 4 CPU, 4xcores per, then you would have one slot saying CPU:16

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

The GPU is a Radeon HD 7450

I know its not very good but I figured it may be nice to get just a bit more folding power...

Try a reboot, see if that helps. Then if it doesn't, go into the Advanced Control, Configure and delete the GPU slot. Exit out to save it and wipe any info. Then go back and add a new GPU slot, leaving it at -1 to auto detect and see if that helps.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Sorry to bump this as its slightly old, but I never did get this thing to fold... I have tried everything above with no success.

OK, let's check the GPU Whitelist - need the vendor ID:device ID

If you don't see it, find the VendorID:DeviceID of your GPU. These can be obtained by running gpu-z and looking six lines down for "device ID"

or by looking at the device properties in the Windows device manager. Download the latest copy of GPUs.txt and search for those device codes.

Once you have those, we can look up the info specific to your card and see what it says.

Also, in advanced control, click on the Log tab - and if you need to, filter it to that specific slot. Copy and paste that so we can take a look at what error it may be throwing up.

I checked the whitelist and it was there. The exact same thing that it says in the FAH client...

Heres the log:

02:25:40:WU01:FS01:Connecting to assign-GPU.stanford.edu:808002:25:41:WU01:FS01:News: Welcome to Folding@Home02:25:41:WARNING:WU01:FS01:Failed to get assignment from 'assign-GPU.stanford.edu:8080': Empty work server assignment02:25:41:ERROR:WU01:FS01:Exception: Could not get an assignment

So, it looks like your system is having an issue getting to standford. Put this in your address bar:

http://assign-gpu.stanford.edu:8080/

It should come up wiht a page that just says OK - this will determine if you can actually get to the site or not to pick up WU's.

Also, if that works, then look through the log and you should be able to see the IP of the work server you are trying to get to - post that and we can check it. If you cannot get to the site though, then you have some local network issues. Maybe port 8080 outbound is blocked? Are you in a home? Normal ISP?

Yeah it says OK. Uhm... where am I supposed to see the IP? I dont see any ip's... Just that url. 

Wait, did you mean in the status tab? It says this:

Work Server: 0.0.0.0

Collection Server: 0.0.0.0

Most likely because graphics cards are not meant to be folded. They have a PCB and heat sick....its supposed to stay straight.

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

No, sorry, that is what it would show when you have a succesful WU downloaded. OK.. so, something weird going on. Question - is your CPU folding ok? Sounds like for some reason, something is blocking the WU download process. I know some higher end firewalls, like mine, have really good IPS and application filtering. Mine actually blocks FAH from downloading as it thinks it is a torrent. I have to make an exception for it to work.

If all else fails, head over to http://foldingforum.org/

Make an ID there and also post everything we have tried. They have some users over there with a lot more experience then I trouble shooting...

Yeah.. my CPU folds very well...

Well, if reboots, delete and re-add, the slot, re-install the whole client and such and still not working, beyond me. Hopefully someone at Folding Forum can help you. Be very interested to find out what the issue is.