AMD vs. Nvidia

SoggyPenguin1
Go to solution Solved by hooh888,

Please do not use the brand as a deciding factor for GPUs, let performance, temperatures, power draws, and the amount of cash you're willing to fork out be the deciding factors. Oh and the games you play too since some games are better optimized on Nvidia cards and some better on the AMD ones.

Hello. I have a question regarding the rivalry between AMD and Nvidia. I just don't get why several people on forums clash out to each other about which one is better. I personally pick on how much FPS you can get on a certain card for a good price. I don't mean to start a war here on this forum but I'm just curious... Which is better: AMD or Nvidia?

Neither. They both leapfrog each other constantly. They both have different features and mindsets.

EDIT: Please delete Thread, This will just draw out the fanboys.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

Hello. I have a question regarding the rivalry between AMD and Nvidia. I just don't get why several people on forums clash out to each other about which one is better. I personally pick on how much FPS you can get on a certain card for a good price. I don't mean to start a war here on this forum but I'm just curious... Which is better: AMD or Nvidia?

Don't get me wrong but please just ask the mods to eradicate this thread, otherwise there will be a crazy amount of shit-storms and clusterfucks here.

We need them both for competition, that's it. Only competition sides with the consumer.

SimRacer - Casual FSX Pilot!

Spoiler

Mobo: MSI B550 Tomahawk | CPU: Ryzen R5 3600 | GPU: Vega 64 Sapphire Nitro | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200Mhz | PSU: EVGA P2 1000W 80Plus Platinum | Storage: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD - 1TB WD Black - 2TB Seagate HDD | Cooling: Dark Rock Pro 3, Noiseblocker eLoop Fans | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Audio: Sennheiser HD598 - JBL LSR305s | Display: BenQ EX3501R, Asus VG278H

Spoiler

There are multiple threads out there on this subject. Its all a personal choice. There is no comparison. They both have benefits and draw backs. Please delete this post cause its just going to cause a flame war

AMD diehard & Nvidia Enthusiest

Pls don't do this, this is going to be an never stopping fan boy war. 

Me PERSONAL like nvidia more, although overal prive/performance of amd is better. Except 970... (This is my opinion don't start the hate)

Nvidia.

R8JTy5y.gif

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Nvidia GTX

- Pros
  • PhysX - Only in select games, but looks damn good.
  • HairWorks - Again, only in select games that implement it, but looks damn good.
  • TXAA - Another exclusive effect, but looks damn good in the games that support it and are actually optimized for it (Splinter Cell: Blacklist runs it like shit).
  • GeForce Experience - Able to optimize visual settings for your games automatically based on your preferences and hardware. Also comes with GameStream and Shadowplay.
  • GameStream - If you own an Nvidia Shield device, you can stream your games to said mobile device and play your games away from your PC and even on another network via internet.
  • ShadowPlay - You can record your gameplay via hardware accelerated H.264 encoder which will already be compressed and not a gigantic file like what you would get with say, Fraps. While using ShadowPlay you can also stream to Twitch in a more efficient way.
  • EVGA - Offers a very great warranty on all of their GTX products and will work with you to make you happy if you have an issue.

- Cons

• GeForce Experience is still iffy for many users, giving issues ranging from not booting up, ShadowPlay not working properly and one that personally bothers me is not downloading and installing GPU drivers properly.
  • Poor price-to-performance compared to Radeon.
  • Nvidia sucks at marketing

AMD Radeon

- Pros

• Mantle - An alternate API to DirectX exclusive to Radeon at the moment. Gives performance boosts in games that support it over DirectX, but the boosts vary depending on your setup.
  • TressFX - Makes hair looks more realistic. The effect is no longer exclusive to Radeon cards, but it will run better on those video cards compared to the competition.
  • TrueAudio - A great alternative to 'surround sound' to theoretically give more precision and immersiveness to your environmental audio.
  • Price-To-Performance - Absolutely blows away Nvidia in the price-to-performance department. You get way more bang for your buck, as always with AMD.
  • Drivers - Reason I listed this as a pro: Radeon's drivers are getting way better, so ignore the people shouting that Radeon's drivers suck, because they're not as bad as they used to be. I see just as many people complain about Nvidia in the same department.
  • AMD Gaming Evolved - AMD's counter to GeForce Experience and does what the competition does, but you can also get rewards for simply playing your games. The rewards you get varies on the points you have.
  • Sapphire - Sapphire make some of the sexiest coolers and the quietest coolers for Radeon cards.

- Cons

• Many people complain of DoA (dead on arrival) and cards not functioning properly later down the road, more than the competition it would seem. This isn't 100% a fact, however. Take this with a grain of salt.
  • AMD's highest end 290x does not beat a 780ti in most areas, but only loses by a bit.
  • AMD absolutely sucks at marketing and naming conventions, and some decisions they make, make absolutely no sense. Could be said about both companies.

- Conclusion

Both vendors have excellent products. Like every single piece of tech on the market, it is all prone to DoA and malfunctions down the road. This is why you choose the appropriate aftermarket manufacturer, such as EVGA (GTX exclusive) or Sapphire (Radeon exclusive). Everyone on this forum can agree that both companies absolutely suck at marketing. Nvidia says their Titan cards are gaming cards, which isn't the whole story that they try to sell, AMD keeps rebranding things with only little improvements and so on. They both make stupid decisions but they do it for business reasons, even though they are still stupid. Did I mention they make stupid decisions?

tl;dr, pick your card and don't be a brand whore.

I'm a fan of both Nvidia and AMD, and oppose anyone who is only a fan of one side  ;)  :lol:  :ph34r:

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

It is entirely dependent upon the situation for which is better, there is no set rule as to which is the best outright. I personally hold no brand allegiances, so I will go for whichever is the best at the price I require and fulfils my requirements.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Neither are "better" Nvidia are ahead at the moment... it changes a lot.. best to go with performance / price / power consumption rather than AMD or Nvidia 

Yes Yes Legalize Gay Marriage sure, but have you ever considered Weaponizing Gay?

CPU: I5 4690 3.5ghz || MOBO: MSI B85-G43 Gaming Board || RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengance Pro - Red || GPU: Gainward GTX770 Phantom 4gb || PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W Gold || Case: Thermaltake Urban T31 || SSD: Corsair Force 120GB || HDD: 1TB WD Black

Well it looks like some people want me to delete this thread or else a war will start.. Here it came, there it goes. 

Also, how do you delete a thread? (Kind of a noob here.)

I'm not a fanboy of either. AMD has better price to performance, while nVidia has more extras features and power consumption. 

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Nvidia GTX

- Pros

• PhysX - Only in select games, but looks damn good.
  • HairWorks - Again, only in select games that implement it, but looks damn good.
  • TXAA - Another exclusive effect, but looks damn good in the games that support it and are actually optimized for it (Splinter Cell: Blacklist runs it like shit).
  • GeForce Experience - Able to optimize visual settings for your games automatically based on your preferences and hardware. Also comes with GameStream and Shadowplay.
  • GameStream - If you own an Nvidia Shield device, you can stream your games to said mobile device and play your games away from your PC and even on another network via internet.
  • ShadowPlay - You can record your gameplay via hardware accelerated H.264 encoder which will already be compressed and not a gigantic file like what you would get with say, Fraps. While using ShadowPlay you can also stream to Twitch in a more efficient way.
  • EVGA - Offers a very great warranty on all of their GTX products and will work with you to make you happy if you have an issue.
- Cons
  • GeForce Experience is still iffy for many users, giving issues ranging from not booting up, ShadowPlay not working properly and one that personally bothers me is not downloading and installing GPU drivers properly.
  • Nvidia sucks at marketing
AMD Radeon

- Pros

• Mantle - An alternate API to DirectX exclusive to Radeon at the moment. Gives performance boosts in games that support it over DirectX, but the boosts vary depending on your setup.
  • TressFX - Makes hair looks more realistic. The effect is no longer exclusive to Radeon cards, but it will run better on those video cards compared to the competition.
  • TrueAudio - A great alternative to 'surround sound' to theoretically give more precision and immersiveness to your environmental audio.
  • Price-To-Performance - Absolutely blows away Nvidia in the price-to-performance department. You get way more bang for your buck, as always with AMD.
  • Drivers - Reason I listed this as a pro: Radeon's drivers are getting way better, so ignore the people shouting that Radeon's drivers suck, because they're not as bad as they used to be. I see just as many people complain about Nvidia in the same department.
  • AMD Gaming Evolved - AMD's counter to GeForce Experience and does what the competition does, but you can also get rewards for simply playing your games. The rewards you get varies on the points you have.
  • Sapphire - Sapphire make some of the sexiest coolers and the quietest coolers for Radeon cards.
- Cons
  • Many people complain of DoA (dead on arrival) and cards not functioning properly later down the road, more than the competition it would seem. This isn't 100% a fact, however. Take this with a grain of salt.
  • AMD's highest end 290x does not beat a 780ti in most areas, but only loses by a bit.
  • AMD absolutely sucks at marketing and naming conventions, and some decisions they make, make absolutely no sense. Could be said about both companies.
- Conclusion

Both vendors have excellent products. Like every single piece of tech on the market, it is all prone to DoA and malfunctions down the road. This is why you choose the appropriate aftermarket manufacturer, such as EVGA (GTX exclusive) or Sapphire (Radeon exclusive). Everyone on this forum can agree that both companies absolutely suck at marketing. Nvidia says their Titan cards are gaming cards, which isn't the whole story that they try to sell, AMD keeps rebranding things with only little improvements and so on. They both make stupid decisions but they do it for business reasons, even though they are still stupid. Did I mention they make stupid decisions?

I think it's unfair to list PhysX and HairWorks as only used in select games, and not do the same with TressFX and TrueAudio.

In the interest of impartiality, could you update your copypasta to include that those Radeon technologies are also only in select games?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

can someone make an amd vs nvidia post regarding specs and pin it, to many of these threads. 

My Little Gaming Rig:

CPU: FX 8320 | MOBO: Gigabyte 970A-D3P | RAM: G.Skill Ares 2x4GB | GPU: Sapphire Dual-X R9 270X | Storage: Seagate SSHD 1TB | Case: Corsair 200R | PSU: CM 550W V-Series

Upgrades to come: CPU FAN: Corsair H100i | RAM: 2 more 4GB sticks | GPU: Another R9 270X running in crossfire | Storage: Samsung 120GB SSD | PSU: Corsair 800w

Linus, pls stop doing all this troll accounts just to mock us.. 

I think it's unfair to list PhysX and HairWorks as only used in select games, and not do the same with TressFX and TrueAudio.

In the interest of impartiality, could you update your copypasta to include that those Radeon technologies are also only in select games?

I'm aware of that, I just can't be arsed to edit it right now. Maybe this weekend when I'm finished with my homework I'm going to a complete update of it. There's other things that need to be added/updated as well.

Linus, pls stop doing all this troll accounts just to mock us..

Pfft.. @LinusTech will never do it @Slick would kick his ass.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Hello. I have a question regarding the rivalry between AMD and Nvidia. I just don't get why several people on forums clash out to each other about which one is better.

Because internet.

I personally pick on how much FPS you can get on a certain card for a good price. I don't mean to start a war here on this forum but I'm just curious...

Let both sides have what they want... too bad there is not another one or two GPU makers. That would be better yet

Which is better: AMD or Nvidia?

There is no answer to that. Choose what you like. That is what everyone does. Problem is people then feel like they must push on others what they choose for themselves. Why, insecurity?? immaturity? bored? I call that the internet.

Please do not use the brand as a deciding factor for GPUs, let performance, temperatures, power draws, and the amount of cash you're willing to fork out be the deciding factors. Oh and the games you play too since some games are better optimized on Nvidia cards and some better on the AMD ones.

--- My Rig ---
CPU : Intel Core i7 4790K | Motherboard : Asrock Z97 Extreme6 | CPU Cooler : Cooler Master Nepton 280L | RAM : 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3PSU : Corsair AX860i |

GPU : Gigabyte GeForce GTX970 G1 Gaming | Chassis : Corsair Carbide Air 540 | SSD : Samsung 840 Evo 256GBHDD : Seagate NAS 2TB | HDD : Western Digital Caviar Red 4TB |

Optical Drive : Asus 24x DVD-RW | Lighting : NZXT Hue | Monitor : Dell U2515H | Keyboard : Ducky G2 Pro Blue Grey (Full Layout)Mouse : Razer Naga Chroma |

Mouse Mat : Corsair MM300 Anti-Fray Cloth Extended | Speakers : Altec Lansing Octane 7 | Headphones : Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Kingston HyperX Cloud II Pro

Primary mobile device : Galaxy S8 G950FD - Nova Launcher Prime | LG G Watch Urbane (Gold) | Secondary mobile device : PS Vita PCH-1000

I'm aware of that, I just can't be arsed to edit it right now. Maybe this weekend when I'm finished with my homework I'm going to a complete update of it. There's other things that need to be added/updated as well.

Nvidia GTX

- Pros

• PhysX - Only in select games, but looks damn good.
  • HairWorks - Again, only in select games that implement it, but looks damn good.
  • TXAA - Another exclusive effect, but looks damn good in the games that support it and are actually optimized for it (Splinter Cell: Blacklist runs it like shit).
  • MFAA - Exclusive effect, offers the same visual effect as MSAA with around 70% of the performance hit
  • DSR - Dynamic Super Resolution ups the resolution your graphics card is rendering (i.e. 2560x1440p if you're running a 1080p monitor), down samples it to your monitors resolution, then sends it to the screen. The upshot is an improvement in visuals, similar to AA, in games where you have more than enough power to run at a higher resolution.
  • VXGI - Part of the GameWorks suite, so only likely to be seen in limited games, provides much more realistic lighting without the performance hit of ray tracing
  • GeForce Experience - Able to optimize visual settings for your games automatically based on your preferences and hardware. Also comes with GameStream and Shadowplay.
  • GameStream - If you own an Nvidia Shield device, you can stream your games to said mobile device and play your games away from your PC and even on another network via internet.
  • ShadowPlay - You can record your gameplay via hardware accelerated H.264 encoder which will already be compressed and not a gigantic file like what you would get with say, Fraps. While using ShadowPlay you can also stream to Twitch in a more efficient way.
  • EVGA - Offers a very great warranty on all of their GTX products and will work with you to make you happy if you have an issue.
  • Power Consumption - Testing has shown that a 4-way SLI system using GTX 980s and a Haswell-E CPU only draws around 600W from the wall with a Platinum power supply at gaming load. The GTX 750 Ti delivers close to 60 class performance with no extra power connector required.

- Cons

• Nvidia sucks at marketing

AMD Radeon

- Pros

• Mantle - Only in select games, an alternate API to DirectX exclusive to Radeon at the moment. Gives performance boosts in games that support it over DirectX, but the boosts vary depending on your setup.
  • TressFX - Only in select games, makes hair looks more realistic. The effect is no longer exclusive to Radeon cards, but it will run better on those video cards compared to the competition.
  • TrueAudio - Only in select games, a great alternative to 'surround sound' to theoretically give more precision and immersiveness to your environmental audio.
  • Price-To-Performance - Absolutely blows away Nvidia in the price-to-performance department. You get way more bang for your buck, as always with AMD.
  • Drivers - Reason I listed this as a pro: Radeon's drivers are getting way better, so ignore the people shouting that Radeon's drivers suck, because they're not as bad as they used to be. I see just as many people complain about Nvidia in the same department.
  • AMD Gaming Evolved - AMD's counter to GeForce Experience and does what the competition does, but you can also get rewards for simply playing your games. The rewards you get varies on the points you have.
  • Sapphire - Sapphire make some of the sexiest coolers and the quietest coolers for Radeon cards.

- Cons

• The Gaming Evolved gaming settings are crowd sourced, whereas Nvidia do extensive testing to find settings that are right for your computer. Also, Nvidia's optimization can be adjusted between performance and quality.

- Conclusion

An updated copypasta for you, with the new Nvidia technologies included and the previously mentioned changes the TressFX and TrueAudio. I also added power consumption to Nvidia. I assume no new AMD technologies have surfaced, as I haven't heard of any. Also, seeing as you still list Radeon's drivers as a pro, I'm removing Geforce Experience's cons from Nvidia. They've had very few issues lately with all the updates, and new features have been added making it even better.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

I prefer Nvidia cards, always have.

Do research on different cards, and pick what you like.

I guess that solves it then. Thanks! :D