F1 japan GP - Jules Bianchi crash

Hi everyone

I was just wondering whats everyone's thought on the crash, it's the first significant crash in 20 years.

this is quoted from the f1 site

"On lap 42, Adrian Sutil lost control of his car, spun and hit the tyre barrier on the outside of Turn 7. The marshals displayed double waved yellow flags before the corner to warn drivers of the incident. A recovery vehicle was dispatched in order to lift the car and take it to a place of safety behind the guard rail. While this was being done the driver of car 17, Jules Bianchi, lost control of his car, travelled across the run-off area and hit the back of the tractor."

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2014/10/16448.html

I think it's a compounding problem which i dont think can be pointed at a signal person.

But saying that a good driver might have ended his career, he is currently stable but in a significant condition (brain damage)

I wish him and his family the best

Its all about those volumetric clouds

Why didn't they just order the cars to stop? In nascar that's what they do if a wreck is bad enough, called a red flag. They stop the race and restart.

Just curious, I prefer formula racing to nascar because it takes more skill, but why wouldn't they just stop the cars?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

What about not having such races and focusing more important problems?

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

yeah i saw it, hes stable now but had 2 operations and is in intensive care, but its racing tbh, there are risks, the conditions were poor though

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

Why didn't they just order the cars to stop? In nascar that's what they do if a wreck is bad enough, called a red flag. They stop the race and restart.

Just curious, I prefer formula racing to nascar because it takes more skill, but why wouldn't they just stop the cars?

nascar... the most boring motorsport ever

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

Just saw the crash it looks like he collided head first with that bulldozer looks pretty brutal ..poor guy.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013).

Don't start that.

i was thinking that when i typed it but very true, whats so entertaining about watching cars go around in a oval for 200laps

Spoiler

they did, the tractor was there for another one

Just watched the video. Goddamnit he's lucky to be alive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_lp5ODzpLs

nascar... the most boring motorsport ever

I agree. But still, why the fuck not call a caution lap for a wreck, slow everyone down and wait until the track is clear and then restart the race at whatever lap it was when the crash occurred? Seems like common sense to me. It does have it's fun parts when you actually go to the race, cookouts, beer, etc.

they did, the tractor was there for another one

Sounds like they were still all going at it, they should immediately slow down to like, 45 or whatever the slowest those cars can go without stalling is. I don't understand how that guy crashed the way he did

Just watched the video. Goddamnit he's lucky to be alive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_lp5ODzpLs

I agree. But still, why the fuck not call a caution lap for a wreck, slow everyone down and wait until the track is clear and then restart the race at whatever lap it was when the crash occurred? Seems like common sense to me.

fuck I hadn't seen that I'm guessing from that the front of his car went under it and his head would of hit the side of the tractor

fuck I hadn't seen that I'm guessing from that the front of his car went under it and his head would of hit the side of the tractor

My question is why the fuck he was going so goddamned fast? He had to be doing at least 100mph, probably a hell of a lot more.

If there's a wreck on the track, common sense would dictate that you slow every single car down to controllable speeds, not just put up flaggers and let the race keep going, that's just insane. At least to me it is.

I don't understand how that guy crashed the way he did

Heavy rain and patches of rubber make the track really slippy. And it was getting darker

My system: CPU: i5-4670k CPU-Cooler: be quiet Dark Rock Pro 3 Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H Ram: 8GB Kingston HyperX fury (red) SSD: Samasing 840 EVO 120GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 3GB Windforce Case: Fractal Define R4 windowed PSU: Corsair CX 600W Semi-Modular OS: Windows 7 Home Premium.

Laptop: Dell Laptop - Some crap i5 and 8GB of DDR3 ram. OS: Duel Boot - Windows 8 & Ubuntu! 

My question is why the fuck he was going so goddamned fast? He had to be doing at least 100mph, probably a hell of a lot more.

If there's a wreck on the track, common sense would dictate that you slow every single car down to controllable speeds, not just put up flaggers and let the race keep going, that's just insane. At least to me it is.

this happened really fast  - rain, 1st crash then the 2nd crash

plus they need to go quick to get everything to work

also it was near the end of the race so most likly tyre wear had to do with it also tyre option since its was getting heavier rain afew teams changed again from intermediates to wets

Heavy rain and patches of rubber make the track really slippy. And it was getting darker

this happened really fast  - rain, 1st crash then the 2nd crash

plus they need to go quick to get everything to work

I know nobody here likes nascar, but I'm gonna use them as an example. When a crash occurs, be it an actual collision or just a car spinning out, a radio message goes out to all the drivers, and they are automatically required to slow down to pace speeds, which is like 55mph (on some tracks, might be lower or slightly higher on other tracks), and the pace car comes out, the cars continue going around and reform "the pack" as it's called, in the positions they were in when the caution flag came out, then once everything is cleaned up, they restart the race (not the race as a whole, they just start racing again lol). If the wreck is bad enough, a red flag comes out and all cars have to pull into the pits, again in their current race positions (they also do this for weather), the drivers have to stay in their cars (or at least with them I think) until the race is restarted (or if weather is too bad, cancelled for the rest of the day)

Why not do the same in formula one? Did this happen before they could get everyone slowed down or something? That I can see, but this seems like they just put up flags at the corner and let the race keep going, which seems kind of well, insane to me.

I know nobody here likes nascar, but I'm gonna use them as an example. When a crash occurs, be it an actual collision or just a car spinning out, a radio message goes out to all the drivers, and they are automatically required to slow down to pace speeds, which is like 55mph (on some tracks, might be lower or slightly higher on other tracks), and the pace car comes out, the cars continue going around and reform "the pack" as it's called, in the positions they were in when the caution flag came out, then once everything is cleaned up, they restart the race (not the race as a whole, they just start racing again lol). If the wreck is bad enough, a red flag comes out and all cars have to pull into the pits, again in their current race positions (they also do this for weather), the drivers have to stay in their cars (or at least with them I think) until the race is restarted (or if weather is too bad, cancelled for the rest of the day)

Why not do the same in formula one? Did this happen before they could get everyone slowed down or something? That I can see, but this seems like they just put up flags at the corner and let the race keep going, which seems kind of well, insane to me.

The crash happened 1 lap after the crash the tractor was lifting up happened. In F1 they have a safety car like the pace car you mentioned which all the cars have to keep behind slowing down the race, but that usually takes a lap or 2 to get out (depending on the positions of the leaders) and if the crash isn't really near the track they don't bring it out. They have a red flag they used it earlier because of really heavy rain (in the end they had to red flag the race after the crash).

Also it must of scared the shit out of the tractor driver and other people on the track. 

My system: CPU: i5-4670k CPU-Cooler: be quiet Dark Rock Pro 3 Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H Ram: 8GB Kingston HyperX fury (red) SSD: Samasing 840 EVO 120GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 3GB Windforce Case: Fractal Define R4 windowed PSU: Corsair CX 600W Semi-Modular OS: Windows 7 Home Premium.

Laptop: Dell Laptop - Some crap i5 and 8GB of DDR3 ram. OS: Duel Boot - Windows 8 & Ubuntu! 

Also it must of scared the shit out of the tractor driver and other people on the track. 

I'm sorta surprised there wasn't any of the track marshals injured

I think F1 is pretty safe nowadays. Especially when you consider how dangerous it was back in the 70's.

Like Schumacher, he'll never be the same.

Edited by eLucid

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

because the livelihood of a car going off in the exact same place and hitting the recovery vehicle is quite low. Also yellow is usually enough as they can gain time and is slowed down.

I'm sorta surprised there wasn't any of the track marshals injured

Looked like the tractor's tire's got popped.

looks like the video was taken down

looks like the video was taken down

Yep probably fia .

The crash happened 1 lap after the crash the tractor was lifting up happened. In F1 they have a safety car like the pace car you mentioned which all the cars have to keep behind slowing down the race, but that usually takes a lap or 2 to get out (depending on the positions of the leaders) and if the crash isn't really near the track they don't bring it out. They have a red flag they used it earlier because of really heavy rain (in the end they had to red flag the race after the crash).

Ah. It just seems like this wreck shouldn't have occurred. Did they not radio him and say "hey, there's a wreck up ahead, slow the fuck down" or something? I know that in nascar if you speed during a caution lap you get a heavy punishment, possibly get black flagged from the race. That is unless if your passing the pack to get back to your starting position which sometimes happens.

because the livelihood of a car going off in the exact same place and hitting the recovery vehicle is quite low. Also yellow is usually enough as they can gain time and is slowed down.

Looked like the tractor's tire's got popped.

It looked to me like this guy was still going full bore, unless he slammed on the breaks and locked up the tires causing him to slide into the tractor. I'd just like to see a better video of the crash to see how it happened.

Say what you will, but going to an actual nascar race is actually fun. I do think they need to reduce the number of laps, 500 laps is just too damned long to watch lol

Edit: Although I've never seen a man with a jetpack or a b-52 at a race.

-snip-

It looked to me like this guy was still going full bore, unless he slammed on the breaks and locked up the tires causing him to slide into the tractor. I'd just like to see a better video of the crash to see how it happened.

-snip

hey man im just telling you the rules if he didnt follow them well...

Also they dont have a set speed until they behind the pace car, they just cant better their time. This has been the only anywhere near fatal crash in quite a while in F1 due to how safe the cars are and how they handle it. I personally think Nascar is way too cautious but half the time is more about the racers than the race, so maybe that is why.

All I know is that there is a road Nascar track near me and most of the drivers fail at it. Three plus years in a row have been green white checker finishes, which if you ask me is kinda sad. They cant start without crashing and if they manage that someone tires to go 3 wide into the first corner very unsuccessfully.

hey man im just telling you the rules if he didnt follow them well...

Also they dont have a set speed until they behind the pace car, they just cant better their time. This has been the only anywhere near fatal crash in quite a while in F1 due to how safe the cars are and how they handle it. I personally think Nascar is way too cautious but half the time is more about the racers than the race, so maybe that is why.

All I know is that there is a road Nascar track near me and most of the drivers fail at it. Three plus years in a row have been green white checker finishes, which if you ask me is kinda sad. They cant start without crashing and if they manage that someone tires to go 3 wide into the first corner very unsuccessfully.

You have to remember the extreme difference in those cars though. Nascar cars have little to no downforce compared to formula one cars, which are all about downforce. Not to mention a lack of driver aids like e-differentials, adjustable suspension (from within the car at least), traction control (not sure entirely if formula one has that), and even power steering. It's supposed to be all about the driver and not just the car. Not saying Formula one drivers don't have skill, they do, not to mention balls the size of my head to take turns that fast, but it is two completely different animals.

Good to know this is a rare occurrence though.