Need to reinstall Windows on a Lenovo Y50, no OS CD?

ThatAngryGnome
Go to solution Solved by SuperPug,

I think you can download the ISO file on the Microsoft homepage. Of course youre gonna need the legit serial which should be on a sticker somwhere on your notebook.

I want to get rid of the crappy 5,400 rpm HDD that came stock with the Lenovo Y50 and upgrade it with this 512 gb SSD. Problem is there is only one HDD spot, and Lenovo doesn't send any CD's with their laptops. How would I go about reinsatlling Windows (8.1) with the same key as the one that came with the Y50? 

Thanks for any help. 

EDIT: I do have an external HDD USB3.0 enclousre if that could help.

I think you can download the ISO file on the Microsoft homepage. Of course youre gonna need the legit serial which should be on a sticker somwhere on your notebook.

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

Why not get it directly from Microsoft, rather than TPB?

Just use your existing key with the setup, create bootable USB and then use that to install http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

Got it.Thanks!

Is this something new? Didn't know they offer this. Much better way indeed.

Nope, been able to do it for a long time. Just need an active key and you can download the ISO. 

Got it.Thanks!

can you tell me if that works for you. because im going to replace my hdd in my y510p. And i was not sure if i would have to go and buy windows 8.