Which sound device should i use? Sound card or Onboard?

asung415
Go to solution Solved by BoredErica,

I heard him typing with my bare ears....

He heard you typing that across the country with his 1337 audio setup

Well, holllyyy sheeeeiittt.

I'll re-ask my question:

If, for example, you like the sounds from the Realtek more than the SB, but it turns out the SB is better on the paper. Would you switch to the one you like less, just because it's statistically inferior (not because you dislike it)?

Well then, guess I was wrong... it's not about what he hears as better, it's out of curiosity. That makes sense too.

I can't really tell a difference. Therefore i am wondering which one is supposed to be better?

With no usable specs for the Recon and Realtek performance changing from motherboard implementation to motherboard implementation, it's hard to tell you. I would suggest taking out the sound card and just using onboard.

So I have the Sound Blaster Recon 3d and the Realtek® ALC892 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC featuring Crystal Sound 2. Which is better? And why should I use one over the other?

All help is appreciated!

Good point, its just i want to know the cold hard facts on which one is better. Thanks though

I've never particularly liked Realteks onboard for any audio (partly because I'm an audio snob and musician), and I've never had good luck with Soundblasters. Personally, I would spend $20-30 on an ASUS Xonar card as their really pretty impressive for the price.

Between the two you have, if you can get the Soundblaster working properly (which I never did), it should technically be better.

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | ASUS Z97-A | Intel Core i5 4690K | G.Skill Ripjaw 4 GB (desperately needs upgrade) | MSI Radeon R9 290 | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB SSD | Seagate Constellation 1 TB HDD (also needs upgrade) | NZXT Kraken X61 for CPU | NZXT Kraken X61 + G10 for GPU | Corsair M45 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | ASUS Xonar DSX | Denon AD-H2000

Good point, its just i want to know the cold hard facts on which one is better. Thanks though

That's like asking which one is better, hamburger or hotdog. Does it really matter? What really matter is which one you prefer or tastes better to you, and that's that. If you like hamburger better than hotdog, but the world say hotdog is better than hamburger, what would you do? Will you change your preference to hotdog, just because the world says so?

I have never used the two sound devices you are reffering to.

However I think that if you intend to listen to music or use speakers oftern you should use a sound card and the investment is well worth it. An asus xonar is my choice but of course you have two already so pick your sound card and roll with it.

I mean what will produce better quality. What hardware will be better for music? It isn't a question about preference. Just wondering what will produce better quality sound.

In this forum you will transform into a dartboard for wanting to use a soundcard.  The thing is... is that everyone is soo focused on getting the best graphics and fps.. but they forget about their equilibrium between their ears and the sound waves that bounce around in there.  There is a huge difference between onboard audio and a soundcard.  I have owned... and my friends have owned.... and competed... using different sound cards for the longest time and we have used soundblaster.. for gaming.  Even though soundblaster can suk the occasional cok... it is the best thing out there if you want to hear your enemy before he hears you.  A lot of people in this forum believe that you cannot distinguish different sounds past a certain level.. well I'm hear to tell you that those folks are getting headshotted or accusing folks of wallhacks.  Pair some Grado PS1000s with the Soundblaster ZXR and change your gaming experience.  Your sound is the most important thing.. almost slightly more important than graphics.. (by a smidgen).  When you see all these builds.. you just see sli sli sli bullshit.  I'll rock noobs to sleep with one card and a sick HEADPHONE setup all day.  Although I do have sick graphics.. try pairing it with the sickest sound power/capabilities you can get. Don't listen to these poor noobs that haven't bought a sound card or even the rich ones that have nice headphones but just listen to stupid ass music.  

I mean what will produce better quality. What hardware will be better for music? It isn't a question about preference. Just wondering what will produce better quality sound.

I'll re-ask my question:

If you like hamburger better than hotdog, but the world say hotdog is better than hamburger, what would you do? Will you change your preference to hotdog, just because the world says so?

If, for example, you like the sounds from the Realtek more than the SB, but it turns out the SB is better on the paper. Would you switch to the one you like less, just because it's statistically inferior (not because you dislike it)?

In this forum you will transform into a dartboard for wanting to use a soundcard.  The thing is... is that everyone is soo focused on getting the best graphics and fps.. but they forget about their equilibrium between their ears and the sound waves that bounce around in there.  There is a huge difference between onboard audio and a soundcard.  I have owned... and my friends have owned.... and competed... using different sound cards for the longest time and we have used soundblaster.. for gaming.  Even though soundblaster can suk the occasional cok... it is the best thing out there if you want to hear your enemy before he hears you.  A lot of people in this forum believe that you cannot distinguish different sounds past a certain level.. well I'm hear to tell you that those folks are getting headshotted or accusing folks of wallhacks.  Pair some Grado PS1000s with the Soundblaster ZXR and change your gaming experience.  Your sound is the most important thing.. almost slightly more important than graphics.. (by a smidgen).  When you see all these builds.. you just see sli sli sli bullshit.  I'll rock noobs to sleep with one card and a sick HEADPHONE setup all day.  Although I do have sick graphics.. try pairing it with the sickest sound power/capabilities you can get. Don't listen to these poor noobs that haven't bought a sound card or even the rich ones that have nice headphones but just listen to stupid ass music.  

Wow, just wow. A good on-board solution will be as good as any consumer grade sound card. If you want better sound quality and/or surround experience, upgrading the headphones/speakers will make a bigger difference. Of course if your on-board chip is very old or broken then a cheap sound card will be enough (such as Xonar DG(X)).

Onboard audio is not bad at all. It is usually better than a soundcard because there is less interference. If you really need a better audio source I would get an external DAC.

Onboard audio is not bad at all. It is usually better than a soundcard because there is less interference. If you really need a better audio source I would get an external DAC.

A good sound card would have enough electrical filtering to give the components a fairly clean power source. Aside from shielding that is on higher end products, you can also choose to populate a slot that is far from major EMI sources.

That being said, there is a lot of overlap in their performance. There are also great performing onboard audio adapters, and terrible dedicated sound boards.

Aside from measured performance, one has to consider component synergy as well.

These factors make the decision a case per case basis.

That's like asking which one is better, hamburger or hotdog. Does it really matter

Hamburger.

And yes.

In this forum you will transform into a dartboard for wanting to use a soundcard.  The thing is... is that everyone is soo focused on getting the best graphics and fps.. but they forget about their equilibrium between their ears and the sound waves that bounce around in there.  There is a huge difference between onboard audio and a soundcard.  I have owned... and my friends have owned.... and competed... using different sound cards for the longest time and we have used soundblaster.. for gaming.  Even though soundblaster can suk the occasional cok... it is the best thing out there if you want to hear your enemy before he hears you.  A lot of people in this forum believe that you cannot distinguish different sounds past a certain level.. well I'm hear to tell you that those folks are getting headshotted or accusing folks of wallhacks.  Pair some Grado PS1000s with the Soundblaster ZXR and change your gaming experience.  Your sound is the most important thing.. almost slightly more important than graphics.. (by a smidgen).  When you see all these builds.. you just see sli sli sli bullshit.  I'll rock noobs to sleep with one card and a sick HEADPHONE setup all day.  Although I do have sick graphics.. try pairing it with the sickest sound power/capabilities you can get.

Don't the PS1000s have an OBSCENE amount of treble?

Don't listen to these poor noobs that haven't bought a sound card or even the rich ones that have nice headphones but just listen to stupid ass music.

Also, don't listen to people who spent tons of money on their gear and might be undergoing post-purchase-rationalization!  ;)

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Hamburger.

And yes.

Don't the PS1000s have an OBSCENE amount of treble?

Also, don't listen to people who spent tons of money on their gear and might be undergoing post-purchase-rationalization!  ;)

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I'll re-ask my question:

I can't really tell a difference. Therefore i am wondering which one is supposed to be better?

I heard him typing with my bare ears....

Well, holllyyy sheeeeiittt.

I'll re-ask my question:

Well then, guess I was wrong... it's not about what he hears as better, it's out of curiosity. That makes sense too.

With no usable specs for the Recon and Realtek performance changing from motherboard implementation to motherboard implementation, it's hard to tell you. I would suggest taking out the sound card and just using onboard.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?