Weird noise while gaming, GTX770

Aronasbjorn

Hello, 

I have a MSI GTX 770 Gaming Twin frozer, 

While i am gaming there comes really loud noises ( like a squeal ) from my computer, but it stops if i minimize the game.

I stress tested the CPU and no noise, 

I stress tested the GPU and there is the noise there for i think it should be with the GPU or the PSU. 

What do you guys think ? 

My System: 

i7 4790K

Gigabyte GA-H97N-Wifi

Corsair vengeance DDR3 1600mhz 16Gb.

MSI GTX770 Gaming 2Gb

Corsair CX 750M

Corsair H75 Cpu cooler

It's not the fan, it's the hardware of the GPU producing that noise. It's called coil whine, and it will now always happen whenever there's lots of power being put through your GPU. The only way to avoid it is to underclock and purposely gimp your GPU.

It's not the fan, it's the hardware of the GPU producing that noise. It's called coil whine, and it will now always happen whenever there's lots of power being put through your GPU. The only way to avoid it is to underclock and purposely gimp your GPU.

It won't always happen lol. 

sounds like an old water pump noise.. but do not think H75 will make that noise unless its very old.

How old is the PSU?? 

Edited: I agree on the coil whine!! as Linus says new PSU might help or underclock GPU.

It won't always happen lol. 

With that GPU it will when under the same load conditions. There's no fix.

With that GPU it will when under the same load conditions. There's no fix.

With his GPU, not with every GPU. I thought you meant that

@NeCoNLive It's not a water pump noise, it's just the GPU whining

Coil whining, it's normal

ok i've never heard of coil whine but that is fricking annoying and i would smash something if i have to hear that for a long time

Intel i7 4702MQ| Nvidia GTX 850M| Kingston 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz| Acer VA70_HW (mobo)| 1TB WD Blue| MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0|1600x900 display|Win 8.1

Intel i5 4690K @Stock| Sapphire 390 Nitro| Hyper X Fury 2x4GB| MSI SLI Krait z97| Noctua Nh-U12S | 850 EVO 256GB| 2TB WD Black | CM V 850w| Enthoo Luxe

If you want to tag me or any person with periods do: @[Member='Name]

Try limiting your fps on game to 60.. if that would help

what game the voice appears? it might be that sometimes on menus and such fps ramps up and that makes the noice..

Yup its coil whine... generally its nothing too serious but if its annoying RMA whatever part is doing it.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

It's most likely coil whine and can occur when your gpu is pushing high framrates. Install Fraps and see if theres a correlation between framerate and the noise. If there is use a program to lock the framerate to 60max - that should minimize the sound.

Coil whine can be fixed in some situations!

An easy fix that might work in some cases is to enable vsync. try it..

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

Basically, what they're all saying by "capping framerate" and "enabling vsync" is that in order to make the problem go away, you have to not use your GPu to its full potential. Your options are to either RMA it, deal with the noise, or deal with the significantly reduced performance to make the whine go away (again, the whine happens based upon the current power load going through your GPU).