Salary Sought For IT 'Engineer' (Trainee)

Gould-Digger

I'm currently applying for the position of IT 'Engineer' (Trainee) and they have asked me what my salary sought figure is, for anyone who doesn't know, this means what figure per annum are you looking for from this position.

The job basically includes general technical support for both staff and customers, training is also given on how to support their own systems/products (They design, manufacture and sell security/fire alarm systems)

My question is, what should my sought salary be? I've just finished a 2 year course in IT at college (UK) which included units such as technical support via e-mail, phone and remote desktop. Computer and network systems, IT troubleshooting and repair, Managing networks as well as other things like spreadsheet modelling and database design.

I can put negotiable, but I would still like some sort of figure in my head.

-Note, minimum wage for under 20s is £5.13 an hour. The job advertised is 40 hours per week, but I don't know about holidays etc.

I always tell perspective employers that I am open for negotiation. After that they give me offers and I accept what I find reasonable, that way I don't seem like I'm over-confident or under-selling myself.

keep it simple, always put negotiable unless you have people fighting over you. Salary.com son!

Do some looking around and see what is common for that kind of position in your area. I dont have any clue what the salary of those kinds of positions are.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro