PC protection(malware+virus)

PeachyFawx

so i have been running my computer for ages now with out any kind of antimalware/antivirus and i feel that i probably should look into actually installing something since it isnt a good idea not to.  so i need something free and something that actually works. (nortan is not an option)

Me? a girl? psh, don't be silly, everyone knows girls don't use computers

Avast and Malwarebytes is what I use.

has worked flawlessly for years.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

so i have been running my computer for ages now with out any kind of antimalware/antivirus and i feel that i probably should look into actually installing something since it isnt a good idea not to.  so i need something free and something that actually works. (nortan is not an option)

To be honest, the anti-virus movement is dead and more companies are starting to agree with this.

The thing that is on most computers is simply malware and this ranges from browser bugs, fake software and rootkits. These are EASILY avoidable. Adblock Plus will remove most of the ways these infections enter your computer. This is simply fake sites that force download an .exe file that you run and bam you're infected. 

You can run all the protection, but if you don't protect yourself, you will get infected and those programs don't do jack.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

Ive found that by running ad block plus and noscript addons that block javascript unless you allow it, ive been able to avoid any infections.

Since the avenues for the infection were shut down by these programs my antivirus or malware scans never find anything.

for my protection and computers I use a variety, I use avira for anti virus and active protection, malwarebytes free scanner to scan for malware, I use chrome extensions to protect me and my computer such as HTTPS everywhere, disconnect me which stops sites tracking me, ad block plus to get rid of nasty adverts, avira browser security as well. Main thing is to be smart with what you click on, if I started going to stupid sites and click on everything I see none of those protections will help...]

I use Windows Defender because I'm too lazy to install something else.

Windows has a built in defender called Windows Defender. You can use this to help protect your PC, it is a basic virus and malware scan. You can also use Malwarebytes. Its pretty much the go-to to clean infections these days. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

If you want a lightweight premium antivirus you should consider webroot, its great but a bit expensive and seems unnecessary for most people. How you use your computer is usually more important than what antivirus you get.

Desktop: Core i5-2500K, ASUS GTX 560, MSI Z68A GD65, CM HAF 912 Advanced, OCZ Vertex 4, WD 1TB Black, Seasonic P660, Samsung S27A850D, Audioengine A2, Noctua NH-D14, NB eLoops

Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon

Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013, Razer Deathadder 3.5G, Razer Deathadder 2013, Razer Goliathus Control, Razer Manticor

"Avast and Malwarebytes is what I use.

has worked flawlessly for years." - Are people really this.. well, stupid? ofcourse its worked flawlessly, malware etc may have stayed hidden in your system for years.

Think twice before you speak, because your words and influence will plant the seed of either success or failure in the mind of another. - Napoleon Hill

adblock and windows defender is pretty much all i use.  however once per week i run malwarebytes, and once per month i run combofix

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

I use the same as the first comment, Avast and Malwarebytes. Has worked for me about 5 years and has had no problems with it.

My Computer

Beef Cake

Intel i5 4690k @ 3.5GHz - EVGA 970 FTW - ASRock Z97 Extreme3 - Kingston HyperX Fury 8Gb 1866MHz - 120GB Samsung Evo - 1TB Toshiba Drive - 320GB Samsung Barracuda - Corsair 500M

Fuck these anti virus threads etc, I might just right a massive security guide for LLT and call it that. So many people just don't understand security at all... Plz go read Schneier on Security lol.

Think twice before you speak, because your words and influence will plant the seed of either success or failure in the mind of another. - Napoleon Hill