First build, will it explode?

TERRA-NOVA

That may be a useless question, but this is the first PC build I have put together and I would like some input. I plan on putting this together this Christmas and I have done a great deal of research on these components. I'm already way over budget with this build but fuck it I say, BUILD IT! I plan on adding more fans and water cooling, as well as SLI the GPU and add another pack of the same memory in a different color (maybe blue....). I Feal free to talk technical and thanks in advance!

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/mjanusze0717/saved/zbJp99

What do you plan to do with it? Gaming? Video editing? 

If just gaming then get an i5 4690K as it will be just as good for gaming, and throw in a 250gb ssd.

Also you don't need to get your own thermal compound as intel has pre-applied some to the heatsink that comes with the CPU.

If you plan to use an aftermarket cpu cooler then usually they come with it pre-applied too, though it may not be the absolute best.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

WELCOME! :D

Looks good to me :)

Are you sure you need an i7? You could get an i5 that performs almost just as well if this is just a gaming PC and not an editing rig. Then you could spend that extra $100 on some better peripherals or case

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

of course it will explode you idiot, you forgot the flux capacitor.....jk jk

but yeah what do you plan on doing with it.

I tell this to most people: get rid of the optical drive unless you're 100% sure you need it. Even if you think you might use it occasionally, you can easily get around not having one these days. I know it's just ~$15-20, but hey - every cent counts, and personally I think it can ruin the look of a case sometimes.

Also what other people in this topic have been saying - what are you using this computer for? Just gaming? Heavy video editing? The more you tell us the more we'll be able to help you :)

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

Unless you had something like a diablotek psu, it won't explode. But i would recommend putting a i5 (if your just gaming), WD blue hdd, ssd in your build, and a g2 750w psu instead of a g1 750w psu. 

Unless you had something like a diablotek psu, it won't explode. But i would recommend putting a i5 (if your just gaming), WD blue hdd, ssd in your build, and a g2 750w psu instead of a g1 750w psu. 

fact all diablo tek PSUs shoot flames

psu_fire.jpg

not too bad but if you can fit a SSD in there you will not regret it

my computer beats all computers in a 1,000 NM radius

Thanks to everyone who replied, sorry for not saying this, I am intending this for gaming. I thought i needed an i7 bit if that's not the case I would love to go for a mechanical keyboard..... Thanks on the input bubblewhale, can anypne recomend an SSD for this budget if i drop my processor down?

Thanks to everyone who replied, sorry for not saying this, I am intending this for gaming. I thought i needed an i7 bit if that's not the case I would love to go for a mechanical keyboard..... Thanks on the input bubblewhale, can anypne recomend an SSD for this budget if i drop my processor down?

MX100

I tell this to most people: get rid of the optical drive unless you're 100% sure you need it. Even if you think you might use it occasionally, you can easily get around not having one these days. I know it's just ~$15-20, but hey - every cent counts, and personally I think it can ruin the look of a case sometimes.

Also what other people in this topic have been saying - what are you using this computer for? Just gaming? Heavy video editing? The more you tell us the more we'll be able to help you :)

I thought I needed this to install my OS, am I wrong?

If you have another computer it is really easy to create a usb boot drive. 8GB usb drive, formatting software and you can get the os image online. I had trouble with Windows's own formatting software and someone on the forum recommended a free on that worked perfectly. Il link my forum topic that helped me make one.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

You can easily make a bootable USB drive using a program (this is just one of many) like Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool.nobody uses optical drives anymore

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

Thanks everyone, I took what you all said into advisement and I made these:

I changed both of the builds with a 256gb MX100 SSD, G2 PSU, and a WD Blue 1TB HDD. The first build has an Intel 4690k, the second still has the 4790k.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/mjanusze0717/saved/27V2FT

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/mjanusze0717/saved/zbJp99

How does this look?

keep i7 ,it might be useful in near future when dx12 games come out

u could cheap out on case

and u don't really need 750w psu unless u want to do sli, 500w is enough even for 980

put decent cpu cooler like hyper212 evo, it helps in overclocking

keep i7 ,it might be useful in near future when dx12 games come out

u could cheap out on case

and u don't really need 750w psu unless u want to do sli, 500w is enough even for 980

put decent cpu cooler like hyper212 evo, it helps in overclocking

I plan to get a Corsair H100i Water Cooler and not overclock until then, I want the 750 because I do plan to add more cooling, SLI, and ram to this build. I don't understand what you mean by cheap out on case.....

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($339.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($89.99 @ TigerDirect)
Memory: Team Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory  ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($109.97 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($106.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($369.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master N600 Windowed ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor  ($264.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1546.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-05 03:29 EDT-0400