Did I just ruined my USB thumb drive?

KarsonC
Go to solution Solved by iMTHESAN,

I had a thumb drive die on me the exact same way. 8GB 3.0 Never worked again....

Hello there,

Last night, I am copying around 14GB of files from the external usb drive to the thumb drive.

After copying for few minutes, the thumb drive become unable to write or delete,

it keeps going I/O error "Error 0x8007045D: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error."

Did I ruined the drive? I have this past experience doing the same thing I think and it's the third time.

The thumb drive is the 32GB Sandisk Extreme 3.0, is it a faulty product or my problem? It never happened in other portable drives. Thanks

Cheers,

Karson.C

MY SETUP
CPU: Intel i7-4771 , RAM: Team Xtreem DDR3 1600MHz 8GB x 4 , MB: Intel DZ87KLT-75K , GPU:Asus OC GTX760, SSD: Plextor M5P 256GB , HDD: 1TB WD Black , PSU: Antec HCG520M

open command prompt, type in:

Diskpart

list disk (do you see your USB here?)

If so carry on:

select disk #

clean

then go into your partition manager and format it to fat32/NTFS or whatever you require.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Did you try formatting?

Try a different USB port first.

That doesn't help, I tried another computer and one with Windows XP, neither one works it just keep saying unable to format

MY SETUP
CPU: Intel i7-4771 , RAM: Team Xtreem DDR3 1600MHz 8GB x 4 , MB: Intel DZ87KLT-75K , GPU:Asus OC GTX760, SSD: Plextor M5P 256GB , HDD: 1TB WD Black , PSU: Antec HCG520M

open command prompt, type in:

Diskpart

list disk (do you see your USB here?)

If so carry on:

select disk #

clean

then go into your partition manager and format it to fat32/NTFS or whatever you require.

I have got this after the clean action done.

"DiskPart has encountered an error: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device 

error."

MY SETUP

She be dead

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

If KarsonC tip didnt work than its likely its dead.

Head into disk management while the USB is plugged in and check it. From there try to format it.

PC ENTHUSIAST, COMPETITIVE GAMER, GENERAL GAMER

Or it could be simply the USB controller is overloaded and can't supply enough power for both the USB disk and the thumb drive? 

try plugging one front one back or both back 1 top of IO ports one bottom 

ICT professional, Addicted to PC

If KarsonC tip didnt work than its likely its dead.

Head into disk management while the USB is plugged in and check it. From there try to format it.

Nope, nothing can be done by it, still same unable to format issue.

MY SETUP

Or it could be simply the USB controller is overloaded and can't supply enough power for both the USB disk and the thumb drive? 

try plugging one front one back or both back 1 top of IO ports one bottom 

Now even only the thumb drive, nothing can do with it other than read and copy out.

MY SETUP

its not write protected is it? does it have a physical switch on it? id say spin it up in linux as this sounds like its been connected to a mac or nix box and not properly ejected and locked. 

ICT professional, Addicted to PC

I have got this after the clean action done.

"DiskPart has encountered an error: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device 

error."

Change the USB port, could be the port thats dead.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

I had a thumb drive die on me the exact same way. 8GB 3.0 Never worked again....

PC ENTHUSIAST, COMPETITIVE GAMER, GENERAL GAMER

its not write protected is it? does it have a physical switch on it? id say spin it up in linux as this sounds like its been connected to a mac or nix box and not properly ejected and locked. 

Nah, it's the Sandisk Extreme 3.0, no switch what so ever. I don't think modern thumb drives will have that physical switch anymore. I am copying it on the same PC, USB drive to thumb drive. It hangs during the copy and said that error I/O problem. =(

MY SETUP

Change the USB port, could be the port thats dead.

Not even working on another computer, sent to RMA and picked up a new free one already.

MY SETUP