"Gaming" Headset vs Headphones?

So I've been using my A40's for nearly a year by now, and in terms of comfort and sound quality they are superb! Better than my Sennheiser, Corsair or Marshall headphones. The reason I'm posting is due to me feeling that"gaming" brands are more about gamer-bling and LED's, where as the A40's are nothing like that. So I want to ask the forum about their experiences with Astros, Have you have any bad experiences? Does they seem better to you than a bunch of 300$ headsets?

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. - Mark Twain

Astro aren't the best from what I've heard. They're mostly popular due to "gam3r 5w@g".

Not sure what Sennheiser headphones you're using but that shouldn't be the case. Marshall headphones from personal experience are pretty bad - Too quiet, uncomfortable and ridiculously tiny. Corsair headphones... Well I wouldn't expect them to be top quality anyway because Corsair make gaming headsets.

The Dude's PC Build<p>i5 4690k @ 3.5ghz w/ The Crappy Intel Stock Cooler | Asus Z97-K | 8GB Corsair Vengance LP DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz |1TB Seagate Barracuda + 120GB Samsung Evo SSD | Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 4GB | 650 Watt CoolerMaster Gaming Series PSU | Bitfenix Shinobi Windowed | BenQ GL2460 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Brown | Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red gaming mouse | A £0.63 mouse pad from artcow.com

Well I haven't personally used the astro's. But actually going out and buying a microphone + Headphone combo is waaaay better. I do think they are inferior to say a pair $300 headphones. Since those headphones are suppose to be geared towards gaming, a microphone boom, and some good aesthetics and done. Now even though they don't compare to $300 headphones, they do get the job done so.... But in my opinion they are not worth it at the price.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

Most gaming headsets get crushed against audiophile headphones + a ModMic. 

Over the past year I've observed that the gaming oriented headsets are sound a lot better, with less compromises, and better build quality, but if you get that extra $100/200, and some really decent headphones along with a ModMic, you'd be a changed person.  

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

I own a pair of Astro A40's, and personally they are great. The sound is nice, the mic whilst not being the best is decent. The build quality for my pair is excellent(I have heard different opinions though) . I have dropped them, thrown them and used them extensively everyday and they are still going strong. The price is what brings them down. You really do pay for the brand. 

There are better options for the amount of money they cost. But if you need a headset for different platforms they are great.

Intel i5-4670K, Asus Maximus VII (z97), 16gb Kingston, Asus Gtx 780, Fractal Design Define Mini, 250Gb Samsung Evo, Corsair CS650M

Yey dis meh Pc

Most gaming headsets get crushed against audiophile headphones + a ModMic. 

Over the past year I've observed that the gaming oriented headsets are sound a lot better, with less compromises, and better build quality, but if you get that extra $100/200, and some really decent headphones along with a ModMic, you'd be a changed person.  

That's really true. Going with a decent pair of headphones and throwing a ModMic on seems to be a very practical thing. This way you get the best audio and microphone quality!!!

Intel i5-4670K, Asus Maximus VII (z97), 16gb Kingston, Asus Gtx 780, Fractal Design Define Mini, 250Gb Samsung Evo, Corsair CS650M

Yey dis meh Pc

A pair of headphones and a modmic will almost always be better than any of these "Gaming Headsets" out there.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

That's really true. Going with a decent pair of headphones and throwing a ModMic on seems to be a very practical thing. This way you get the best audio and microphone quality!!!

Exactly. 

Only other option I'd take is the HS-260 imo. Has a superb mic, and the audio is pretty dam good too. 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

I've thought about getting audiophile headphones, but cash is always a problem for a 15 year old techie :/
I'm currently saving up for a GTX 970 and K70 RGB, so a new headset isn't going to happen soon.
For the record: I'm using HD 429's. I know it's not fair to take 300$ headsets up headsets half the price, but I just wanted opinions. :D

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. - Mark Twain

Well if you're going to talk about the $300 price range, it's pretty sad to be getting a headset at that price range. $300 would get you Sennheiser HD600 and almost HD650 (well, for used on Amazon anyways). For quite a few people these are already end game headphones. That's definitely "audiophile territory". Under $100 I get why somebody would get a headset... but anybody who is serious enough about audio (for headphones and/or microphone) to spend $300 should be willing to get a desktop microphone or at least paste a modmic onto a headphone.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?