new build choice either haswell, Sandy Bridge-E or Ivy Bridge

I'm about to start a fresh build so i have a clean slate. so any idea's on which way to go, I'm thinking to go good performance for a medium price and I'm planning to go raid 0 with ssd's with hardrive backup of coarse. I was leaning to Sandy Bridge 3930K. Any thoughts thanks. 

If you say "medium price", then SB-E is completely out of the question. It will perform alot better than both Haswell and IB; however, you pay so much more for it. What are you looking to do? Gaming? Editing etc?

Are you going for RAID because its cool? Most people will never see the benefits of a raid 0 array, and to be honest its less reliable. Why are you wanting to go sandy bridge? Any reason? Id reccomend either ivy brige or haswell, theyre both better than sandy bridge

CPU: i5 3570k                                 PSU: CX650 Corsair                 SSD: 128GB Samsung 840

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance     Case: Zalman Z11                    HDD: 500Gb Toshiba & 1TB Western Digital

MOBO: ASrock Extreme 4 Z77        GPU: GTX 770

If youre looking for gaming , we're all going to end up reccomending the same chip 'i5 3570k' or its haswell equivalent..

CPU: i5 3570k                                 PSU: CX650 Corsair                 SSD: 128GB Samsung 840

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance     Case: Zalman Z11                    HDD: 500Gb Toshiba & 1TB Western Digital

well originally i was planning a high end build with raid but, you are right may be better to drop it. ive research hard and priced up many options ive sorted some sub $2000 settups with haswell or ivy which may be a good option. With sandy about 2700 with raid. But i think the performance increase may not be worth it.

Well, Haswell, prices are the same as ivy and i preforms abysmally better but for the same price, whats the point? why not just get newest. Sorry if it didnt make sense.

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Well, Haswell, prices are the same as ivy and i preforms abysmally better but for the same price, whats the point? why not just get newest. Sorry if it didnt make sense.

makes sense thanks, the only problem at the moment stock has sold out here in Australia of haswell boards i may wait for stock of see if there is a sell out  of ivy boards  :D

To be honest I wouldnt go for raid 0, unless youre getting like 1GB down o.O if you are i want to move into your house :D the only other way youll use it is if youre recording uncompressed video. The performance you get out of it wont be worth it, check out the i7 ivy brige models

EDIT:

What sort of other specs are you going for? PSU RAM ect.. ? :)

If you say "medium price", then SB-E is completely out of the question. It will perform alot better than both Haswell and IB; however, you pay so much more for it. What are you looking to do? Gaming? Editing etc?

I agree, SB-E is not a 'medium price' platform at all. Moreover, Ivy and Haswell can actually perform better in games because they have the better per-core performance and games rarely use more than 4 cores. Really the only point in going for LGA 2011 is if you need the 12 threads of the £500+ chips; the 3820 at this point is kind of a headscratcher since there's really very few people who it caters for. The only people I can see buying a 3820 are people who need a stopgap before splurging on a 6-core model later, or who just want the 40 PCIe lanes for some exotic SLI/Crossfire setup.

To be honest I wouldnt go for raid 0, unless youre getting like 1GB down o.O if you are i want to move into your house :D the only other way youll use it is if youre recording uncompressed video. The performance you get out of it wont be worth it, check out the i7 ivy brige models

EDIT:

Why not go for RAID 0? You're talking only about write speeds (which I agree, he has little use for). RAID 0 would also increase his read speeds though surely? Faster boot times, faster load times in games etc.?

The speeds arnt so fast as you will notice its worth. The security of your data should be more important than a second faster loading time, using an SSD anyway will make your system fly ;) they are significantly faster than HDDs. You can do it if you want bragging rites..

I agree, SB-E is not a 'medium price' platform at all. Moreover, Ivy and Haswell can actually perform better in games because they have the better per-core performance and games rarely use more than 4 cores. Really the only point in going for LGA 2011 is if you need the 12 threads of the £500+ chips; the 3820 at this point is kind of a headscratcher since there's really very few people who it caters for. The only people I can see buying a 3820 are people who need a stopgap before splurging on a 6-core model later, or who just want the 40 PCIe lanes for some exotic SLI/Crossfire setup.

Why not go for RAID 0? You're talking only about write speeds (which I agree, he has little use for). RAID 0 would also increase his read speeds though surely? Faster boot times, faster load times in games etc.?

The speeds arnt so fast as you will notice its worth. The security of your data should be more important than a second faster loading time, using an SSD anyway will make your system fly ;) they are significantly faster than HDDs. You can do it if you want bragging rites..

Depends what he's putting onto the RAID array really. He's said he'll be using a HDD too, so if all he's putting on the RAID array is his OS and a few games it's hardly the end of the world if he loses the array. He can just stick another one in and reinstall Windows. I'd imagine anything crucial would be on the HDD anyway - plus it's not like running RAID 0 actually makes the drives more prone to failure, it's just that statistically RAID 0 has two points of failure instead of one.

Im going to go Haswell, pricing is relatively close to ivy so as im starting from scratch i may as well go with the new tech

EDIT:

Here are some of the parts I've looked at so far for the build. PSU, case I’m still deciding.

Intel Core I7-4770K 

Corsair H100I

Asus Z87-PRO 

CORSAIR 16GB (2x8GB) 1600MHz

GTX 770 

Samsung 2.5" 256GB 840 Pro or 500 non pro not sure yet

Seagate ST2000DM001 3.5" 2TB SATA3 Barracuda 

Depends what he's putting onto the RAID array really. He's said he'll be using a HDD too, so if all he's putting on the RAID array is his OS and a few games it's hardly the end of the world if he loses the array. He can just stick another one in and reinstall Windows. I'd imagine anything crucial would be on the HDD anyway - plus it's not like running RAID 0 actually makes the drives more prone to failure, it's just that statistically RAID 0 has two points of failure instead of one.

I'm not going to worry about raid at moment, but that might change before I get the SSD's 

Thanks heaps all for the advice. its nice to do another build its been five years since my last. i used to upgrade my computers every two years, this is the longest time that I haven't.  :)

If you still decide to go with RAID, please go with RAID 0+1. That way you'll have the benefits of speed, but also have your system backed up, in case one of the drives fails. If that happens, you are done.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

If you still decide to go with RAID, please go with RAID 0+1. That way you'll have the benefits of speed, but also have your system backed up, in case one of the drives fails. If that happens, you are done.

yes I've toyed with that idea myself or maybe have two 3.5 hard drives in the system and set-up a drive image backup on one of them.

buying a i7 for gaming is plain stupid since hyperthreading will not give you more fps except in a phew titles ( 2-3 fps) and you will loose fps in many titles...

Exactly, planning to do the same thing (buy a new rig) now i have a VERY old dual core E5200. No reason at all to go extra 90-150 bucks for i7 just for gaming.

i5 is the best answer for gaming: (3570k) or the new Haswell 4670k (better) or even AMD 8350. 

Why not put the 100$ bucks on your gpu and it will be MUCH better. And it's future proof too if gaming will be the only purpose.

Exactly, planning to do the same thing (buy a new rig) now i have a VERY old dual core E5200. No reason at all to go extra 90-150 bucks for i7 just for gaming.

i5 is the best answer for gaming: (3570k) or the new Haswell 4670k (better) or even AMD 8350. 

Why not put the 100$ bucks on your gpu and it will be MUCH better. And it's future proof too if gaming will be the only purpose.

i'd like to add that the fx 8320 is also a good option over a fx 8350 , since the difference is a .2ghz factory overclock.

pi = 3.14159262358979323846

First and foremost--what's your budget?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Yes you guys make sense, i have also looked at those options. which im still considering.

First and foremost--what's your budget?

Around 2k Australian, 

EDIT. i was looking at the i7 in case, i decide to do any video editing.work. But when i think again it, it wont be that often. So the cheap options maybe the way to go.

Yes you guys make sense, i have also looked at those options. which im still considering.

Around 2k Australian,

EDIT. i was looking at the i7 in case, i decide to do any video editing.work. But when i think again it, it wont be that often. So the cheap options maybe the way to go.

It seems you have no need to spend it all. That's a good chunk of money.

Here you go; http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/12Uc4 $1573 AUS

The Xeon is basically the 3770 but clocked 0.1ghz lower with 0.2ghz less turbo. In all practicality, it won't bottleneck anything anytime soon.

Got a micro-atx board for the price. It has 4 rams slots so you can upgrade to 32gigs if you ever feel like it.

16gigs of CL9 1600 memory should be enough for some weighted multitasking.

Samsung 840 For OS/Applications. You can go for the 250GB variant for ~$60 if you want more space for games. Games on an ssd get much less loading time.

Seagate Barracuda 2TB for storage. You could easily get a bunch of 3TB's instead if you're a media hog.

GTX 780 for some hardcore gaming. It's basically a Titan if you somehow haven't heard of it already.

I grabbed an Antec One case since it's not too plain but not covered in more arty designs. You can pick out any case you'd like but the Antec One was just a good medium default between simple/flashy.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

It seems you have no need to spend it all. That's a good chunk of money.

Here you go; http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/12Uc4 $1573 AUS

The Xeon is basically the 3770 but clocked 0.1ghz lower with 0.2ghz less turbo. In all practicality, it won't bottleneck anything anytime soon.

Got a micro-atx board for the price. It has 4 rams slots so you can upgrade to 32gigs if you ever feel like it.

16gigs of CL9 1600 memory should be enough for some weighted multitasking.

Samsung 840 For OS/Applications. You can go for the 250GB variant for ~$60 if you want more space for games. Games on an ssd get much less loading time.

Seagate Barracuda 2TB for storage. You could easily get a bunch of 3TB's instead if you're a media hog.

GTX 780 for some hardcore gaming. It's basically a Titan if you somehow haven't heard of it already.

I grabbed an Antec One case since it's not too plain but not covered in more arty designs. You can pick out any case you'd like but the Antec One was just a good medium default between simple/flashy.

sounds great mate, but Im looking at water cooling with possible overclocking, so Im thinking I5 4670k or amd fx8350 the rest look good in your recommended parts. the motherboard may have to be a bit dearer but ill save on psu as i've got one.