Need help with my mATX gaming cube thing! (Non-OC, overpriced $1700 Gaming Rig)

Go to solution Solved by brob,

@bs525,

550W is quite sufficient for a GTX 970.

A Hyper 212 EVO will do a good job. I doubt an AIO would improve things.

Samsung reports that it is currently validating a ffirmware update that addresses the problem. Personally I tend to pick the best priced unit from a reliable manufacturer.

I'm well aware that this build should probably be closer to $1500 in total, but boy, this is the lowest I can possibly get where I live. I'll never know the joy of super cheap retail prices. :(

Anyways, after weeks of researching, this is the best I could come up with. A gold-themed (mostly) mATX build. I won't be overclocking nor will I be doing any SLI, hence the locked processor and H97 mobo.

There are three things I am still not sure of:

- PSU: I figured a 550W PSU would be enough, but is it? The only things I'll add in the future is a couple more SSDs and probably some LED strips, more fans, or even a fan controller but that's it. Future Graphics card would most likely have lower and lower power consumption anyways, right?

- CPU Cooler: CM 212 Evo, or any good air cooler would probably be sufficient, but would I benefit from closed loop watercoolers like Corsair's Hydro lineup for example?

- SSD: I know Samsung's EVO is the popular choice around here, but until they get that performance issue fixed, I won't consider it for now.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($211.00)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($36.00)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($112.00)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($95.00)

Storage: Corsair Force LX Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($133.00)

Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($80.00)

Case: Aerocool DS Cube Gold Edition Silent Cube MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($100.00)

Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($101.00)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($86.00)

Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($124.00)

Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser Mouse ($58.00)

Other: LG 24MP76HM-S 23.8inch IPS LED Monitor ($200.00)

Other: Palit GTX 970 JetStream 4 GB ($350.00)

Total: $1686.00

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-03 18:46 EDT-0400

Just to be safe and reassured, I hope you guys can weigh in on what you think of this build, regardless of the excessive price, nothing I can do about that.

Anyways, I await your opinions, thanks! :D

hate the mouse, laser sucks. other than that looks fine to me

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

hate the mouse, laser sucks. other than that looks fine to me

Ah yes, I considered the Steelseries Kana V2 (white) which is optical and apparently very good and accurate except for the LOD (can be fixed). But come to think of it, I'm not much of a competitive player, so I probably won't mind, but if I do get bothered by the Laser sensor, I'll just get both :P

@bs525,

550W is quite sufficient for a GTX 970.

A Hyper 212 EVO will do a good job. I doubt an AIO would improve things.

Samsung reports that it is currently validating a ffirmware update that addresses the problem. Personally I tend to pick the best priced unit from a reliable manufacturer.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.