Cooking!

Lotus

Who here cooks? What are some of your dishes and recipes? I'll start with a few of my unhealthy but extra-good tasting stuff. I'm a self-taught cook, so it's just whatever tastes good to me. Also I'm a college student, so I'm very budget conscious, which you can probably tell from the ingredients I use.

1) Burger

I made a post about this, which is what prompted the topic idea. Here it is:

I cook all my hamburgers on my charcoal grill. I start with 80/20 fresh never frozen ground beef, and while I don't add pork because I typically put bacon as a topping, if you add a little bit of pork to the meat it makes it taste amazing. It's basically cheating at cooking. I go for about medium (some pink). I butter and toast my buns, and fry up some bacon slowly and don't overcook it. You don't need to go for super crispy (aka overcooked) on the bacon because they're a topping, but they do need to be cooked fully. Lower heat is ideal for this. So now we have perfectly cooked burgers, bacon, and buttered and toasted buns. I add some cream cheese and hot pepper jelly and voila. The best burger I've ever tasted, and I can make them myself in 20 minutes (not including getting the coals ready) for pretty darn cheap. Better than restaurant quality for basically what amounts to $2 a burger.

2) Beans (or beef-less Chili)

First I start with taking 3 slices of thick cut hickory smoked bacon and cutting up the strips into tiny rectangles and frying them in a large frying pan on medium heat. I let them cook slowly, and I treat cooking them almost like I would ground beef. After about halfway, I actually drain a small portion of the grease (because this is the only time I take anything out of the frying pan and I can't be TOO greasy) and throw in a diced onion with a large clove of fresh diced garlic. The ingredients will finish at the same time. I then add a can of pinto beans, a can of black beans, a can of petite diced tomatoes, and a small can of tomato paste. For spices I add some smoked paprika, cumin, salt, and some canned chipotle peppers (but not too much because they'll be spicy). I also add a half-handful of brown sugar. I then let the ingredients simmer for as long as I can hold out until I just have to eat my tasty beans.

3) Grilled Cheese with two twists

Yeah, it's hard to mess this up, and technically what I do is grittled cheese, but hear me out. First you get the pan hot, then drop in some butter. After the butter has fully melted and is hot (should be almost immediate if your pan is actually hot like its supposed to be) sprinkle a small amount of shredded cheese mix directly into the butter on the pan (you pick what kinds, but cheddar should be at least in the mix) and then plop down a slice of white bread directly on top of the cheese. Then, sprinkle a generous amount of the cheese on top of the slice of bread as well as a small amount of brown sugar. Put another slice of bread on top, and then the rest is the standard method of grill cheese (don't forget the butter for the other exterior side of the sandwich). You end up with a grilled cheese that is slightly sweet thanks to the small bit of brown sugar and extra tasty because you have friend cheese on the outside of the sandwich. Super good.

I cook more sweet things but prefer savoury things to eat. I mainly make cakes but also make other things.

Steve

Anything in a box with instructions. Kraft Dinner, chicken strips, grilled cheese. Chicken Fajitas are an awesome one. umm.. Soup is easy lol

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

Trik'Stari made a similar topic a while back. http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/220337-unofficial-linustechtips-recipe-book

Just a copy/paste of my favorite dish

My recipte for Korean style fried chicken. The amounts are kinda questimates, since I usually just add stuff together.
You Americans need to figure the amount out by yourself. 

For the batter (enough for about 16 wings or drumsticks)
  • 3 egg whites
  • 3 tsp salt flakes
  • 100g sweet rice flour
  • 50g potato starch
  • 50g plain flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 2 tsp ground black pepper
  • 200 mL of water
  • Optional: Try adding a little bit of sesame oil to the batter.
First whisker the egg, the salt and the water until it's a bit fluffy. Then add the rest of the ingredients (except for around half the rice flour). Mix until you have an even batter

Sauce
  • 6 tbsp gochujang (Pangnang curry can also be used)
  • 3 cloves garlic, grated
  • 10cm piece of ginger,grated
  • 5 tbsp dark brown sugar
  • 4 tbsp dark soy
  • 4 tbsp rice vinegar
  • 2½ tbsp fish sauce
  • 1 tbsp sesame oil
Mix all of these togther in a pan at low heat. Let it simmer for 4-ish minutes and empty the pan into a bowl

Cooking the chicken
  • Heat up the oil to 170-180°C
  • Dip the chickens in the batter and roll it in the remaining rice flour
  • Fry the chickes for 7 min. each and dry them on a paper towel
  • When all the chicken has been cooked, fry the pieces again for 7 min. untill they are golden.
  • Dry on a paper towel again
  • Lastly, mix the chicken with the sauce, and serve.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

@Lotus

You call Burgers, Beans and Grilled Cheese cooking.....when you start to make things like Stew chicken, Shepherd's pie, Pelau, Ox tail soup, Chicken Cacciatore and dishes of this nature, call me.

A true cook, such as myself, cooks to taste(yes there are some guide line to follow) not to recipe and i always use Virgin Olive Oil.

Stew chicken...cook time 30-40 minutes on medium fire for the first 25 minutes then low heat for the 5-15 minutes, it depends on how much chicken you are stewing. Can be served on just about anything but i do it on some rice, a slice of macaroni pie, some potato salad/slices of provision(sweet potato, dasheen, plantain, cassava are just a few) and some green vegetables to garnish.

• Cleaned Chicken
  • Fresh green seasonings( fine thyme, ground fennel, black pepper, sea salt, onion, garlic and basil)
  • tomatoes/tomato paste
  • brown sugar
  • Lea&Perrin Worcestershire Sauce
  • Olive oil
  • Pimentos
  • Scotch Bonnet Pepper
  • Chicken Stock 

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

I cook allot of Asian style dishes particularly East Indian dishes. On YT you can find allot of legit East Indian house wives that show exactly how to cook all sorts of delicious dishes.

@Lotus

You call Burgers, Beans and Grilled Cheese cooking.....when you start to make things like Stew chicken, Shepherd's pie, Pelau, Ox tail soup, Chicken Cacciatore and dishes of this nature, call me.

A true cook, such as myself, cooks to taste(yes there are some guide line to follow) not to recipe and i always use Virgin Olive Oil.

Stew chicken...cook time 30-40 minutes on medium fire for the first 25 minutes then low heat for the 5-15 minutes, it depends on how much chicken you are stewing. Can be served on just about anything but i do it on some rice, a slice of macaroni pie, some potato salad/slices of provision(sweet potato, dasheen, plantain, cassava are just a few) and some green vegetables to garnish.

• Cleaned Chicken
  • Fresh green seasonings( fine thyme, ground fennel, black pepper, sea salt, onion, garlic and basil)
  • tomatoes/tomato paste
  • brown sugar
  • Lea&Perrin Worcestershire Sauce
  • Olive oil
  • Pimentos
  • Scotch Bonnet Pepper
  • Chicken Stock 

Coconut Oil is also a great cooking oil and does not burn at higher temps and cause toxic smoke like does Olive Oil. Clarified Butter or "Ghee" as it is referred to traditionally is also an excellent alternative to Olive Oil.

I like cooking....but only if I invite people.

I have a dish I like that is rather healthy.

Will attempt to translate the recipe into english as best as possible:P

You need:

500-600 grams of salmon. Must have a skin on one side so don't cut it off.

1-2 Organic Orange(There is an actual and non hippie reason for it to be organic in this case)..

1-2 Organic lemons

Some good oliveoil

A bit of salt

There are several ways to do this dish, but I like this way.

You take the orange and the lemon....Then you get the skin off like this(Can't remember what its called in english)

DSC04373.JPG

This is why they have to be organic. Since we don't eat the skin from oranges and lemons, they spray it with stuff to make them last longer and everything so its not good to eat the skin...so i always use organic oranges and lemons...Hell, its only a few so won't cost that much

marinade the salmon in the oil with a little salt and the orange and lemon skin and let it sit a little.

Cook the meat side first and when its done, give the skin side until its nice and crispy.

I like to make roated rootfruits with garrots, beetroot, and parsley root marinated with a little oil(too much isnt good) and salt and pebber and some spices.. Tastes AWESOME!

Resize+of+IMGP1290.JPG

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.