windows 10 thoughts ?

Well, I've been on the Technical Preview for several hours now... in fact, this is being written on it. So far, I love it.

The new look, between re-done system icons, metro apps running in Windows, and the new start/metro UI hybrid is just great. The new system icons have a very flat look, but it suits the rest of Windows, and would work very well on a mobile device as well. We all know MS is trying to unify the desktop and mobile experiences, so this just makes sense.

As for under the hood, I don't know much of what's changed in the kernel, or thins like address space layout, and so on. I've also yet to test things like boot time, and compare to another VM, or, my actual Windows 8 laptop, but I'll get to that eventually.

Some of the new features, I'm a huge fan of. Metro apps no longer run in full screen (unless on mobile) and instead run in windows like 3rd party software has allowed for a while. MS finally caught up with Linux, and allows multiple "desktops" where you can keep open windows/programs. I haven't played with this much to see what else it can do, but thus far, it looks like it's just for separating windows, as the background and icons stay the same. It's a great feature, and there's little cue to let you know when stuff is open on another desktop. Windows also allows for 2, 3, and 4 way snapping of windows now, which is great for productivity.Sadly... no Cortana yet though, apparently she was not ready for the tech preview, but I await her eagerly.

As for things I dislike... well, the charms bar, has been moved to a win + c key combo only, it seems. At the very least, the old dragging to the right corners doesn't work in my VM. Anyway, aside from that, the biggest complaint, and an absolute piss-off for me, has been that the PC settings, found under the charms bar menus.... has been completely re-done. Things have been added, removed, renamed and added. I just don't understand why they'd screw with that, but they did.

So far, I've had no bugs, and I've only had one crash, but I forced it to see if the blue screen was still the same as Windows 8/8.1.

Currently, I think I'm going to get 10 in some manner when it drops, however, I think I'm gonna get it months after, so there's been time to iron out some of the inevitable wrinkles, and to give me time to learn where shit got moved.

TL;DR: Love 90%, despise that they moved some of the, albeit not often used, settings around -_-

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

is this a rumor or a fact ? cus I haven't seen Microsoft announcing that officialy

Still just a rumor, as far as I know. Chances are though, those who have 8, will have to pay very little, if anything for 10, just the same as Vista - 7 was, and ultimately 8 - 8.1. Base kernel is still NT 6, just it's gone from .2 for 8, to .3 for 8.1, and now, .4 Not sure what within it has changed though, I'll start trying to look into that closer to launch.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

Im downloading it right now and going to give it a try. I will report back.

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

Installed it a few minutes ago kinda linking the changes. It does feel more at home while using it on my desktop.

I have it on my test rig. It is faster than Windows 8.1 for now, on SSD boots in ~6 seconds.

Interface is quite as Windows 8.1, just some few upgrades. Drivers still are fast and easy to find by Device manager.

Intel i7 2600 @ 4.2 Ghz | MSI Z77-GD55 | Crucial 16 GB DDR3 RAM 1600Mhz | Intel 330 SSD 180Gb | Western Digital Black 1Tb | Western Digital Green 2Tb | Gigabyte GTX 650 Ti | OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W | Thermaltake Commander MS-I case | OS X Yosemite | Dell Vostro 3550 Windows 10

Intel Xeon 1230 V2 | Gigabyte GA-H61M-S | Kingston 4Gb RAM 1333Mhz | Seagate 1TB  | Fractial Design Arc mini | Windows 10

I'll hop in the boat as well. From the screenshots, it's pretty great. I'm downloading this currently so I really can't share that 'much' of an opinion here. Will update this post as soon as I can get it up and running.

TrinityFX

CPU: i5-4440 @ 3.1Ghz RAM: Crucial 1 x 4GB @ 1.6Ghz  MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate GPU: PCS+ HD 7870 Ghz Edition | CASE: NZXT Source 210 Window | HDD #1: Toshiba 3.5" 500GB HDD #2: Toshiba 2.5" 500GB PSU: Cougar SL500 OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 

| https://pcpartpicker.com/b/2wccCJ |

Still just a rumor, as far as I know. Chances are though, those who have 8, will have to pay very little, if anything for 10, just the same as Vista - 7 was, and ultimately 8 - 8.1. Base kernel is still NT 6, just it's gone from .2 for 8, to .3 for 8.1, and now, .4 Not sure what within it has changed though, I'll start trying to look into that closer to launch.

yeah. well I downloaded the technical preview and really. I like how it works and how its made. although I need to find a way to get the old transparent windows from windows 7... that would be amazing...

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

although I need to find a way to get the old transparent windows from windows 7... that would be amazing...

Request/report it in the feedback app. Many, many other people have been. If they (Microsoft) ignore the request they are undoubtedly and unequivocally insane as there is serious demand for its return as at least an option.

Intel 3960X @ 4.6GHz Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD64GX3M8A2133C9 64GB | ASUS Rampage IV Extreme | 2*ASUS PG279Q EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X | 2*Corsair Force GT 256GB in R0 [OS Drive] | Samsung 850 Pro 1TB [secondary Drive] Hitachi Deskstar 7K4000 Raid 6 [8*4TB — Media Array] | PAN-UJ-235A Blu-Ray Slot Load | PAN-UJ-875A DVD Slot Load | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair H100i | Lian-Li PC-V2120X | LSI 9271-8i w/ Intel RES2SV240 | Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit | Ducky Shine II [Cherry MX Brown / Blue LED]

Request/report it in the feedback app. Many, many other people have been. If they (Microsoft) ignore the request they are undoubtedly and unequivocally insane as there is serious demand for its return as at least an option.

alredy done. as much as other things like including google chrome and removing internet explorer

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

im quite enjoying having a play with it, it feels like how windows 8 should've been

Microsoft just launched its new windows 10!!

first of all the name is quiet absurd, i mean 7 8 10 doesn't make a lot of sense.

Anyway, this new windows is what would happen if you cross win 7 with win 8, in a good way tho, and its pulled off very well!!

So what do you guyz think???

You mean 1, 2, 3, NT, 95, 98, 2000, Me, XP, Vista, 7, 8/8.1, 10.  So you may notice the naming of Windows its never been straight forward in fact it was nearly named Interface Manager but lucky it was named Windows 1.0

Cry Havoc!

This is the best review I've seen of Windows 10 yet

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

I cannot say im totally comfortable being unable to go to the start screen with a mouse if you choose to use the start menu

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

I really don't like the way it looks.  It all started to go wrong with those horribly cheap icons in Win7's notifications bar, then the Metro interface and now they let the same 5 year old who designed those Win7 icons do the entire UI. 

I'll sit this one out ... AGAIN

Im not impressed!

from what i have been able to tell so far all they have done is taken windows 8/8.1 and put a new GUI on it and done minor bug fixes.

I have had in on my works notebook for about 2 days. 

from what i can tell (looking in the file systems, registry, etc it is just windows8/8.1 but is 2 user interfaces. 
the first is the new windows explorer with there new (and very unpolished) start menu

And the other is the normal 8.1 explorer with the tiled start menu (which everyone loves to hate).

The sad bit is you can already get start menu replacements that are much better than this new one.

Win 10 Pro 64bit| Intel i5-4670k| Corsair H100i| ASUS Maximus VI GENE| 2x8GB PC3-14900 Corsair Vengeance Pro Red| MSI GeForce GTX 1070 | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro SSD| WD 3TB Red | WD Black 3tb | Corsair Obsidian 350D| Corsair AX760 | Dust |

Im not impressed!

from what i have been able to tell so far all they have done is taken windows 8/8.1 and put a new GUI on it and done minor bug fixes.

I have had in on my works notebook for about 2 days. 

from what i can tell (looking in the file systems, registry, etc it is just windows8/8.1 but is 2 user interfaces. 

the first is the new windows explorer with there new (and very unpolished) start menu

And the other is the normal 8.1 explorer with the tiled start menu (which everyone loves to hate).

The sad bit is you can already get start menu replacements that are much better than this new one.

It's a freaking EARLY BETA VERSION. Consider yourself lucky that you actually know it exists. most people don't even know that there's a beta release for windows 10, and even then they wouldn't know how to install it. This version is for beta testers who want to help iron out the bugs and suggest fixes for windows 10, something they didn't do with 8. For the first time in years, Microsoft is finally getting it's ass in gear and giving the people what they wanted in the first place.

Though if it isn't free, Linux will wipe the floor with them when the steam machine kicks off.

it sucks

Lol too much info!!!
You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

I am personally loving windows 10 so far. I haven't found any bugs and I am really liking the changes they did to CMD, fullscreen, copy/paste, I spend a lot of time in CMD now since I watch livestreams with VLC and it's just so much more convenient now. Also from a restart everything saves where it last was, I restarted my computer with CMD, steam, VLC, and chrome all open, booted in and they where all still open on the page I left them on! 

It's a freaking EARLY BETA VERSION. Consider yourself lucky that you actually know it exists. most people don't even know that there's a beta release for windows 10, and even then they wouldn't know how to install it. This version is for beta testers who want to help iron out the bugs and suggest fixes for windows 10, something they didn't do with 8. For the first time in years, Microsoft is finally getting it's ass in gear and giving the people what they wanted in the first place.

Though if it isn't free, Linux will wipe the floor with them when the steam machine kicks off.

Please under stand i have been doing beta test for microsoft for a long long time. 

also under stand that they have been working on this for almost 2 years before they release the open beat to the public!

so please try and under stand why i'm not impressed.  

if i took windows xp or windows 7 and resold it as windows 11 but with a new desktop theme and added directx 12 and 4k scaling would you still be willing to pay $100 or more for it ?

i'm not just a techy but i'm also a customer and i do not like to be misled and conned into thinking i'm getting something new when infact it's just something old with a new paint job.

Win 10 Pro 64bit| Intel i5-4670k| Corsair H100i| ASUS Maximus VI GENE| 2x8GB PC3-14900 Corsair Vengeance Pro Red| MSI GeForce GTX 1070 | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro SSD| WD 3TB Red | WD Black 3tb | Corsair Obsidian 350D| Corsair AX760 | Dust |

My Windows 10 Technical Preview First

Impression:

I am currently in the process of installing the Tech Preview on a partition on my laptop. 

You can get the ISO here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso

I've also watched a lot of coverage on Windows 10 from lots of youtubers. 

Tek Syndicate: 

Computer Clan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdUPXiglaKE

So far from what I have seen, I really like what i'm seeing so far. The virtual windows and quadrant pinning features are ones I've been waiting on for years. I am so excited to get started to using it on my native laptop hardware

I think anyone worrying about the whole telemetry thing needs to calm their tits. First of all, one whiff of suspicious activity, and Microsoft would be crushed under a class-action suit, lose all trust in it's user base and just slowly cease to exist. Microsoft is in a precarious position right now. It's market in supercomputers and servers is gone. It's market in smartphones is being destroyed by iOS and Linux, and its markets in PCs and Consoles are soon to be wiped off of the face of the planet by Linux. The release of Valve's Steam Machine will be the straw that breaks Microsoft's back. Linux will start properly supporting AMD and NVidia's drivers, and both companies will start actively developing drivers for Linux. Once that happens, it's all downhill from there. Unless Microsoft gets their act together and doesn't try anything funny, they won't survive long.

But 10 for the most part is pretty impressive. Ccleaner shows it as being a stunted version of Windows 8.1. They didn't do much. All they did was change the UI. Nothing else to it.

Please under stand i have been doing beta test for microsoft for a long long time. 

also under stand that they have been working on this for almost 2 years before they release the open beat to the public!

so please try and under stand why i'm not impressed.  

if i took windows xp or windows 7 and resold it as windows 11 but with a new desktop theme and added directx 12 and 4k scaling would you still be willing to pay $100 or more for it ?

i'm not just a techy but i'm also a customer and i do not like to be misled and conned into thinking i'm getting something new when infact it's just something old with a new paint job.

Windows 10 has more features than what you said. And, I can tell you from experience, that previews doesn't reveal all features. As features gets ready, they will be released via updates. Existing new features will be improved as they finish them, and process feedback received about them to make it better.

If you did beta tests of Windows before, you should know this VERY well.

Windows 10 has more features than what you said. And, I can tell you from experience, that previews doesn't reveal all features. As features gets ready, they will be released via updates. Existing new features will be improved as they finish them, and process feedback received about them to make it better.

If you did beta tests of Windows before, you should know this VERY well.

New features : 

hot key support in cmd (could already copy/paste)

4K scaling support (which 8.1 was meant to have)

4 corner snapping windows.

start menu with apps opening in a windows (new GUI)

intelligent input switching for new GUI (not working in tech preview)

Re-enabled feature (not new) where coding already existed in windows OS:

Virtual desktops 

Shadow copy

Voice support/searching (ok so this time it will finally work)