Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor definitely sounding like a bad console port. 6 GB of VRAM for 1080p?

DeViLzzz

http://www.kitguru.net/gaming/matthew-wilson/shadow-of-mordor-wants-6gb-of-vram-for-1080p-ultra-settings/

We already had Warner Bros. not sending out review codes and now there is the issue of this game supposedly requiring 6 GB of VRAM for ultra settings.  Does this have anything to do with this being a quick console port and the PS4 having 8 GB of GDDR5? (The PS4 8 GB comment is taken from the article and is not an opinion or whatever by me.)

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

http://www.kitguru.net/gaming/matthew-wilson/shadow-of-mordor-wants-6gb-of-vram-for-1080p-ultra-settings/

We already had Warner Bros. not sending out review codes and now there is the issue of this game supposedly requiring 6 GB of VRAM for ultra settings.  Does this have anything to do with this being a quick console port and the PS4 having 8 GB of GDDR5?

Well, I don't know, but I don't think so...The consoles use unified memory, but I doubt that they'd load non-texture resources into the VRAM on your video card. That is just stupid and I'm not even sure if that can even be done that easily (don't think DirectX supports that)...

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

Your last point doesn't make sense, the GDDR5 RAM in the PS4 is shared, if 6GB of it was used in the console version specifically for the GPU portion of the APU, it wouldn't run very well :P

Your last point doesn't make sense, the GDDR5 RAM in the PS4 is shared, if 6GB of it was used in the console version specifically for the GPU portion of the APU, it wouldn't run very well :P

GingerbreadPK are you talking to me?  For the record I only included the statement which was used at the bottom of the article as footnote or whatever.  I have had people complain before that I just put a link up and so from that point on I included things from the article or articles and this is what I did here.  It is not my opinion that this all happened because the PS4 has 8 GB of GDDR5 and so in the future I guess I will have to be more clear when I am quoting from a source.  Also let me say though I don't even understand what is behind memory sharing and can't even comment on what the PS4 does and what may be done on the PC with this game and other games do that come from PS4 first.

GingerbreadPK are you talking to me?  For the record I only included the statement which was used at the bottom of the article as footnote or whatever.  I have had people complain before that I just put a link up and so from that point on I included things from the article or articles and this is what I did here.  It is not my opinion that this all happened because the PS4 has 8 GB of GDDR5 and so in the future I guess I will have to be more clear when I am quoting from a source.  Also let me say though I don't even understand what is behind memory sharing and can't even comment on what the PS4 does and what may be done on the PC with this game and other games do that come from PS4 first.

You should use a quotation box when quoting an article.

They are clearly doing something wrong since the game doesn't even look better than Witcher 2 or Skyrim if you look at the video below.

Skyrim was embarrassingly bad looking in 2011, and while the Witcher 2 is great for a DX9 game,its just that, id give this the edge there too. there are plenty of bad textures in TW2 and this looks to have much better draw distances

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

You should use a quotation box when quoting an article.

GingerbreadPK geezus I know about quotations and again I said in the future I would try to do better but really I am making no money off this site so seriously I can only care so much. :S

AFAIK there's going to be an ultra-mega HD texture pack, you only need 6GB VRAM for that. I'll have to look into it.

Upon further investigation I have to conclude that this is a fuck up on their part. I'm pretty sure they meant RAM not VRAM, as the system requirements state that the recommended rig has a GTX 660 (2GB of VRAM) or a Radeon HD 7950 (3GB of VRAM). So I don't believe you need 6 GB of VRAM for ultra textures, that's just laughable. You'd have to pay a fortune for a rig like that.

"Same rules since the first man picked up the first stick and beat the second man's ass with it."

GingerbreadPK geezus I know about quotations and again I said in the future I would try to do better but really I am making no money off this site so seriously I can only care so much. :S

If you quote me you don't need to then call me by my name. I understand your reply is directed towards me.

If you quote me you don't need to then call me by my name. I understand your reply is directed towards me.

Are you trolling me?  I am allowed to call you by name even if I already quoted you.  Shoot me for it if you like but whatever.

Are you trolling me?  I am allowed to call you by name even if I already quoted you.  Shoot me for it if you like but whatever.

Trolling is against CoC I'm pointing out the redundancy of what you are doing.

Trolling is against CoC I'm pointing out the redundancy of what you are doing.

Oh the irony.

"Same rules since the first man picked up the first stick and beat the second man's ass with it."

WB did send out review codes for the PC version. PCGamer got one a few days ago and IGN mentioned they have one as well. The rumor of no PC review copies was wrong. Anyway, this is from an optional download for the game and no one knows if it really will require 6GB of VRAM or if it's an inflated requirement. Hopefully PCGamer will get a review up before Tuesday and talk about it, otherwise guess everyone that pre-ordered the game will find out on that day.

Misused word is misused.

No, you just have a lack of self-criticism. (THAT may have been a misuse of the word, but it's late and I'm tired :P)

I watched a trailer for it and I thought "Oh look the animations look like they came from Assassins Creed." but to make things worse, if this much VRAM is needed for this game that'll add to the amount of shit ports to avoid.

No, you just have a lack of self-criticism. (THAT may have been a misuse of the word, but it's late and I'm tired :P)

Sleep on it, than return.

So someone on NeoGAF posted some new info about this 6GB requirement. Post is here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=131855657&postcount=1209

Alright.

Ultra-Textures are not available yet, so the PC Gamer Vid only uses "High".

I doubt even the ultra-textures will use 6 Gigs on 1080p however - High uses 2.7 Gigs but with downsampling from 2720 x 1700 @ 1920 x 1200. Reason because I didn't try 1080 is because Mordor recognizes my downsampling-resolution as native and will only use percentages of that- so instead of 1080p I'll get some really weired ones like 1927 x 1187 or something like that (and I can't be arsed to fix it right now).

There is however a ingame-supersampling option so you can set the internal rendering to 200 % and will get effectivly 4K-Res while still being in 1080p. If I'd use that coming from 1080p instead of 1700p I'd wager you'd be around 3 Gigs. So the recommendation seems plausible.

So with Ultra-Textures taking somewhat more VRAM and Supersampling enabled, 4 Gigs might be just not enough, making the jump to 6 Gigs logical. - Remember: With Supersampling you're effectively running 4K not 1080p. Coming from there, I'd wager you'll be absolutely fine with 3 Gigs running this game with everything set to ultra, including textures but disabled supersamping.

It also runs very nice. Everything set to ultra except textures and downsampling I get an average framerate of just over 60 with some minor drops to ~50. Setting this to 4K, I still get 45+ with a R9 290X. This is an Nvidia-sponsored game, so Geforce-users will probably be at least slightly higher than this with a similar performing GPU (GTX 780- 780T i, Titan, GTX 970)
I'll test that more in-depth at some point next week, so we'll see.

So much for not opimized. 

So don't get your panties in a bunch ;-)