Calculating Audeze LCD 2's Power Requirement vs O2

BoredErica

Yeah, I specifically set out to find him to ask about your topic. The things I do for you..... :unsure:

To pop your balloons (y no evil emoticon....), he only did a speed read of the topic, and said 'this is interesting, I'll read more when I got the time', bcoz he was getting ready for other things, so I don't know if it's counted as 'officially approved' or not. I did suggest him to register to LTT, and give some insights. Mainly to avoid speculations and 'what-if' about Audezes. Dunno if he's gonna do that or not. He's been busy circling the globe atm.

*ummmm....souvenir cost: free. Actual souvenir cost: ~$1-$3. Shipping to USA cost: over $50  :wacko:

The details are unimportant.

This thread is now Audeze-approved.

All hail Nwavguy!

Btw,

Are you single?

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

The details are unimportant.

This thread is now Audeze-approved.

All hail Nwavguy!

Btw,

Are you single?

Anywayyyy.....

The one you're using is the LCD-X, right? I don't know, but it sounded a bit harsh to me. A few sharp edges, and volume fluctuations (big volume peaks). Maybe suitable for aggressive songs, but I tried with easy listening songs, and it sounded too much energy for me.... :unsure:

LCD-XC however, pure bliss.... Never could stand closed back headphones anymore, due to their 'claustrophobic' feeling, but the XC is different. Still felt closed, but good reverbs, like how it'd sound in a small singing studio. 

LCD-3, now that's THE thing. Perfectly balanced, smooth sounds. Everything just click into place with it. That $2600 tho....

Anywayyyy.....

The one you're using is the LCD-X, right? I don't know, but it sounded a bit harsh to me. A few sharp edges, and volume fluctuations (big volume peaks). Maybe suitable for aggressive songs, but I tried with easy listening songs, and it sounded too much energy for me.... :unsure:

LCD-XC however, pure bliss.... Never could stand closed back headphones anymore, due to their 'claustrophobic' feeling, but the XC is different. Still felt closed, but good reverbs, like how it'd sound in a small singing studio. 

LCD-3, now that's THE thing. Perfectly balanced, smooth sounds. Everything just click into place with it. That $2600 tho....

$2600? I thought it was $1945? 

$2600? I thought it was $1945? 

He is 4n

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Anywayyyy.....

If you want, tell Alex that you're Dark_wizzie's buddy. That'll get you a discount for sure.  :)  *Nods* Alex and I, we're practically besties already!

y u no try alpha dawg y

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

If you want, tell Alex that you're Dark_wizzie's buddy. That'll get you a discount for sure.  :)  *Nods* Alex and I, we're practically besties already!

y u no try alpha dawg y

Tried one of the modded T5RP, dunno if it's alpha dog or mad dog. Feels too closed for me.....

Tried one of the modded T5RP, dunno if it's alpha dog or mad dog. Feels too closed for me.....

People like to say that Alpha Dog is one of the most open-sounding closed headphones out there. If I were after a closed-planar I would pick Alpha Dog. The LCD-XC costs much more and is much heavier (even heavier than LCDX).

Alpha Dog has a different earcup... it's like red wood. It looks nothing like the T50RP it was modded from because the cups are 3d-printed. The Mad Dog are black, T50RP thingies.

People like to say that Alpha Dog is one of the most open-sounding closed headphones out there. If I were after a closed-planar I would pick Alpha Dog. The LCD-XC costs much more and is much heavier (even heavier than LCDX).

Alpha Dog has a different earcup... it's like red wood. It looks nothing like the T50RP it was modded from because the cups are 3d-printed. The Mad Dog are black, T50RP thingies.

Ah, then I think it was the alpha dog. I remember it to be dark red or something. Only tried it in a flash, so I don't remember much.

Price is $2k. There was one for sale used for $1450 I think, nonfazored.

razerdogaudio sells it for $1525, and the open box model is pretty much new. Got my LCD-2 "Open-Box Model" from them and I wouldn't have thought they were "used" if it didn't say so on the store 

Maybe they literally opened the box and then closed it, and then sold it as open-box. ...That's how car depreciation works, amirite?

Maybe they literally opened the box and then closed it, and then sold it as open-box.

Pretty much, they said they were taken out of the box for photos xD 

Anyways...

Did anybody learn anything from this thread or was it just me?

Can't say much, as I only have 1 single experience with JDSlabs' O2 (the one I wrote in another thread), and it wasn't a good experience. Most probably just a faulty single unit, though. Haven't tried any O2 again since, so yeah, still can't say much. Having said that, I think I agree with you, the O2 should be enough to properly drive most planars (unless maybe something like HE-6, maybe), based on its specs.

Personally, I choose to go with what I experienced.

- A Xonar DG, with the built-in head-amp falters with HE-400

- iPad can drive the HE-400 to a decent level, but sounds a bit 'lame'

- An external amp makes planars sound better. Don't even need a multi-thousand bucks amp, just a nice decent powered amp will do. The $25 Lepai does wonders (except for the noise floors, though)

- Lower frequencies need more current. Have you watch my video?

Don't hate me for this, but I honestly think the latter addition to the original post is a bit too much. It's a bit 'head-fi-ish'. The topic is solid and sound, it's just the latter addition's wording. I mean, even scientist won't say something like 'all hail Einstein, the true God of physics', and something like 'I won't tolerate anybody who doesn't agree with relativity laws'... :P

Reason I say this is partly because this topic actually got the potential to be a reference article for others. It even started to attract big names, Rosson for example. Imagine how they will react when reading that last wording though...

*I'll edit this post, should you choose to rectify the post.... :)

I saw the price at Audeze's website xD 

Then I guess it's the amazon seller's price that's a bit high.

In converted currency, yeah the LCD-3 is around 2 grand in my country.

He-6 with O2 is still kindda sketchy. ODA to the rescue!

I was thinking of things to buy for the holidays. I was thinking of a Ducky Legend TKL, but a rep told me it won't come in TKL. So I was thinking maybe an ODA. If... it actually comes out for sale.  :rolleyes: @Mayflower hint hint wink wink nudge nudge JUST RELEASE IT ALREADY (JK, I'd rather wait for a complete product than buy an early, buggy version.)

Rosson only skimmed the thread at your request. There were juicy-looking pictures and lots of numbers. That's enough to get people to say "oh, looks legit", and then not bother reading it. Nwavguy has given as so much. Not just the Objective and its spinoffs, but that blog is a cornucopia of knowledge. And despite all that, many people don't know him and have never read his blog and the information contained therein. So, maybe I am pessimistic about the reach of my thread,

You know that I did more than just add the conclusion in my last edit, right? (You probably do, just making sure.) Part of what I say in the past have been jokes, some are actual opinions. There's a difference between having a different preference and denying reality. I tolerate people who deny reality all the time, and not just in audio. I've managed to post on Headfi without getting banned so far and I anticipate that to continue. But of course, our beliefs have consequences, and I see people repeat old audiophile myths about picky headphones and an amp "not being enough" for a headphone (not enough as in what? Because there sure is enough power.) People are being misled and basically their money are being stolen.

For the record, Nwavguy's own blog contains more words attacking tube amps and other things of that sort than my thread. Maybe I'll edit the conclusion. I dunno.

I spent so many hours on this thread and I learned so much. I was very eager to share what I had learned and how it all finally made sense. I didn't really see the same enthusiasm back though (positive or negative).

Then I guess it's the amazon seller's price that's a bit high.

In converted currency, yeah the LCD-3 is around 2 grand in my country.

Buying Audeze headphones on Amazon tends to suck (for some odd reason). That is why I bought it off Headfi instead of Amazon.

Haha, I was lurking around forums and somebody mentioned Penn and Teller's one episode on organic food... They took one banana, cut it in half, told people one was organic, another was normal... and lo-and-behold, 9/10 people preferred the organic one. We like to think we have no biases or that they are not significant... but from what I've seen, the more we think that way, the more biased we are.  :rolleyes: Ohhh, placebo and expectation bias are reserved for those crazy Headfiers who believe in million dollar cables! Nooope. I'm biased, you're biased. Our senses are way more fallible than we think. (I never bothered to buy organic fruits anyways.)

I really think the headphone industry needs to find a way to devise proper blind testing. Although of course, we can do that with amps and dacs already and we all know the state of those nowadays.

Anyways.

I think a blind test between onboard vs Odac is in order soon...  More for fun than anything else , because I'll be keeping the Odac regardless of the results.

Haha, I was lurking around forums and somebody mentioned Penn and Teller's one episode on organic food... They took one banana, cut it in half, told people one was organic, another was normal... and lo-and-behold, 9/10 people preferred the organic one. We like to think we have no biases or that they are not significant... but from what I've seen, the more we think that way, the more biased we are.  :rolleyes: Ohhh, placebo and expectation bias are reserved for those crazy Headfiers who believe in million dollar cables! Nooope. I'm biased, you're biased. Our senses are way more fallible than we think. (I never bothered to buy organic fruits anyways.)

I really think the headphone industry needs to find a way to devise proper blind testing. Although of course, we can do that with amps and dacs already and we all know the state of those nowadays.

Anyways.

I think a blind test between onboard vs Odac is in order soon...  More for fun than anything else , because I'll be keeping the Odac regardless of the results.

When it comes to tastes, it's all biased. It's like eating a steak in a 5-stars French restaurant, with all the chandeliers, dim lighting, and string musicians playing love songs. Take that very same steak, and eat it on a footsteps in a back alley, and it will taste much less appealing. 

Confucius (the philosopher) actually realized and discussed about this, some thousands years back (he died on 479 BC).

There was an actual social experiment conducted by Washington Post. A grammy winning violinist, Joshua Bell, often performed in concerts. He was wearing T-shirt and baseball cap, went to Metro subway, playing his $3 million dollars violin as a street performer, playing a full arrangement. The result, 1070 people never payed attention, only 27 stopped for a short moment to hear him play. http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/joshua-bell-is-playing-in-the-metro-again-this-time-you-can-plan-to-be-there/2014/09/23/7a699e28-4282-11e4-9a15-137aa0153527_story.html

I like the message. You can't appreciate something if your mind is not set on 'appreciating' mode. 

When it comes to tastes, it's all biased. It's like eating a steak in a 5-stars French restaurant, with all the chandeliers, dim lighting, and string musicians playing love songs. Take that very same steak, and eat it on a footsteps in a back alley, and it will taste much less appealing. 

Confucius (the philosopher) actually realized and discussed about this, some thousands years back (he died on 479 BC).

There was an actual social experiment conducted by Washington Post. A grammy winning violinist, Joshua Bell, often performed in concerts. He was wearing T-shirt and baseball cap, went to Metro subway, playing his $3 million dollars violin as a street performer, playing a full arrangement. The result, 1070 people never payed attention, only 27 stopped for a short moment to hear him play. http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/joshua-bell-is-playing-in-the-metro-again-this-time-you-can-plan-to-be-there/2014/09/23/7a699e28-4282-11e4-9a15-137aa0153527_story.html

I like the message. You can't appreciate something if your mind is not set on 'appreciating' mode. 

That's irrelevant to buying gear A vs gear B, unless knowing you just spent tons of money puts you into an appreciating mood...

That's irrelevant to buying gear A vs gear B, unless knowing you just spent tons of money puts you into an appreciating mood...

That's actually true.

I chatted with some people on the USF (that's where I met Rosson :) ), and there's 1 sentence that I think hit the spot. What you should do about audios is, sit down, don't say anything or ask anything, just shut up and listen to the device (whatever it is, headphone, amp, IEM, etc). If you like it then you like it, and vice versa.....

That's actually true.

I chatted with some people on the USF (that's where I met Rosson :) ), and there's 1 sentence that I think hit the spot. What you should do about audios is, sit down, don't say anything or ask anything, just shut up and listen to the device (whatever it is, headphone, amp, IEM, etc). If you like it then you like it, and vice versa.....

...In a blind test when possible.  -_-

USF stands for University of San Francisco.

Forgot this: try this program: TT DR offline meter. Just google it, I forgot where the link is from :)

Load a song, and it will calculate the dynamic range of that song, on the left and right channel separately. Bad news is, it only works with WAV and MP3.